Did everyone shoot early, or was it just Ogden bay?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Postby korben88 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Out at Ogden bay there was some confusion as to the start time. 0700 a single shot rang out, then 2 more. 4 or 5 and then WW III. My party and I, along with several other I saw, were expecting a 0730 start time. We were still discusing shooting lanes and had our guns cased up.

Talked to DWR at the check point. She said they were discussing changing the proclamation back to the old way next year.
korben88
hunter

Re: Did everyone shoot early, or was it just Ogden bay?

Postby Hawk87 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:14 pm

It was everywhere. Sucks for people that can read and try to obey the law.
Public spots can be:
-Good
-Easy to get too/ find
-Not crowded

Pick Two
Hawk87
hunter

Postby cckiltflies » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

It was a ridiculous change, here is the time of sunrise and now you have to subtract a half hour! Why couldn't the DWR just put the shooting light time?
cckiltflies
Newb

Postby fowlman08 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm

I guess people don't know what a *(Asterix) is?!?!
If people would actually read the guidebook they may have seen that it said today is the only day you don't subtract 30 minutes from sunrise time!!!
fowlman08
Newb

Postby MAX4Utah » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm

There were shots at 0650 where I was! It was ridiculous! Super fun shoot though!
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I think they should start it at noon. it was horrible. I am not sure how people don't know when shooting hours begins. They should have a literacy test to get a licence.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:52 pm

I think they should start in the middle of the week so only true duck hunters go its a fu**ing joke R state would screw up a wet dream :mad:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 pm

This years proclomation has to be the stupidist thing I've read!!!!! Why not print the actual start time??? What was the reason for the change this year??? :no: :no: :no:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Who knows why they changed it. But it was still printed in english. What is really so wrong with people reading the proclimation?
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby huntermem_1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 am

6:50 was when it started where I was I checked the time when the war zone started and I was shocked to see that it was 40 minutes early.

2013-2014 season

Canadian geese 4
Sandhillcranes 2
huntermem_1
hunter

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 am

It is a hunters responsibility to know the rules. NO EXCUSES!!!! They put a guide book out free of charge for a reason. It shows that people don't have any ethics. If you had kids with you and are teaching them to piss poor ethics shame on you! The first blast rang out at 6:50 and just started from there. This is not the fault of the DWR this is the fault of your fellow hunters.
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Postby jh8360 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:22 am

Shooting started around 7ish I got out my phone video record the 2 guys next to us shooting and killing ducks then called the poaching hotline DNR was there shortly after gave both guys tickets for unlawfully killing wildlife and shooting before hours. I signed the tickets and will gladly go to court. Wish you would of done the same to the people next to you instead of complaining on a forum.
jh8360
hunter

Postby Hawk87 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 am

jh8360 wrote:Shooting started around 7ish I got out my phone video record the 2 guys next to us shooting and killing ducks then called the poaching hotline DNR was there shortly after gave both guys tickets for unlawfully killing wildlife and shooting before hours. I signed the tickets and will gladly go to court. Wish you would of done the same to the people next to you instead of complaining on a forum.

I wish I would have thought about it. Next time for sure.
Public spots can be:
-Good
-Easy to get too/ find
-Not crowded

Pick Two
Hawk87
hunter

Postby huntermem_1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Good job man that's awesome!! And great point about the free proclamations the hunters should all know and I wish they would be mores responsible about the law

2013-2014 season

Canada geese 4
Sandhillcranes 2
GWT 5
Mallards 3
Cinnamon teal 2
Last edited by huntermem_1 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntermem_1
hunter

Postby whiskeyuinta » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Jh8360 has brought up a great idea. I have seen this going on for years at Ogden Bay, Howard Slough and Bear River. Normally don't carry my phone with me but I will now begin recording and contact DNR. Wish I'd had my phone yesterday at Howard when a group popped off at a flock of red-winged blackbirds and were still firing at some teals past 7:10pm. Last time I checked, shooting time stopped at 7:02pm on opening day. And they left their shells behind. Give me a break. No one likes a rat, but I am getting sick of ignorant people who have such blatant disregard. The proclamation is around for a reason. Follow it.
whiskeyuinta
Newb

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Holeinmywaders wrote:Who knows why they changed it. But it was still printed in english. What is really so wrong with people reading the proclimation?

What's wrong with printing the actual start and stop times like it has been forever? Having to subtract 30 minutes from the printed time does nothing but invite the possibilities of human error. I do agree that people need to read the proclamation, preferably more than once.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby All Ducked Up » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Longest 30 min of my life say and waited for legal time, definitely felt the love from others all the birds were all but up and gone by the legal time, I recorded this catastrophe with my phone, funny thing is I posted a reminder before the hunt and deleted it thinking nobody is that stupid, on another note if your complaint is the guide book, read it closer it was clear. I know it was a little uncool but I may have purposely flared about a dozen birds from the guys across from me seeing how they had 5 before I could even shoot.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hunting isn't just something I do, It's a part of who I am.
All Ducked Up
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

You know its illegal to record people on your phone too be careful not to piss off someone and get shot over a duck :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Hawk87 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:17 pm

cootlover wrote:You know its illegal to record people on your phone too be careful not to piss off someone and get shot over a duck :thumbsup:

I dont think it's illegal, would you mind citing the legal code where it says that?
Public spots can be:
-Good
-Easy to get too/ find
-Not crowded

Pick Two
Hawk87
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Not sure what code it is just know last month on the news a guy was taping his neighbor making dry ice bombs and called the cops and they told him he couldn't record them with out there permission.
cootlover
hunter

Postby jh8360 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:59 am

I'll do it every time I see someone poaching. The DNR thought it was genius idea. Beside cops video record every stop! Why because video don't lie.
jh8360
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 am

Most of the fish cops I have talked to are clueless. I was at Howard slough on the opener about ten years ago and a under cover fish cop was siting right next to me and the dike started shooting 15 min early and he didn't do any thing until I stood up and bitched at him about it then he started giving tickets great fish and game we have don't you think :huh: and second most of the fish cops don't no crap about the laws any way they sit in the office all day.
cootlover
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting