Turkeys???

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Turkeys???

Postby apflyingleap » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Anybody else get their turkey permits today?
apflyingleap
hunter

Re: Turkeys???

Postby kgrant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:09 am

i did not put in for it i have no clue where to go or what the hell to do if i did. I have always wantd to give it a whirl though. Is it any good here in utah?
kgrant
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:46 am

I just went online and bought a general state-wide permit. I have no idea if the hunting is any good. I've never done it. But, I keep seeing turkeys when I'm out and about fishing, hiking, there's even a flock on the local golf course. I've ordered a couple of calls and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. If nothing else, it's a chance to extend the hunting season and get out with my son. We've had fun trying to teach ourselves the ins and outs. If you decide to try, stay in touch and we'll make a go of it.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby BBQ Fingers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am

I'm going to try it this year. I've seen some in the Stockten area. I've also heard of some news stories that they are catching and reloacating them from Cache County because they have so many.

I have no idea what I'm doiong but I figure I've got to start somewhere. I'm a new hunter and my family still isn't into the game meet, so I figure it woun't be a big deal if they out smart me this year.

My main two questions are: What kind of chokes to use and what about the load? Can I use a modified choke or is it really better to get a different choke?
BBQ Fingers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am

You really need a full choke. If you've got the ability, you can get chokes specifically for turkey. You have to be able to reach out there a ways so you need a tight pattern. You're also shooting at the head (from what I've seen and read) so you need concentrated firepower. I'm anticipating shooting 2s or BB. Check the website turkeyhunting247.com they seem to have a lot of good information. A little time on the web is really valuable. lots of good info here as well: http://www.nwtf.org/
Here's the Utah info: http://www.nwtf.org/in_your_state/lists.php?STATE=UT

Let's keep in touch and see what we can all learn.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby BBQ Fingers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for the input. I will check out those web sites. I've YouTubed turkey hunting a bit, but still need some reaseach for sure. I hope to also go with someone who has at least a little experience.
BBQ Fingers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm looking around for someone whose got that experience myself. If I found anybody, I'll let you know!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 am

apflyingleap wrote:You really need a full choke. If you've got the ability, you can get chokes specifically for turkey. You have to be able to reach out there a ways so you need a tight pattern. You're also shooting at the head (from what I've seen and read) so you need concentrated firepower. I'm anticipating shooting 2s or BB. Check the website turkeyhunting247.com they seem to have a lot of good information. A little time on the web is really valuable. lots of good info here as well: http://www.nwtf.org/
Here's the Utah info: http://www.nwtf.org/in_your_state/lists.php?STATE=UT

Let's keep in touch and see what we can all learn.

Well your heading the right direction with a full choke but think tighter then that. Also you are trying to head shoot a gobbler only. No body punches. The 2 shot will not give enough pellets for putting multiple hits to the head and neck. Think at least 1 7/8 oz of 5 or 6 shot and at least 100 plus hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards to get the job done right. My 12 bore load puts 138 pellets in a 10" ring at 45 yards.

Next lots of scouting and practice on the call but do not practice your calling while scouting, you'll only educate the birds.

Next lots of reading on setting up and learning when to call and when not to. Patience goes a long ways when hunting gobblers.

Its a fun time and good luck guys!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks HH. You still coming up this way next month?
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Been doing a little research..

NWTF has several VERY active Utah chapters. facebook and website:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Utah ... ts&fref=ts

http://www.utahnwtf.org/

Contact info:

http://www.utahnwtf.org/contact/index.shtml

A central Utah chapter, Salt Creek Gobblers, has a banquet tomorrow night. Here's their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/18755227 ... ts&fref=ts

I've spoken to Jody Rose and Lynn Worwood. They were very enthusiastic about helping and encouraging me. I recommend you find an event close to you and go meet some of the chapter members. I'm sure you'll find all the help you need.

Also, there is a turkey day at Cabela's next Saturday, 9 March. Should be a lot of advice available there.

Last thing, turkey permits are over the counter, unlimited. So, you have no excuse for not giving it a try!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Who has been out???? My son and I got up to Cache Valley for the youth opener and actually found some birds. The lead us on quite the "wild goose chase" but we couldn't get close enough. We had a great time, though. We'll be back at it.

Fun to be hunting birds in shirt sleeves and 70 degree weather.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Sounds like a fun time. I unfortunately missed my bird opening morn. FYI it helps to put your stock into the sweet spot on your shoulder and not on your bicep lol. My wife tagged out opening night. Good news is I have 4 days starting sat to get it done.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 pm

A little avian version of "buck fever?" That's fantastic! Get some pictures up for us.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby BBQ Fingers » Mon May 06, 2013 3:42 pm

I went to southern Utah. I heard a bunch and saw all the signs, but could never get them to come in. Apparently they don't like people very much. My fist year trying, and must not make good turkey calls. Still fun but would be more fun if I could have bagged one.
BBQ Fingers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I have a feeling we might be in the same boat. Went out Friday again, no turkeys, BUT we did jump some mallards off a series of beaver ponds...I think we'll be back in October for ducks.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Attachments
tapaupload0.jpg
tapaupload0.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Well my last minute monster lol. I have worked the big bird I missed opening day for the last 4 mornings. I had him close every morning but could not get him to finish. Still it was a very fun hunt just wish I had more time this year to chase them.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm

apflyingleap wrote:A little avian version of "buck fever?" That's fantastic! Get some pictures up for us.

Lol might have been. Its hard to move the gun into position with a hen breathing down your neck. It was just a tough set up.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 am

That is so great! Gives you something to look forward to next season. Congrats on this one. My schedule is getting crazy and I won't be able to get out again for a week or so. Heading down to Escalante for a location scout next week and will take my shotgun along just in case I stumble across something. Thanks for posting the picture.
apflyingleap
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting