Bought A Air Boat

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Bought A Air Boat

Postby Curtis 870 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am

Me And My Buddy's Bought A Air Boat To Start the 13-14 Hunt Wish Us Luck!
Attachments
Air Boat.jpg
Curtis 870
hunter

Re: Bought A Air Boat

Postby Kevin N » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm

HA...... good luck!!!!

does the boat have chines on the side? My fist boat did not and dang near flipped it. got home from the hunt and sold it. you will find out that just because you have an air boat makes each duck more expensive to harvest, and boat repairs suck. and total number of birds harvested will no go up as to prior years. welcome to headaches and fun... join the UAB association and get on the list so when... WHEN.. you need help and a tow you can get help.
Kevin N
hunter

Postby Curtis 870 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I hope the bird count goes up and hopefully we done have to many repairs. How do chines on the side help? I also plan on becoming a member of UAB. (Thanks for the info)
Curtis 870
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Chines make it so there is no square edge on the bottom.. you will learn that going straight on the mud doesn't happen all the time. if you have a edge and throttle into it the boat will dig in and over it goes.. I pitched my dog and Brother out of the boat and scared the heck out of us. my guess is you will be loaded up with your buddies. so go slow and plan you moves before you start to slide.. the biggest misconception of getting an air boat is more ducks... no so much the case. you still have to scout and work at it. now you have to worry about getting in a bad situation, getting stuck sucks.. not a question of if, but when.
Kevin N
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Hey don't flip me off again, or I'll come up there and kill all the ducks.

You're gonna hate me after this, and I want you to know its for your own good. That boat is a death trap...not picking on you, but it needs to be said.

Take some time to build a cage around the prop. If it hits a tree limb or other debris while running it will turn into a million toothpicks.

It also looks like the boat is way too heavy for that little engine & prop. It's going to be slow, and stay stuck. Maybe you should consider taking that stuff off the back and put an outboard on it.

Do take this personal, but y'all should sell it before its too late.
:-)
hunter

Postby Curtis 870 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 pm

We defiantly have a lot of learning to do. We plan on caging the prop all the way around as for the chines that's good info to have when we run it to that issue we will know want to do. Its a starter boat im sure after this season if we hate it it will be up for sale. Thanks for all the input. im learning a lot already.
Curtis 870
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Curtis 870 wrote:We defiantly have a lot of learning to do. We plan on caging the prop all the way around as for the chines that's good info to have when we run it to that issue we will know want to do. Its a starter boat im sure after this season if we hate it it will be up for sale. Thanks for all the input. im learning a lot already.

It's good to know y'all are going to finish that cage. Make sure you know what the max RPM's are for that prop...if you spin it too fast it will make a big mess!

Also, be careful in deep water...if it don't have enough power to get the boat on plane you could find yourself in trouble.

Have you ran it yet? I don't think it's going to run fast enough to worry about getting thrown out.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude. I run airboats, and enjoy driving up to the blind rather than having to walk several hundred yards thru mud. That can defiantly be good tools, but you have to respect them.
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Kevin N wrote:Chines make it so there is no square edge on the bottom.. I pitched my dog and Brother out of the boat and scared the heck out of us.

I remember that day all to well. I never knew how far a body could slide on the ground in shallow water til that day. As I recall I stood up with mud head to toe, called myself safe from the tremendous baseball slide and said something to the effect how we were done with that boat. Went home and purchased the right kind of airboat hull and haven't looked back!

Good luck on your boat! Be safe! And enjoy spending $$ because that's what you do with a boat that pushes the wind to move forward!!! Never again will I get in a Jon boat that is converted to be an airboat. A duck isn't worth it. Congrats on the boat and I wish you success.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:31 pm

The best airboat out there is your buddys airboat good luck with it
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 pm

mojo coot wrote:The best airboat out there is your buddys airboat good luck with it

I'll add to that:

The worst buddy out there is the one that thinks airboats run on "thanks!" instead of fuel!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 am

Factor 8 wrote:
mojo coot wrote:The best airboat out there is your buddys airboat good luck with it

I'll add to that:

The worst buddy out there is the one that thinks airboats run on "thanks!" instead of fuel!

X2
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 am

mojo coot wrote:The best airboat out there is your buddys airboat

Couldnt agree more with this!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Curtis 870 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 am

We haven't ran it in water yet we are going to take it out to Utah lake this weekend to test it out. The guy we bought it from sent me a video of it running in water I will try to post it here.

Thanks to all of you for the input.
Curtis 870
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Airboats are a pain in the a55!!!! X3 on the best one is a buddies. Cootlover had one and we didn't do any better on birds, cost per hunt went up too. Now we're back in mudboats with longshafts.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:Airboats are a pain in the a55!!!! X3 on the best one is a buddies. Cootlover had one and we didn't do any better on birds, cost per hunt went up too. Now we're back in mudboats with longshafts.

I went through the same pattern, brother:
-owned mud boat with longshaft motor (dreamed of how many more ducks I could kill with an airboat)
-sold mud boat, purchased airboat (was forced to become a backyard mechanic; frequently reflected on how much more simple and enjoyable days were when I owned a mud boat; learned quickly that I was not killing any more birds with an airboat)
-sold airboat, purchased mud boat (happy)
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby cootlover » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Good luck with your boat just to let you know you will be going straight then before you no it your doing a 180 hold on and hope you don't flip it .Make sure you cage the prop mine blew up and took off a good part of the back of the boat good luck :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:17 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:Airboats are a pain in the a55!!!! X3 on the best one is a buddies. Cootlover had one and we didn't do any better on birds, cost per hunt went up too. Now we're back in mudboats with longshafts.

My airboat is great...I just rebuilt the engine, replaced the prop, restored the hull, rebuilt the rigging, and I'm waiting on the new ploy to get installed.

Expensive? Yes sir
Can I kill more ducks? Nope...limit is still 6
Is it safe? Yes sir...all boats are dangerous if you don't respect them.
Are they fun to run? Heck yes
Are they loud? Mine isn't as bad as others, but it's not as quiet as my 4 stroke. Thanks to the new prop, whisper tip, you won't even know I'm coming until I'm a few miles away. Lol I've also seen some loud mud motors in my defense.

I wouldn't trade my airboat for 10 mud boats...it's one of those love it or hate it topics. The only advantage mud boats have over airboats are places you can use them to duck hunt. Here in Texas we can't hunt WMA's with airboats, but I can use it to scout, build blinds, and fish there.***They are starting to regulate mud boats now also...starting with HP restrictions, but it won't take long before they're all banned. We should all start working to get back in good graces with the man before all access is kayak only.

Honestly mud boats are great, but not for where I hunt...too much sand/hard bottom so the props don't last more than a few hunts. Plus, I have weight distribution issues...too dang fat to run em to there full potential.
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:51 pm

cootlover wrote:Good luck with your boat just to let you know you will be going straight then before you no it your doing a 180 hold on and hope you don't flip it .Make sure you cage the prop mine blew up and took off a good part of the back of the boat good luck :thumbsup:

I think we used up part of our 9 lives that day, just glad nobody got hurt.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm

I would not, repeat, WOULD NOT own an airboat without having a brother that has ownership in the boat and is a auto tech. Newly rebuild stroked out motor and you would think your good to go...Nope! Hell I think the boat is parked in the shed with a broken starter motor(3rd time it broke). As for a converted jon boat made into an airboat, Hell No!!! That's an accident waiting to happen. You load that up with buddies and gear that boat wont hold plane. Let alone the issues you will face on the skinny stuff! As for shooting more ducks...that's pure myth. I enjoy my airboat, but I chase ducks with more than just that boat. The way fall is shaping up with water the airboat probably won't be used until the end of October. By the way the spur is 98% dry! Never seen it so barren!!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Factor 8 wrote:

I would not, repeat, WOULD NOT own an airboat without having a brother that has ownership in the boat and is a auto tech. Newly rebuild stroked out motor and you would think your good to go...Nope! Hell I think the boat is parked in the shed with a broken starter motor(3rd time it broke). As for a converted jon boat made into an airboat, Hell No!!! That's an accident waiting to happen. You load that up with buddies and gear that boat wont hold plane. Let alone the issues you will face on the skinny stuff! As for shooting more ducks...that's pure myth. I enjoy my airboat, but I chase ducks with more than just that boat. The way fall is shaping up with water the airboat probably won't be used until the end of October. By the way the spur is 98% dry! Never seen it so barren!!

Here's a pic of the spur from a few weeks ago. Pretty depressing!
IMAG1135_zps8d733dae.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Kevin N » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:17 pm

She will take a bit of time to fill....... The only good thing is I guess... At least the lack of water slowed the phrag growth... Won't be able to run the spur till late oct at best for fan boats..
Kevin N
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting