questions on alot of acres of wetland habitat ruined!!

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

questions on alot of acres of wetland habitat ruined!!

Postby utarchery » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

does anyone know how its possible or legal for whomever has killed off all the (Reeds) and habitat on utah lake near saratoga springs? i hear that they are trying to create a "BEACH" area? any info helps
utarchery
hunter

Re: questions on alot of acres of wetland habitat ruined!!

Postby Kevin N » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I think you might be alittle confused... The reed that is under attack is called phagmities. It's a very invasive reed that has no wetland value what so ever. Utah county has got on the ball and put phrag on the obnoxious weed list so now it's funded by the county and not just by the DNR. They are having great success.... I hope that this is a model for other counties to follow. The tall reed makes for good cover to hid in but is truly a wetland disaster.
Kevin N
hunter

Re: questions on alot of acres of wetland habitat ruined!!

Postby Gritter76904 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Here ya go, straight form the DWR website....

"The DWR continues to work with the county and Utah Lake Commission to remove phragmites and provide additional hunting opportunities around Utah Lake. Starting in 2011, 150 acres were treated along the shore line in Vineyard with a 99 percent success rate. Since that time over 1,800 acres were treated in Saratoga Springs, Provo Bay, and the North Shore areas. Currently, we are working on 850 acres at the south end of the lake around Lincoln Beach."
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting