Wood Ducks Being Over Hunted

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Wood Ducks Being Over Hunted

Postby captain68 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 pm

I went out today to do my annual maintenance of several wood duck boxes that I have had up for the last several years. Every year since I put the boxes up more and more of the boxes would get used. Last year every box that I had up had ducks in them and some were being used twice a year. Unfortunatley, word got out that there were wood ducks in the area last fall. I had guys telling me that they were shooting up to three limits of wood ducks a day :no: . I was a little worried about the impact this would have on the population after hearing the numbers of woodies that were being harvested. Well, today verified my worst nightmares. Of all the boxes that I checked none are being used, and I saw no wood ducks. I can't help feel a little disappointed. This is not an urban population, and is miles away from any city park. Either they need to put a restriction on these ducks, or people need to start showing a little more restraint. OK guys, start with the bone headed remarks about how no one is breaking any laws and that I should not be disappointed.
captain68
Newb

Re: Wood Ducks Being Over Hunted

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 pm

This was the entire reason I dropped the Utah forum. I may be shooting myself in the foot by posting this and returning like I promised I would not do. All the boxes I've checked are empty and there is not a woodie in sight. If you become a part of this forum, go ahead and look back at what's been said about wood ducks here. Some kid posted where to shoot them. To this day, there are people there EVERY SINGLE DAY either fishing or shooting guns (on the public part) and during the hunt the ducks were slaughtered and have yet to return. This has never happened. The wood duck boxes there were destroyed and I've even picked up recently shot steel shot shells. I'm not sure if I support a limit or restrictions, but I'd say I wished these kids had more ethics and that their fathers would have taught them better. I'm passionate about the matter but there will always be someone that ruins it for the rest of us. I'd say just keep scouting for places to put boxes and carry on. And please don't ever tell anyone where you plant these boxes or where you've seen wood ducks.

By the way, thank you for what you have done for them so far.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Curtis 870 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:15 pm

How big sould the boxes be? I have stumbled apon a woody and would like to build him a home is there a site to get specs for them?
Curtis 870
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Sorry for all hard work ,love and time spent on the woodies to have people ruin it. Its sad people think its ok to shoot a limit of them I know its legal but really. It was legal to hunt bison way back when and look what happened :no:
cootlover
hunter

Postby WOW » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Hey folks, first post here, I don't post up much, other than something such as this.

Good to hear from you Jim, it's that time of the year;)

It's true, wood ducks have become a bit of a target here in Utah, but honestly, this shouldn't surprise us. We've gone to great lengths to keep the WOW program close to us, as Utah's wood duck population was in a "quite frail" situation. Given all the facts, wood ducks didn't rank anywhere near the top of the charts on "the list of importance" here in the state. It has taken years of hard work from a community of people to get us to this point. We've suffered some hearty setbacks, but continue to make great great strides in terms of having a positive impact. We've spent the past four years intensely studying different aspects of the dynamics to our woody's. there have been a host of thesis's done each year by as we continue to shed light on the seriousness of our local population. We've kept a close eye on target hunting, yes evening over hunting. When you slap a band on an avian species, word gets out, and it's gonna be targeted. We new this and have tried to be prepared. Further, we've even wondered when some individual would think he was ahead of the game and start robbing the nests...and we're currently helping educate such lack of intelligence in that manor. But, all in all, the WOW program continues producing success stories. This may sound a bit boastful, but it's backed by solid numbers and years of science; the Wild Over Wood Ducks (WOW) nesting program is more than a science, it's become an art form. With over 1000 boxes placed, we've earned our wings;) just last month, I received an invite from CWA present at their Wood Duck Symposium.

So, long winded, yes, but given the amount of passion and efforts, it's certainly worthy of addressing a few points. If you would like to keep closer tabs on these efforts, drop me a line. If you would like to learn more about these efforts on line, check it out at wildoverwoodducks.org where you will find a myriad of reading material regarding the history of WOW. Even a time proven, fail proof box plan;)

Cheers!
Carl B Taylor
Carl@carlbtaylor.com
WOW
Newb

Postby OPEY 78 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am

This saddens me a well I have hunted for years and until last year the wood duck population seemed to be on the rise. Let me know if I can help with any kind of repair to the boxes or build new ones. Thanks
OPEY 78
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 am

Pretty sad what greed does to people. I'm also wondering how much damage weber county has done to the population? They've taken tons of trees off the river bank. I haven't seen the turkeys since they've been in the river bottoms.

JR, glad to see you back down here. :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Fri May 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Why is there not a limit on this species in Utah? I have never shot one in Utah, I hunted over 60 days last year and had some great success but never saw a woodie. I really don't have a huge desire to shot one after all the debate, ethically if I had the opportunity to bag one I would but I would not shot a limit of them even if they were thick in one spot. To me it is sort of like bagging 7 hens its legal(and I know you can't bag 7 hens of pinners and mallard) but I wouldn't do it. It is to bad if the population is decimated. I hope this is not the case but fearful you boys may be right....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am

Glad to see you post up here Carl. I know that these forums aren’t exactly your cup of tea but post like this really do help. I hope as the season quickly approaches people are reading these posts and are hopefully reminded of how lucky we are to have the number of woodies we have, and at the same time not taking it for granite. I also hope people are realizing how much work goes into the woody population here in Utah. Some people need a good hit in the head to realize that we are not out trying to expand the wood duck population just so these idiots can go out and harvest a limit of them.
richyrich307
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Thu May 23, 2013 3:18 pm

It makes me angry to see people do this i help out WoW and the area i work on is doing great as of last year haven't had time to check them this year to see if its affect that area yet but people are ignorant the time and effort and money that goes into this every year heck i have seen when people use the boxes for target practice when there are eggs in them that mad me mad we just need to get involved
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Sad to read what you are experiencing in Utah with the Woodies.
Our Chapter of DU here in Idaho has made a joint effort to put up about 45 boxes this year so far (Most before this nest season), and I currently have 24 more in my garage or driveway to go up as soon as I can get the guards put together, and I'm hoping to build 75 more and install them before summer's end.
As yet, our biggest hurdle has been Starlings taking over the boxes....50%+ Any suggestions to overcome this?
I'm thinking of screening off the holes until 'most' Starlings have committed to a nest somewhere else in the spring, opening them up and then loading the chips, but this may not be the best solution if another can be found!

Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 16FtMuddBuddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 am

Hey guys... Cudos to all of you who have taken the time to try to help. I agree the Wood Duck should be more protected like the Pintail or the Canvassback here in Utah. It is in my opinion one of the most beautiful ducks around. Where I hunt there are a good amount of woodies early in the season they seem to jump ship when the weather starts getting too cold. We dont shoot them simply because they are just simply cool to watch. Keep up the efforts!
16FtMuddBuddy
Newb

Return to Utah Duck Hunting