Shot Shell Reloading

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Shot Shell Reloading

Postby meekhunter7 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 pm

I am wondering if i need a certain primer and powder to reload steel? About how many shells can a guy reload on a one pound bottle of powder? Is it necessary to reload 3" or would you be ok reloading 2 2/3"? Any way thanks for any help.
meekhunter7
hunter

Re: Shot Shell Reloading

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:22 pm

meekhunter7 wrote:I am wondering if i need a certain primer and powder to reload steel? About how many shells can a guy reload on a one pound bottle of powder? Is it necessary to reload 3" or would you be ok reloading 2 2/3"? Any way thanks for any help.

Post up in the shotshell, ballistic, choke forum above. Be prepared a crap storm though.

Yes you need specific powders, wads, primers and hulls depending on your load. Also 95% steel loads use steel powder which has to be weighed by hand or through an electronic power measure. The steel shot needs steel charge bars to measure and flow properly. You can load 2 3/4" loads that will kill further then you should be shooting so no 3" is not necessary. As for loads per lb of powder that depends on the loads powder charge.

As far as loading to save money, it don't save much. To kill birds with loads you have taylored for your needs, Priceless!

Good luck and have fun. Feel free to PM myself or you could try Toasty from this forum as he loads far more 12 bore then I do. I load all my 10 bore loads.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting