Patterning My Shotgun

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Patterning My Shotgun

Postby kgrant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am

So im going out in a couple weeks to pattern my scatter gun. and was wondering if any of you fine gentle men would want to come and tag along and give me a hand or if any of you have any advice on shot shell loads or the way to do things . I shoot a winchester sxp with carlsons ext LM , Mod tubes and A tristar o/u with same chokes. anywho any advise would be helpful thanks guys :beer:
kgrant
hunter

Re: Patterning My Shotgun

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

There is probably a really good, systematic approach to patterning a shotgun, but what I do is take several different loads (#2, #4, BB, etc) and several different brands (rem, federal, kents, etc.) and pattern at 30, 40, 50 yards. I also pattern with my factory choke and any after market choke I might use (kicks, pattern master, etc).

You will be suprised at how, for example, #2 shot between different manufacturers will pattern differently.

Find the right combination and it WILL make you a more lethal shooter.

Good luck bud.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby kgrant » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks Locked for the advice ill jsut have to go have a whack at it. I think im going to shoot pattern the winchester experts the federals and kent. From what i hear though Kent isnt a good shell any opinions on that? also i wish i could afford another set of chokes but im already in 160 bucks for the four i have lol
kgrant
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm

kgrant wrote:Thanks Locked for the advice ill jsut have to go have a whack at it. I think im going to shoot pattern the winchester experts the federals and kent. From what i hear though Kent isnt a good shell any opinions on that? also i wish i could afford another set of chokes but im already in 160 bucks for the four i have lol

I've heard others say they hate kent shells, but ive shot a lot of them and have never had any problems with them. I'm not a big fan of the winchester xperts, they seem to be a really dirty shell and leave tons of powder and residue in the fun after shooting them. I think my favorite waterfowl shells are federals. Federal #2s seem to pattern best in my gun.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
kgrant wrote:Thanks Locked for the advice ill jsut have to go have a whack at it. I think im going to shoot pattern the winchester experts the federals and kent. From what i hear though Kent isnt a good shell any opinions on that? also i wish i could afford another set of chokes but im already in 160 bucks for the four i have lol

I've heard others say they hate kent shells, but ive shot a lot of them and have never had any problems with them. I'm not a big fan of the winchester xperts, they seem to be a really dirty shell and leave tons of powder and residue in the gun after shooting them. I think my favorite waterfowl shells are federals. Federal #2s seem to pattern best in my gun.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby cootlover » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I think the people that hate kents dont want to spend the extra money. I been shooting them for every never had one hiccup I think there the best out there at least out of my 20 gauge.
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 pm

I've not had a problem with Kent's, they've always worked for me out of my 20 ga.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I like Kents.

I draw a thirty inch Diameter circle on a piece of paper with a dot in the center. I shoot it with my load at the distance I will most often shoot. You will learn about where your gun shoots as well. I think most of mine shoot about 2/3 high. Look to see that the shot is evenly spread and a duck could not pass through any holes without being hit by several pellets. I do most all of my waterfowl shooting inside of 30 yards so I have not really patterned beyond that for years so I am worthless there. I usually pattern at 20 25 and 30. I like IC to Skeet in those ranges with 1 1/8 oz shot. I shoot IC most of the time these days.
good luck Grant.
Bret
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 pm

I've shot Kent's a lot but they did have a rash of low seated primers for a while, I stopped using them during that time.

I'm not a big fan of federals except for my 20 ga prefers those.

My SBE with a briley LM tube is absolutely deadly with Winchester expert 3" # 3's and/or 2 3/4" # 4's.

I despise Remington steele shot loads.. So do my guns! :mad:
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting