New to Utah

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

New to Utah

Postby scduckhunter48 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Just moved from SC to Utah. Trying to get involved in some duck hunting here not sure where to start. Always hunted in swamps back home and I dont see a lot of those around here. Any advice on the best places to get started would be great. I dont have a boat, i enjoy the wading and hunting in the water. Also if there are any hunting groups or clubs around that may meet and hunt that would be awesome too. Thanks in advance.
scduckhunter48
Newb

Re: New to Utah

Postby cootlover » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 pm

First off welcome to Utah what part of ut do you live in :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Saw_bill_slayer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 pm

What part of the state are you in? Once we know that we can help out a little more.
I believe in the three F's... Feather, Fur, and Fin.
Saw_bill_slayer
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

Welcome to UTAH!!!
Simple
hunter

Postby scduckhunter48 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 am

Sorry I meant to put that. I live in cottonwood heights but I'm willing to travel to wherever the good hunting is!
scduckhunter48
Newb

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 pm

There is no good waterfowl hunting in Utah GO HOME :mad: :tongue:

:welcome: and good luck up there :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Gritter76904 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey man, I'm from SC too (Spartanburg are). I'm used to jumping wood ducks on woodland ponds, and floating around in a Jon boat. Out here is way different. I live in Eagle Mountain and have been trying to find an access point on the west side of Utah Lake since the end of elk season....no luck. I've never been to Farmington or Ogden Bay, but I am familiar with the Strawberry Resevoir area. It starts to freeze up there earlier than it does down here, but access is great, and I'll bet you could hunt it into December before it's iced over. Someone tell me if I'm wrong...I guess if I am, take an ice fishing rig with you so it ain't a wasted trip.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Postby Brimstone » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 pm

I moved to Lehi from SC (Walhalla) many years ago, but I am just getting into ducks this year so I am not much help. Welcome to Utah!
Brimstone
hunter

Postby Gritter76904 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Years ago I remember wrestling down there in high school....had an FFA instructor from Walhalla too; at least you're close to Clemson
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03 pm

I spent my summer in Charleston... Summerville specifically, and am glad to be back. Not that I didn't like it there, but I can actually hunt where, when, and how I want in Utah. I am originally from Idaho. Hunting leased property, weird shortened season dates, and in an area with little public shooting area where you can just go and hunt is weird to me. And I can actually see here, unlike the claustrophobic hardwoods and lack of elevation change most of SC consists of. You should feel "free at last" here in Utah. Go where you want, when you want, hunt where you want, and kill your ducks. No draws, alligators, or not nearly as many mosquitos. Take advantage.

On another note.... My wife and I are moving to Tennessee this coming February - we are not looking forward do all of the above mentioned southern hunting styles... draws, blinds, shortened season, and lack of public property. Still depressed about it. :mad:
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby Pingi3 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Any luck? I moved to Heber from Jacksonville, fl and I'm trying to figure out the duck hunting out also

Hit me up if you've founds what's going on in wasatch

Tim
Pingi3
Newb

Return to Utah Duck Hunting