BWT or Cinnamon Teal?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

BWT or Cinnamon Teal?

Postby huntermem_1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:31 am

So yesterday pretty muck all the birds we killed and that were killed around us were teal mostly GWT and some blue wings so I think that they are blue wings but a DWR guy said "there are no blue wing teal in Utah that they are cinnamon teal" but I am pretty positive that they are blue wings because I saw all the right signs of it but what do you guys think? BWT or cinnamon teal in Utah mostly right now?

Sorry I don't have a picture of one to show
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381066270.913368.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381066270.913368.jpg

2013-2014 season

Canadian geese 4
Sandhillcranes 2
GWT 5
Mallards 3
BWT 2
huntermem_1
hunter

Re: BWT or Cinnamon Teal?

Postby Simple » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:16 am

I went to a duck id class with my son at the brbr refuge and they explained a couple differences between the two. They said that cinnamon teal are actually a little bit bigger bodied then blue wing and there Bill length is actually longer. I bet you can get an average bill length for both online. As for not being in Utah, I don't know what he is talking about, ive shot both blue and cinnamon teal in Utah.
Simple
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:50 am

I agree with simple as far as body size and bill measurement. I agree with the CO about BW teal not being a common bird we see here in Utah. I've never shot one myself but would love to gun one here in the state. If I was a betting man I would say you have a cinny rather than a BW. I know only a few folks who have happened to luck into a BW. But perhaps that is what you shot. If so congrats on being lucky!!

I think you have a better chance at shooting a Barrows Goldeneye than a BW. But that's just me thinking out loud.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 am

I've seen a few drake BWT shot in the first days of the season, and we had a pair of drakes come through the decoys on Sat morning that were definitely bluewings. I hunt a few spots that they seem to like to hang around in. It seems like they are mostly gone by the time the season starts and all gone by the second week of October or so. The BWT and Cinnamon hens are next to impossible to tell apart unless you have one of each in hand but I'd be willing to bet that if you shoot a hen it's a 95% chance that its a cinnie.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby otisscout » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am

We killed 6 BWT sat, and we were checked Fish Cops and they counted them as BW, so I guess we killed the only 6 BW in the State on sat.
otisscout
hunter

Postby rolltide89 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

yea i thought i had shot a bw but when dwr was looking he said it was a cinnamon...i was up at topaz where were you?
rolltide89
Newb

Postby cootlover » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Just because the fish cop said they were BWT I would not take there word for unless they were drakes its not that easy to tell the hens apart .
cootlover
hunter

Postby northpointhunting » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:54 pm

In utah 9/10 times it's a Cinnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
"I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and hunt ducks. Let the´╗┐ chips fall where they may."
"Some call it sky busting, I call it optimism."
northpointhunting
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm

All the teal I checked in on the opener that sportsman thought were Bluewings were infact Cinnamons.
There a tiny bit bigger and the bill is longer. Hens are tough to tell. I have never checked in a Bluewing.
But i have seen a few a couple of weeks before the opener. Even when there not fully colored you can see a drakes
face crescent. Once they color out both species are easy to tell.
Thats cool if you got some. Any color to it?

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I have only seen a handful of acual blue wings in utah in my life. I have never seen one durring hunting season.
Cinnamon teal might be the most misidentified duck. I here it all the time. COs Misidentify sometimes. One still owes me dinner.
Bret
hunter

Postby huntermem_1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah I bet they were cinnamon then but that's great to know. I did see a drake when I was scouting the week before the hunt I could see the face markings and there were only about 40 yards from me feeding but thanks guys that's great stuff to know

2013-2014 season

Canadian geese 4
Sandhillcranes 2
GWT 5
Mallards 3
Cinnamon teal 2
huntermem_1
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:42 am

northpointhunting wrote:In utah 9/10 times it's a Cinnie

Truth.

I've killed a lot teal in Utah throughout my life and I've only ever killed one BWT.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Return to Utah Duck Hunting