Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Utah Duck Hunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

First off, I’d just like to start out by saying that I have made a positive identification on the people that broke the law and treated other hunters on the marsh that day like crap. The boats that were used this day were very unique. I remember seeing them on KSL.com in an ad. When I walked over to the boats on the refuge, they said Widow Maker on them. I wrote down the registration number on them and lo and behold, it matched the boat on the homepage of their website.
So my story, my two brothers and I got to the BRBR at a very early time and got set up before there were too many on the ponds we hunt. About 30 minutes after shooting starts, we had 5 widow maker boats tear through the reeds and sat up on the entire pond. About 50 yards in front we had 5 guys set up with around 200 decoys. Then the other 2 in their party sat up in 2 layout boats with about 200 decoys.

The problems began when they decided to park their 4 boats no more than 30 yards from our setup. I politely asked them if they were going to leave their boats there or if they were just parked for now and were going to leave. He replied, “What the fu** do you think! Did you want me to park them in the middle of the fu**ing lake!” I told him that there was no need to swear. I explained that he was close to our setup and may get peppered if we were to shoot that way. He said, “Well, we’re going to sit here all day so get used to it buddy.”

Throughout the day, they drove back and forth showing to everyone that they practically owned the pond. After every duck killed, they would shout profanities such as female parts of the body, racial slurs including the N word and Mexican, and just about every swear word imaginable. As the day went on, a TON of ducks started landing in the corner of the pone where nobody was hunting. Sure enough, the guy that cussed me out earlier drove his boat over there to scare the ducks over to his client. I was told this is called “Rounding” in the guide book. As soon as the ducks left, he parked his boat in the middle of the lake where they had been landing all day. His other buddy was making laps around the pond for some reason. Keep in mind these boats are big and very very loud. They have the best of the best surface drives on them.

At the end of the day, the man that had cussed me out met up with the group and they started yelling at 2 kids down the dike that would cheer every time they had shot a duck. Very young kids, probably one of their first times out by the way they were cheering. The guys on the boat were calling them names and yelling. Then their attention turned to me. The man was explaining to them how I had threatened to shoot their boats if they didn’t move. One said, “Let’s all drive over and kick his mother fu**ing a**!” At that point, my brothers came back and helped me pick up the decoys. As they headed out, they yelled some more unfriendly things all the way back to the channel to get back to the trucks.

That was my last hunt with my brothers. What a shame how it ended. Officer Greg ended up stopping by and asked how our hunt went. We informed him on what had happened. He said there had been another complaint. He told us to call him next time and if possible, record it on a cell phone or a camera. So that’s what I’m doing from now on. I am very well embarrassed and ashamed that duck hunters would act this way. I was scared to stay in the marsh that day. What a class act this group was.
Utah Duck Hunter
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:48 am


Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff. This my friends is the Duck Dynasty generation. They have absolutely no respect for anything or anybody. I commend you for your restraint in this situation and by being the bigger and better man. I do hope the game wardens pay those fellas a little visit.
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 8415
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Wow :no:
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Sorry to hear that man. That's a shame. They will get what is coming to them, and it won't be pretty.


Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I commend you also for your patience. Karma will catch them... and if it's me, it will be a right hook. :hammer:
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm

You sir are a better man than me.
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 14366
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm

ZZZZzzzzzz.... ZZZZZZZZZzZzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Hear that? The sound of a someone who's fishing! If you want to join in on the fun then head on over to the utahwildlife.net thread. It's a 6+ page affair. Not having a dog in this fight I'll just get the popcorn. Better ways to handle a problem like this. But it's far more entertaining and drama filled to play it out on an Internet forum then to be a man and talk to the persons involved.
Factor 8
hunter
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Factor 8 wrote:ZZZZzzzzzz.... ZZZZZZZZZzZzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Hear that? The sound of a someone who's fishing! If you want to join in on the fun then head on over to the utahwildlife.net thread. It's a 6+ page affair. Not having a dog in this fight I'll just get the popcorn. Better ways to handle a problem like this. But it's far more entertaining and drama filled to play it out on an Internet forum then to be a man and talk to the persons involved.

If they are guides, and I had a run in like this with them. I'd tell everybody about it on every forum I could find. The sooner an outfit like that looses their clients, the sooner they are off the water.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8835
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff.



Watch it Magic Mike I resemble those remarks :mad:































:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby 18javelin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I haven't had anyone do this to myself to this extent, however had a group come in on us 10 min before LST on a foggy morning this year 75 yards straight across the finger I hollered over and asked if he was setting up there. he yelled back I already did last night.... well 10 min before LST I aint picking up my decoys.... I was pissed all morning especially when we had 2-3 groups land in front of us. No shots due to peppering the boat hidden in the fog.

fast forward 2 hours of rage fog lifted, out of the woods came a deer hunter with his stand on his back... :yes: Here we thought they were duck hunters..... so I know the rage you felt... ridiculous someone would behave this way... And they do it all the time....

I would have called then and there, I know both COs for my area so they would have backed me up 100% on crap like this... hope its resolved for you.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff.



Watch it Magic Mike I resemble those remarks :mad:































:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:


:lol3: :lol3: Imma gonna knock that flat-billed cap off your noggin!
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 8415
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff.



Watch it Magic Mike I resemble those remarks :mad:































:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:


:lol3: :lol3: Imma gonna knock that flat-billed cap off your noggin!


Normally I would offer back a big bad azz tough guy remark and challenge you but..........I've seen the pics of you and hell no I ain't going there with you big man :lol3:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby The Billcollector » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

They were not guiding. Maybe you guys should get both sides of the story before you beleive everything you read on the internet. I was not there, but know them all well. These guys do more for waterfowl, and waterfowl hunters than everyone else on this site combined. Guaranteed.
The Billcollector
hunter
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:50 pm

The Billcollector wrote:They were not guiding. Maybe you guys should get both sides of the story before you beleive everything you read on the internet. I was not there, but know them all well. These guys do more for waterfowl, and waterfowl hunters than everyone else on this site combined. Guaranteed.


So what you're saying is everything on the internet is not true???
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 8415
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff.



Watch it Magic Mike I resemble those remarks :mad:































:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:


:lol3: :lol3: Imma gonna knock that flat-billed cap off your noggin!


Normally I would offer back a big bad azz tough guy remark and challenge you but..........I've seen the pics of you and hell no I ain't going there with you big man :lol3:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


:lol3: I'm a hugger, not a fighter! :beer:
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 8415
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 pm

The Billcollector wrote:They were not guiding. Maybe you guys should get both sides of the story before you beleive everything you read on the internet. I was not there, but know them all well. These guys do more for waterfowl, and waterfowl hunters than everyone else on this site combined. Guaranteed.


And that's why we should let this thread die until Josh comes on and tells his side of things or we can just keep it on the UWN forum :thumbsup:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Last edited by hamernhonkers on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Reading your post made my blood boil. Man I am so sorry to hear this. Let me guess, they were all wearing black hoodies, had barrel stickers, lanyards full of e-bay purchased bands, wore flat billed caps and generally wanted the duck hunting contingent to believe they were part of some pro-staff.



Watch it Magic Mike I resemble those remarks :mad:































:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:


:lol3: :lol3: Imma gonna knock that flat-billed cap off your noggin!


Normally I would offer back a big bad azz tough guy remark and challenge you but..........I've seen the pics of you and hell no I ain't going there with you big man :lol3:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


:lol3: I'm a hugger, not a fighter! :beer:


Even that scares me. Those are some arm cannons you got (insert shock here) :lol3:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Josh Noble » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
The Billcollector wrote:They were not guiding. Maybe you guys should get both sides of the story before you beleive everything you read on the internet. I was not there, but know them all well. These guys do more for waterfowl, and waterfowl hunters than everyone else on this site combined. Guaranteed.


So what you're saying is everything on the internet is not true???


I can't believe this phlegm made it over here too...LMAO!! I don't know what to say other than this ^^^^ is sooooo accurate!
I was the fella UDH talked to on the dike that morning. Very polite non heated conversation with no cursing. Heck I didn't know he was upset until yesterday when he emailed Chuck the owner of Widow Maker.
Crazy stuff that could have been averted by a simple conversation.

Ah well colder weather and more ducks are on the horizon.

Be good and most importantly be safe!

Josh
Josh Noble
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby cootlover » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:55 pm

I wish I was there josh I have shot clays with you and I no what you do for a living so I don't think you would hurt your lively hood doing that I might be wrong but it don't sound like something you would do.
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Listen fellas, I’ve given this some thought and I just want to throw this out there.....

Aside from the college years, I have lived in the state of Utah my entire life. I grew up with a father who was a water fowler and he got me into it at a very young age. I’ve hunted a lot in this state and during the last few years I’ve hunted on average 1-2 times per week. And never, not one single time, have I ever had another hunter(s) be overly inconsiderate or confrontational with me in any way. What those experiences illustrate for me is that, generally speaking, Utah hunters are good bunch of guys (and gals).

I’ve always tried to make a solid effort to be courteous and not set-up too close to others, sky bust, over call or be a general pain in the neck and therefore ruin another hunter’s experience. I expect the same in return and for the most part, I’ve received it.

I don’t know what happened at the BRBR this past week and frankly, I don’t need or care to know. What I do know is that we are all just trying to make the best out of every opportunity we get to be out in the marsh and hunt, so I really do appreciate all of those who have been respectful when I’ve been out there. As I get older, I feel more and more obligated to help bring the next generation up learning those same values of respect.

Just my 0.02 cents. :beer:
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 8415
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Josh Noble » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:Listen fellas, I’ve given this some thought and I just want to throw this out there.....

Aside from the college years, I have lived in the state of Utah my entire life. I grew up with a father who was a water fowler and he got me into it at a very young age. I’ve hunted a lot in this state and during the last few years I’ve hunted on average 1-2 times per week. And never, not one single time, have I ever had another hunter(s) be overly inconsiderate or confrontational with me in any way. What those experiences illustrate for me is that, generally speaking, Utah hunters are good bunch of guys (and gals).

I’ve always tried to make a solid effort to be courteous and not set-up too close to others, sky bust, over call or be a general pain in the neck and therefore ruin another hunter’s experience. I expect the same in return and for the most part, I’ve received it.

I don’t know what happened at the BRBR this past week and frankly, I don’t need or care to know. What I do know is that we are all just trying to make the best out of every opportunity we get to be out in the marsh and hunt, so I really do appreciate all of those who have been respectful when I’ve been out there. As I get older, I feel more and more obligated to help bring the next generation up learning those same values of respect.

Just my 0.02 cents. :beer:


Gospel!!!
Josh Noble
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Simple » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Im not one to jump into the middle of an argument or anything but I have something to say on this matter... I have read all of this on this forum and also on Utah wildlife and im a little blown away. I have met you Josh at a mud buddy deal last year on the bear river. First time I met you and you were a real nice guy. Provided burgers for everyone and drinks and were pretty down to earth. Also talked to you again with my uncle out air boating on the lake, again nice. As for Chuck I have met and talked to him as well. Ive ran into him while he has been scouting for birds. Great guy went out of his way so he wouldn't screw up my hunt. Both of these guys are pretty well known and do help out the community a lot. Does this mean they are perfect NO. Maybe in their eyes they were far enough but in another's they were to close. Ive read Josh apologize a couple of times in his posts and offered to make it right with the hunter. It takes a big guy to call someone out and then run away, but it takes a real man to stand up and say im sorry and try and make it right.

To Josh and Chuck I hope you didn't screw this guy, but either way I commend you for standing up and trying to make this right.

sincerely just a brown sweater wearing two band lanyard duck hunter, sponsored by me. :thumbsup:
Simple
hunter
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: Brigham City UT

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby Josh Noble » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Simple wrote:Im not one to jump into the middle of an argument or anything but I have something to say on this matter... I have read all of this on this forum and also on Utah wildlife and im a little blown away. I have met you Josh at a mud buddy deal last year on the bear river. First time I met you and you were a real nice guy. Provided burgers for everyone and drinks and were pretty down to earth. Also talked to you again with my uncle out air boating on the lake, again nice. As for Chuck I have met and talked to him as well. Ive ran into him while he has been scouting for birds. Great guy went out of his way so he wouldn't screw up my hunt. Both of these guys are pretty well known and do help out the community a lot. Does this mean they are perfect NO. Maybe in their eyes they were far enough but in another's they were to close. Ive read Josh apologize a couple of times in his posts and offered to make it right with the hunter. It takes a big guy to call someone out and then run away, but it takes a real man to stand up and say im sorry and try and make it right.

To Josh and Chuck I hope you didn't screw this guy, but either way I commend you for standing up and trying to make this right.

sincerely just a brown sweater wearing two band lanyard duck hunter, sponsored by me. :thumbsup:


Simple,
Ya know you bring up some good points. I honestly didn't think we were to close but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what we thought because UDH thinks we were. If there's been anything good that has come from this it's that I'm personally going to be much more aware and make sure there's no questions regarding distance between sets. Sad that UDH hasn't come back to either accept my offer or tell me to go pound sand. Either way the last thing that I wanted to do was ruin a fellas day out on the marsh. Lord knows we work way to hard during the week to not have the best time possible.
Josh Noble
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby cootlover » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 pm

You no if he thinks your to close he can go buy some land are deal with it boo who I think a half mile is to close but I don't own the swamp like a guy that sat ten feet away from me on the dike said you don't own this dike ill sit where I want.
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Widow Maker Boats Hunt at BRBR

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 pm

The op is full of **it, I know chuck and he wouldn't do anything to put his company in danger. Is 200yds too close, I'd say depends on location and cover. When your in the public eye like Josh and Chuck you'll always be a target for some idiot to try and slander you or your business, that's one reason not to be a "pro staff" anything.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
User avatar
duckslayer74
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Harrisville, UT

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests