Canvasback yummy

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Canvasback yummy

Postby cootlover » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 pm

I haven't shot but only few of them and I had them mounted . I got a couple this weekend and cooked them up rare holy crap it was as tender as any tenderloin fillet and the taste was awesome my wife cooked chicken and my son liked the can better can't wait to shoot some more :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Re: Canvasback yummy

Postby Bret » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm no lover of diver hunting but canvas back is delicious.
Bret
hunter

Postby Greenhead-2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 pm

My buddy married a girl from Germany and I give them a lot of my birds....one of her favorites are canvas backs. A guy that came to my place last year shot one and ate it that night.....the next day he kept hoping for another flying tenderloin.
Greenhead-2
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:09 am

I'm starting to think that it's not so much the species as what they've been eating and where they've been. I've had canvasback, bluebills, and redheads that were great and mallards and pintails that tasted like mud. The only exception is goldeneyes, they always taste pretty strong and I will go out of my way to not shoot them unless they are the only thing flying, and then they get brined for at least 3 or 4 days before I even think of eating them. A key that I've found with divers is to make sure that you get all the fat off the meat, it's not the meat that tastes strong so much as the fat and skin.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:33 pm

I read a book about the market duck hunter's the average duck like mallard, pintail, gadwall went for less than a dollar and a canvasback went for 7-8 dollars back in the early nineteen hundreds that was a lot of money back then. So I think it was more than what they eat. You could pull my duck apart like it was bread. :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Chet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:18 am

I agree. I take several cans each year and they are consistently the best eating ducks on average. I have heard a few guys on the coast say they can get a little fishy if they are forced to eat clams, mussels, etc where their natural vegetative foods have been eradicated.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby Bighunter76 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm

I have killed many Cbacks and I must say that they are great eating ducks. I use them in orange duck and even my wife will eat them. :thumbsup:
Bighunter76

Pro staffer for Scorpion optics
Bighunter76
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting