Izembek (pic heavy)

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Kevin N » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Started the season off with a trip to Izembek refuge.. Thought I would throw up some pics for you to see what a waterfowlers dream it is!!!!
Image


In our quest to get the waterfowl slam we headed to the north once again. Had a blast and spent a week perusing some new birds... Brant are one of the funnest birds to hunt. one of the tastiest too. going to Cold bay you soon realize that you are not atop the food chain.

Image

we had a few encounters with bears. kind of an eerie feeling going goose hunting with a eye watching out for something that will eat you. Darin had one walk in on him with in 50 yards while we were fishing... needless to say I think he walked on water running away.. nothing like walking down the shore and run into bear tracks or sitting on Izembek lagoon looking down the shore seeing a few bears wondering your way..

our first afternoon of hunting...
Image

Darins first Brant
Image

The wind never stopped blowing.. had a steady wind of 25 mph to 40 mph every day, and from different directions.
Image

lets just say they Band a lot of Brant..
Image

another one
Image

one more with the Izembek slam.. (Brant, ptarmigan, cackling cackler) (my freind Jememy's band)
Image

the fish taste good to..
Image

shot alot of Tavern's and a few cackling cacklers.. They are the coolest small geese!! My friend from AK thinks our big geese are awesome but gunning these small birds is a riot!!
Image

Taverns and a cackling cackler/small cackler has a bill that is no longer than 1 inch. neat bird!! and a darker chest.
Image

we had to watch out of what we gunned as there was closed birds.. Emperor Geese!! also had stellers Eiders land in the deeks.
Image

It was a great time and highly recommend going up there if you get the chance. very unique area and interesting to hunt The tundra, and tidal lagoons. There is alot of fresh water ponds and lakes, but ALL the birds hang out on the salt. and the eel grass growth in the lagoon is amazing.

We took hardly any food and just had a few side meals.. we shot straight and ate well..
Image

a few more pics. (hard to get good light for the lenses I have)
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Kevin N
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm


Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Spiraleyes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Great pictures, that looks like an incredible trip! Thanks for sharing.
Jim R
User avatar
Spiraleyes
State Moderator
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 am
Location: South Jordan, UT

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 am

Wow! That is freaking sweet boys!

Envy is the best word to describe what I am thinking right now. Way cool and thanks for sharing Kevin.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3099
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby C Style » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 am

That is incredible!!!! What other wildlife did you see? thanks for sharing. Those pics of the bears were cool!!!
C Style
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 am

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Great pics :thumbsup:
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 12001
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 pm

WOW!!! Looks like a great trip. Post some details if you can. Where do you fly in, accommodations, etc? Thanks for posting the pics.
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm

apflyingleap wrote:WOW!!! Looks like a great trip. Post some details if you can. Where do you fly in, accommodations, etc? Thanks for posting the pics.


There are a couple of different ways you can pull off this type of hunt. You can do it with a guide for some good coin. I think the guide price is around $3400 for the week. You usually hunt from boat access and have all the amenities of being well taken care of. You don't clean your birds they clean them for you. They assist in gifting them to the native corp if you wish. You don't have to cook your own food. The way we did this hunt was pulled off with my buddy from Anchorage. He arranged the lodging and truck rental. Then we showed up and he showed us around. Izembek NWR surrounds the town of Cold Bay. We flew from anchorage to Cold Bay on a penn air flight. Once there we lodged at Bear Foot Inn. It's a little hotel/bunkhouse/convienence store/bar. We cooked all our own meals and cleaned all our own birds. We ate most the brant and ptarmigan we shot. We shipped a bunch of cleaned birds home. Trip cost less than $700 including airfare from SLC, Lodging, truck rental, food, and fuel. Once again we couldn't have pulled this off without my buddy who hunts cold bay regularly. Going up there blind would have been really tough!!
Factor 8
hunter
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 pm

What a fantastic adventure. Thanks for posting the details. Inspires me to think about all the DIY duck hunts that are out there. With a little work, they can be accomplished. Just requires some thought, elbow grease, and a contact or two. Thanks again. What's next on your adventure list?
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Kevin N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

apflyingleap wrote: Thanks again. What's next on your adventure list?



Common Eider's and Scoter slam.. I have one butter bill, but I need the other two. Darin needs all three. going to take a bit to save for that one and pull it off. Had a guy arranged from last year to come out and hunt pintails in return we would head for Main.. but that one fell through. you would be surprised at what people are will in to do to help each other get these birds. A little nerving to be put under pressure at times but it seams to work out and great friendships build.
Kevin N
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 pm

My 11 yr-old son wants a spectacled eider and a harlequin. I'm going to have to do some fancy foot work to make those happen. Had a fun hunt out on the DelMarVa peninsula a few years ago. Scoters, old squaw, brandt, canadians. Incredible.
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Factor 8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:32 pm

apflyingleap wrote:My 11 yr-old son wants a spectacled eider and a harlequin. I'm going to have to do some fancy foot work to make those happen. Had a fun hunt out on the DelMarVa peninsula a few years ago. Scoters, old squaw, brandt, canadians. Incredible.


Lots of fun to gun a different array of birds. I'm in the same boat with my 10 yr old. His wish list is rather large. It doesnt help that I have a case full of ducks for him to drool over. FYI, spectacle eiders are closed. They have been for a long time. You'll have to break that bad news to your boy. Lol!!
Factor 8
hunter
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Well, since he's only killed coots so far, he's got plenty of birds to keep him busy right here at home (he's burdened with a dad that isn't the greatest guide in the world...)
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Holy Cow! I just looked at the map. You could've just taken an afternoon and gone over to Kamchatka! That is waaaay out there!
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Kevin N » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 pm

It's out there for sure... But not even half way to Adak.. That place is on the bucket list for pacific eiders!!
Kevin N
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby apflyingleap » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Kevin N wrote:
apflyingleap wrote: Thanks again. What's next on your adventure list?



Common Eider's and Scoter slam.. I have one butter bill, but I need the other two. Darin needs all three. going to take a bit to save for that one and pull it off. Had a guy arranged from last year to come out and hunt pintails in return we would head for Main.. but that one fell through. you would be surprised at what people are will in to do to help each other get these birds. A little nerving to be put under pressure at times but it seams to work out and great friendships build.


To inspire you on your scoter quest...a hunt on the DelMarVa peninsula a few years ago.
Attachments
100_0436b.jpg
100_0432b.jpg
100_0431b.jpg
100_0429b.jpg
apflyingleap
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am
Location: Centerville

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Kevin N » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 pm

That is awesome!! I want a skunk head bad!! Have you got the scooter slam?
Kevin N
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Izembek (pic heavy)

Postby Factor 8 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 pm

apflyingleap wrote:
Kevin N wrote:
apflyingleap wrote: Thanks again. What's next on your adventure list?



Common Eider's and Scoter slam.. I have one butter bill, but I need the other two. Darin needs all three. going to take a bit to save for that one and pull it off. Had a guy arranged from last year to come out and hunt pintails in return we would head for Main.. but that one fell through. you would be surprised at what people are will in to do to help each other get these birds. A little nerving to be put under pressure at times but it seams to work out and great friendships build.


To inspire you on your scoter quest...a hunt on the DelMarVa peninsula a few years ago.


What a beautiful bird!! It would look even better in my glass case!! :thumbsup:
Factor 8
hunter
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am


Return to Utah Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest