14' Flat Bottom Duck Boat Requirements

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

14' Flat Bottom Duck Boat Requirements

Postby cckjterry » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Hello all, first post here and am excited to get thing rolling. I've been a foot soldier for a long time, until now. Just bought a 14' flat bottom with a small kicker motor. Curious if anyone can tell me what the Utah State requirements are for safety items that I need to have on board before we head out in the new craft. We'll most likely be at BRBR, Farmington or Ogden Bay where the DWR cops are likely to be. I'm wanting to avoid a ticket.
According to the States web site, the main items are life vests and an ore. What about fire extinguisher and lighting? Do I need a bailing bucket? Flare? Horn etc?...
Thanks in advance...
cckjterry
Newb

Re: 14' Flat Bottom Duck Boat Requirements

Postby Gonegoosin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your boat as much as we have ours. I don't know if size makes a difference per the law but I would suggest you have everything required which includes life vests to fit the people in the boat, a throwable floatation pad, bail bucket, fire extinguisher, horn, the lights for front and back of the boat, etc. You can pick up a brochure at Mud Buddy or other Marine stores that tell you everything you will need or I'm sure you can find it on line. Have a good time and be safe out there. May I suggest you text Josh Noble so he can include your # with other MM users in case you need help or can offer assistance to others. I can PM you his # if you need it.

Jeff
Gonegoosin
hunter

Postby hunt4life » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 pm

For Boats Under 16ft
Display of Registration Decals
Registration Card On Board
Display of Bow Numbers
Spare Propulsion (paddle)
Bailing Device
One Life Jacket for Each Person On Board (kids under 13 wearing)
Proper Navigation Lights
Capacity Plate Displayed (1973 +)
Hull Identification Number (HIN)
Proof of Liability Insurance - for PWCs and motorboats with 50 hp or greater engines
hunt4life
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I watched a guy get nailed on opening day with his 14 foot for the following.....

- Not enough life jackets for people
- had a whistle but wasn't loud enough ( dollar store air horns work perfect)
- no bail bucket
- no red-green light on the front
- no paddle
- no extinguisher
I cant remember if there was anything else. But on my boat I have a paddle, empty battery box for bail bucket and in it I have my registration, and air horn. Also have a life jacket for each person (usually 2), an oar, headlights with a red green light in the middle, and a mini fire extinguisher. And then of course all of the proper boat numbers and decals on the side. It sounds like a lot but its better to obey the law then to pay the law ha ha
Simple
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:41 am

It's not the law but have some duct tape,, zip ties, tool's ,first aid kit, .heater, some kind of signal device we ate up a keyway the other day it would have been nice to have one. A spare pair of dry gloves the list goes on just remember a 14 ft boat is not very big on a windy day and watch the ice it can sink a boat in a hurry :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting