The DUCK STAMP

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

The DUCK STAMP

Postby Simple » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Fellow hunters I have a question for you. What is the point of a duck stamp? I never really thought about it until my dad brought up a good point. Is it not a federal stamp? Do you buy it to hunt on the federal refuges? If so then can the division even give you tickets at this point if someone doesn't have a stamp and hunting on state refuges? Or if you do have a stamp how can the government stop us from hunting on federal property?

For the record I do have my stamp and obey the laws, it has just raised some questions while we were out hunting opening day.
Anyone have any legit answers for me?
Simple
hunter

Re: The DUCK STAMP

Postby elwoodUT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:41 am

I believe it was DU that actually started the duck stamp back in the 30s or so. The money is suppose to go to conservation.
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 am

The reason for the duck stamp is the federal government controls all waterfowl not by the state like deer, and upland birds some 98% of the duck stamp moneys goes to the migratory bird fund .Congress singed into law the duck stamp in 1934 .If you look on the back of the paper it comes on it talks about what you can use the stamp for like getting to national refuges and other stuff .Back many moons ago Utah had a state duck stamp and trout stamp back when duck hunting started at high noon and yes dip sh*ts would start shooting early to
cootlover
hunter

Postby Simple » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks guys that's interesting.
Simple
hunter

Postby bigmel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:30 pm

If I have the money I by two just because they put the money to good use. One to hunt with one to collect.
bigmel
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 pm

In talking with the director at the BRBR the duck stamp money has really benefited the region (region 6 i think) the BRBR is in. I guess it helped pay for the bear river water shed project that they recently finished up. The dept of the interior has made an emphasis of spending more duck stamp $$ in region 6 so said the BRBR director. Not sure if duck stamp $ was used to purchase the recently acquired land.
Factor 8
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting