Retrieving birds with no dog or boat

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Retrieving birds with no dog or boat

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Interested in learning what y'all do if you're hunting in water too deep to wade, no dog, no boat. We carry a fishing rod with a big bobber on the end. A couple of feet in front of the bobber, I tie on a half dozen treble hooks hanging from 4 our five inch droppers. Cast it out, maneuver it a little and try to drag the hooks over the bird and snag it.

What methods have you guys used?
apflyingleap
hunter

Re: Retrieving birds with no dog or boat

Postby mojo coot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:06 pm

A dog put in the time train a dog or dont hunt in deep water
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am

I bring scuba gear... wow
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:36 am

Fishing rod with a big Zara Spook tied on. You can cast it a mile and it has nice big treble hooks on it. Dog will be ready to go this year though, so I won't be bringing it anymore ;-)
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Your not retrieving all of your birds you knock down. That Zara spook doesn't have near the range of a good lab.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Nope nothing has the range of a good dog. If there is a question about being able to retrieve it, I don't shoot. All hunting stops when we have a downed bird. We don't start up again until we find it. If that means we spend the rest of the day finding the bird, that's what it means. I only remember one time when we left a bird. Snowstorm and darkness ended the search. Though I did go back the next day--still couldn't find it. A good dog would've made all the difference that time. I'm impressed by how the comments indicate how committed everyone is to not wasting game. Wish the media and the antis would pay more attention to that message rather than waste time on naked PETA models.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I realize I don't have the range, but the ponds we hunt we didn't need the range. I could cast to every inch of it. Like o said though, dog is gonna be replacing it this year.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 pm

If I don't think I can retrieve ducks I don't shoot. It's the same reason that when we set up we position ourselves so that the shots taken will result in the birds falling in open water or open land. I also use a dog. When I was boatless and dogless I hunted small ponds that I could access all areas. I hate a wasted bird.

Nothing beats sending a dog on a retrieve that is 50+ yards knowing that he is coming back with it. Tough to cast a line acuratly at that range.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:32 pm

All good advice. And I don't hunt big deep water specifically because of that very example--a bird downed a 50 yards. Or, a cripple that sets it's wings and goes out there a quarter mile. I'm not a great long range shot so I try not to shoot over about 30 yards. My situations are more like jump shooting the canals or rivers and bird drops in the center where it's a ten yard cast. Or like the beaver ponds we were on yesterday. Just wondering if people had any other methods. But, all the comments have made me think a lot more about putting in the time to get a dog ready. There really is no excuse for not doing everything possible to get your birds--including the time and energy to train a dog. So now my wife can blame you guys!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby one8sevenn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 am

Back when I was an adventurous soul. I used a spoon to retrieve ducks shot. The last time I applied this method was the time I went swimming to retrieve a bird that was out of casting range. So consequently I stopped hunting un-wadeable water. :biggrin:
Just scaring ducks with high velocity steel BB's
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 am

That could be a tough retrieve in January brrrrrrrrrr!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby BBQ Fingers » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Great thread! I luckily haven't had the issue of not being able to retrieve a bird (probably just havn't hunted enough), but I'm going try some of these ideas. I've come back from retrieving some ducks feeling like I just climbed a mountain. I have thought about modding a small sit-on top Kayak to decoy sled, in order to get those gliders easier.
BBQ Fingers
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Back when I was dog-less I also used a fishing pole on small ponds that were too deep to wade. I avoided lake hunting for the most part. I did purchase a cheap float-tube to use on a couple of ponds that were too large for the fishing pole, but never had a need to try it out (I'm sure it would have worked just fine). Now that I have a good dog the float tube stays home.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby ziggy15 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

apflyingleap wrote:That could be a tough retrieve in January brrrrrrrrrr!

Speaking of January and retrieving birds. I once had to retrieve my dog, who fell through the ice retrieving a bird. luckily it was only up to my thighs and I always wear chest waders. breaking Ice for 50 yards was no fun. :no: So a few treble hooks would have been nice.
ziggy15
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Get yourself a drab colored kayak!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 pm

By the time I get my float tube, decoys, and fishing pole loaded on my sled or cart...I'm going to look more like a gypsy than a duck hunter!
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 pm

apflyingleap wrote:By the time I get my float tube, decoys, and fishing pole loaded on my sled or cart...I'm going to look more like a gypsy than a duck hunter!

LOL usually I have two sleds overloaded, following behind me on the kayak , and that's on the second trip out to the blind :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby apflyingleap » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Oh yeah...I forgot...all the materials to build the blind.
...I'm gonna need a bigger sled.
apflyingleap
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

apflyingleap wrote:Oh yeah...I forgot...all the materials to build the blind.
...I'm gonna need a bigger sled.

Just hitch several together, It will save you some time
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting