Farmington for Newbies

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Farmington for Newbies

Postby Gritter76904 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone can clarify a few things for me regarding the Farmington Bay Area. When I went on the DWR page and downloaded the PDF Guide, I noticed Farmington is split into several units that span the entire 18,000 acres. It looks like some of them are reserved for waterfowl resting areas, some for disabled hunters, some aren't close to any parking, and most border a dyke ( based on what I'm seeing on the satellite map). Since one isn't supposed to shoot within 600 feet of a dyke that can be traveled by vehicle, yet the dykes run throughout the entire unit, I'm a little confused. Is this the kind of place that is far more accessible to guys with airboats and stuff? Should I just shut up and take a drive up and see? Why is the WMA split into units to begin with? I'm sorta new to Utah since I got stationed here last year (I hail from South Carolina where it's all private land), and I live down in Eagle Mountain, so I'm trying to get as much info about hunting the area as possible before I pack up my arsenal and head north. Thanks,
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Re: Farmington for Newbies

Postby addictivehunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Farmington Bay gets used by almost every type of duck hunter. People can use air boats on some areas, you can use your Jon boat in other areas, you can bike it or walk it. I do a mixture of boating and walking. Sometimes when I walk out I can get away from more people and be more successful. There is a rest pond that is clearly marked. A lot of the dykes aren't open to motorized vehicles and again are clearly marked. If I were you I'd take a drive and do some scouting and talk with the dwr officer onsite to get a map and more details about the area. Hope this helps.
addictivehunter
hunter

Postby Gritter76904 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Absolutely. Had no idea there was a DWR guy on site. You know if that's 7 days a week? Great resource if it is, I appreciate it...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Postby addictivehunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

I've been up there this year on Fridays and Saturdays and every time I've been there there has been a dwr officer there.
addictivehunter
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:55 pm

As you can see on your map there is 3 entrances to FB. The north one off Glover lane is the main one.
Thats where the offices and shop are located. That road will take you out to a 4 way intersection. West is Turpin unit,
south is unit 2, east is the center dike between units 1 and 2. The big pond on the east side as you drove in is unit1. That unit is split with signs the north half being the rest area. You cannot shoot off the dike you drive in on, you must be 600 feet off that dike. All the others are open for walking, bicycles and shooting off of.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting