Water levels

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Water levels

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:32 pm

I know that everyone can't get out and scout water levels, or would just like to get some good collaborative input on levels throughout the state. I will include what i've seen, and hope others will contribute.

Utah Lake: The lake is very shallow in the marshes. Areas historically accessed with mud motors are almost bone dry. Mud lake is shallow as can be. Irradiation ditches are moderately full. It looks bleak out there.

Sevier River: Low water, super low in fact. Fields and areas that generally would fill up seem to be high water marked. Not many waterfowl in the region in comparison to last year. Could potentially be good late season.

Waterfowlers will need to change up their tactics some this year. Lower water than I have seen in the last couple years. Scouting will be key, and changing up where you go. Interested in hearing what y'all have seen. :beer:
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Re: Water levels

Postby j_bird07 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the update! This is a good thread to get going now.

I just called the BRBR this morning to ask about what units have been filled so far, and the gentleman there said that Unit 3 is full, Unit 2 is filling, and he wasn't sure about Unit 1A. I am planning to take a youth out for the youth hunt, so I guess I may need to check things out for myself before the hunt. Let me know if anyone has observed anything different.
j_bird07
Newb

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

j_bird07 wrote:Thanks for the update! This is a good thread to get going now.

I just called the BRBR this morning to ask about what units have been filled so far, and the gentleman there said that Unit 3 is full, Unit 2 is filling, and he wasn't sure about Unit 1A. I am planning to take a youth out for the youth hunt, so I guess I may need to check things out for myself before the hunt. Let me know if anyone has observed anything different.

I'm going to head out to the BRBR later this week to have a look and I'll let you know if they have water in 1A.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 am

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote: Irradiation ditches are moderately full. It looks bleak out there.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I just talked to a fed fish cop there just starting to fill 1A very dry he said. I hope everybody has a safe and fun youth hunt me and my little girl cant wait :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:29 pm

cootlover wrote:I just talked to a fed fish cop there just starting to fill 1A very dry he said. I hope everybody has a safe and fun youth hunt me and my little girl cant wait :thumbsup:

May not have enough water in 1A to do much come Saturday eh? We are all pretty stoked up for Saturday too. Post up some pictures of your hunt.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Gonegoosin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Everyone needs to be aware, if you're not already, that the first water control structure that you drive across to launch boats for 1A is being replaced. As such, the canal along the loop that feeds this and Unit 9 is empty! The majority of if not all the water 1A is getting is from the Bear River Club overflow as they fill their western units. Unit 1A can still be accessed by foot, just not sure how much water if any at all will be found within it. As has been mentioned, Unit 2 has water across the large pond, Unit 3 is full of water, 2C is bone dry as is 9 and 5. The Refuge gets their water rights back in early October. They will start filling marsh's from West to East once they get the water based on a recent publication they released. Best of luck to everyone on the Youth Hunt.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 am

Gonegoosin wrote:Everyone needs to be aware, if you're not already, that the first water control structure that you drive across to launch boats for 1A is being replaced. As such, the canal along the loop that feeds this and Unit 9 is empty! The majority of if not all the water 1A is getting is from the Bear River Club overflow as they fill their western units. Unit 1A can still be accessed by foot, just not sure how much water if any at all will be found within it. As has been mentioned, Unit 2 has water across the large pond, Unit 3 is full of water, 2C is bone dry as is 9 and 5. The Refuge gets their water rights back in early October. They will start filling marsh's from West to East once they get the water based on a recent publication they released. Best of luck to everyone on the Youth Hunt.

What has been interesting about the BRBR this year is unit 5. It is not bone dry Jeff (I believe your referring to the perry B block instead of unit 5). It should be dry as the reeder was cut down in the spring. However unit 5 didn't go dry as expected, it has stayed up on water. Some how a hydrologic source has pushed ground water to the surface. So that unit is holding a good amount of birds. Please note unit 5 is a closed unit.

The spur is going to be hard hit this year. I would imagine that a jon boat wont be able to get out there til mid to latter Nov. There is a very small amount of water along the Willard dike and the very center which appears to be over flow from unit 4. I'm guessing at that though.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Gonegoosin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

Factor 8 wrote:
Gonegoosin wrote:Everyone needs to be aware, if you're not already, that the first water control structure that you drive across to launch boats for 1A is being replaced. As such, the canal along the loop that feeds this and Unit 9 is empty! The majority of if not all the water 1A is getting is from the Bear River Club overflow as they fill their western units. Unit 1A can still be accessed by foot, just not sure how much water if any at all will be found within it. As has been mentioned, Unit 2 has water across the large pond, Unit 3 is full of water, 2C is bone dry as is 9 and 5. The Refuge gets their water rights back in early October. They will start filling marsh's from West to East once they get the water based on a recent publication they released. Best of luck to everyone on the Youth Hunt.

What has been interesting about the BRBR this year is unit 5. It is not bone dry Jeff (I believe your referring to the perry B block instead of unit 5). It should be dry as the reeder was cut down in the spring. However unit 5 didn't go dry as expected, it has stayed up on water. Some how a hydrologic source has pushed ground water to the surface. So that unit is holding a good amount of birds. Please note unit 5 is a closed unit.

The spur is going to be hard hit this year. I would imagine that a jon boat wont be able to get out there til mid to latter Nov. There is a very small amount of water along the Willard dike and the very center which appears to be over flow from unit 4. I'm guessing at that though.

Thanks for the clarification Darin. You are absolutely correct about Unit 5 and the B block. I apologize for listing this wrong. I made an attempt last night to post a PDF from the Refuge that includes a color map showing the conditions of each unit but this type of file is not supported by forums. I emailed it to the DWR asking that they post it through any media resources they have so everyone is in the know before driving all the way up and finding way too many people in too tight of quarters.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the great info guys! :beer:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 am

Gonegoosin wrote: I emailed it to the DWR asking that they post it through any media resources they have so everyone is in the know before driving all the way up and finding way too many people in too tight of quarters.

Iast year I was amazed how many folks showed up to hunt in the perry unit on the opener. The only water was in the chanel. I think there was 3 or so boats and a total of 10 cars if I remember right. Talk about guys sitting on top each other. I'm sure the same will happen this year. I'll be in that area for geese so we will see how many folks show up to hunt a dry unit. A little scouting goes a long, long ways!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:20 am

Factor 8 wrote:A little scouting goes a long, long ways!

Couldn't agree more. Most people don't scout at all. I live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of my duck-hunting-related time is spent scouting ..... the other 20% is actual hunting.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Gonegoosin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 am

I have pasted a link below for those of you with Facebook accounts. The Division posted the Refuge's current water status that was emailed out in the last week. There is a color map as well as a one page description of what you can expect this weekend.
https://www.facebook.com/UtahWMAs?hc_location=stream

In case you are not aware, the DWR now has a Facebook page promoting Utah WMA's. It is called Utah Division of Wildlife Waterfowl Management Areas. Make sure to "Like" this page to get the latest news on the Utah WMA's. The Refuge also has a page where they post updates. Both are worth your time to keep in touch with.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby j_bird07 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Is the BRBR typically over-crowded for the walk-in guys on the youth hunt? Just curious, as I will be taking a youth out for the first time on Sat.
j_bird07
Newb

Postby Gonegoosin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 pm

j_bird07 wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. Is the BRBR typically over-crowded for the walk-in guys on the youth hunt? Just curious, as I will be taking a youth out for the first time on Sat.

Typically no, this year may be a different story if the inside of 1A has no water.
Gonegoosin
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting