New Waterfowl Slam program

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

New Waterfowl Slam program

Postby ziggy15 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm interested in learning more about this program that I read about in the http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/201 ... _draft.pdf.

I tried the link, however, and it was unavailable. Does anyone know more about the new Waterfowl Slam Program?
ziggy15
hunter

Re: New Waterfowl Slam program

Postby Gonegoosin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:38 pm

ziggy15 wrote:I'm interested in learning more about this program that I read about in the http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/201 ... _draft.pdf.

I tried the link, however, and it was unavailable. Does anyone know more about the new Waterfowl Slam Program?

I'm glad to hear you are excited to learn more. This program will be introduced at this weekends UWA Youth Fair at Farmington Bay. In fact, there has been a special band created that each registered youth will be given for participating in the Youth Fair. We will have examples of each Slam available for this season as well as information as to how you can participate at the program. This is a great program introduced by the DWR that will help with education (bird ID) and create a friendly competition between friends and family members. And the best part of it, is that the money earned goes right back to the Waterfowl program to help with projects like the J Dike at Farmington Bay and many others. We hope everyone will get behind this program, support it and introduce it to others. I will ask about the link to see if we can get it up and running tomorrow.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:21 pm

cant wait to hear more about this as time goes on has anyone been able to make the link work yet
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby ziggy15 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm

The link is up an going: http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/component/ ... -slam.html

It sounds really cool, but I really think they'd get a better response if it was less money. I feel like I'm buying a combination license all over again. I for one will not be buying one this year just because of the price. I'll take my chances with shooting more banded birds then pay the $35 for the only guaranteed band (COOTS). The mallard one shouldn't be too hard either, but again, the price just seems too high for something that i'm already doing. If it was $10 or maybe $15 I'd already have bought it by now. :no:
ziggy15
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I must have missed something?
Pay $35.00 for a challenge you could do for free, and a chance to get some bands?
I see Zero (00000) chance of this being successful.
I understand the money goes back into the resource but still?
CAM_C
hunter

Postby dwall » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:56 am

I think there is quite a bit of confusion on this! I spoke to a DWR official about this, he told me that you are going out hunting like normal and when you accomplish a slam you can ether take a picture or take them in to sportsmans warehouse abd they will have the slam band to give to you then. So the bands are not on any birds you are just killing the birds in your slam and getting your band from sportsmans. This is how I understand it and it makes alot more sense then them putting the bands on the birds because like someone mentioned earlier, the banded birds could move on tomorrow and you would never see them again!!!! So hopefully this helps.
dwall
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:39 pm

I think it is a test to see just how dumb Utah duck hunters are! :yes:
Give them $35.00 jump through a hoop and get a jewelry band worth .50 cents. :clapping:

Just go shoot your slam and pat yourself on the back, show all your buddies the pic, then take your wife out to dinner with the $35.00, you know you will just loose the band anyways. If you want to donate to a good cause then just give to a cause no strings attached.
CAM_C
hunter

Postby Jeff Bringhurst » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 pm

100% of the money raised by this program will go directly back in to the waterfowl resources around the state. We all know the WMAs could use some love, this is a way for us to give back to the resource and have a little friendly competition at the same time. :thumbsup:
Mossy Oak
Rig em Right
Hevi shot
Lucky Duck
Jeff Bringhurst
hunter

Postby ziggy15 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 pm

:clapping:
CAM_C wrote:I think it is a test to see just how dumb Utah duck hunters are! :yes:
Give them $35.00 jump through a hoop and get a jewelry band worth .50 cents. :clapping:

Just go shoot your slam and pat yourself on the back, show all your buddies the pic, then take your wife out to dinner with the $35.00, you know you will just loose the band anyways. If you want to donate to a good cause then just give to a cause no strings attached.
ziggy15
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 pm

will think this is waste this waterfowl slam what joke dnr is here . if they want to rise money the should bring back the state duck stamp for ten dollors .
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby Simple » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm

I just bought my slam card today. I think this is a cool deal. Yeah im sure you could do all of these challenges without buying a card, but what fun is that. My buddies have made it a contest between each other to see who can do the best. Its fun plus it will force you to learn to identify ducks BEFORE you shoot them. Good deal plus our marsh could use a little money for some updates.
Simple
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Guys, head on over to the Utah Wildlife Network if you have questions about this program. The State Waterfowl Coordinator is answering questions daily as they are posted.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby firebird » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm excited about this program-there is an opportunity for everyone to get an extra band or two based on skill rather than dumb luck and the money goes to benefit all us fowl guys (and gals) out there. Kudos to those involved in bringing the program to pass and good luck to those of you participating.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Simple » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Ive kicked my slam off already, This is pretty fun guys. I have achieved to easy ones right off.
FIRST GOOSE, and FIRST DUCK. Took a picture and went into sportsmans and received a band for each.

I have also checked off Cinnamon teal off the puddler slam. Ill post pictures as I go.
Simple
hunter

Postby Simple » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:26 pm

First Goose slam
First Goose Band
Simple
hunter

Postby Jeff Bringhurst » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Simple wrote:Image
First Goose slam