Need Some Help

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Need Some Help

Postby MatD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi All. I am new to the forum but I am trying to find some information on a good place to take a friend of mine out for some geese, now I know nobody wants to give away their honey hole and I don't blame you, but here is my deal my friend Steve is a wounded vet and can't walk around much maybe a couple hundred yards before his ankle start giving him problems, Steve is who got me into waterfowl hunting and I feel like I need to help in some way but not sure how hence that is why I am on here I figured you guys would point me in the right direction. So here is the deal I live in Ogden and he lives in South Jordan but he loves to hunt up north around where i live and for about two months now I have been trying to find a place to hunt geese but everywhere I have looked is all private property or it's iced over, Steve has a flat bottomed boat with a pretty good motor on It, I think it's a Mud Buddy 27 horse hyper drive, and it get us where we need to go out on Bear River. Now Steve was nice enough to take me out and get me a swan this year (first one for me) and so I feel like that I should return the favor. Do any of you know who I can talk to about hunting geese we don't mind paying a land owners fee if need be but we don't make a whole lot of money so paying for a guide will be our last resort. If any of you know what I can do or where I can go that would be great. Thank you for your time.
MatD
Newb

Re: Need Some Help

Postby MAX4Utah » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 pm

If you scouted some private property that had geese on it, just approch the land owner about hunting it. I dont know any good ol americam farmers that would turn down a wounded war vet. Worst they can say is no. And if there are to many geese for just two guys, let me know and ill help ya kill some :thumbsup:
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Like max said most geese are on private property and most lease it. When it comes to hunting honker's people can be rude. Your best bet would be to hunt Idaho next year lot's of birds and pretty easy getting on land.
cootlover
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:26 pm

If I had geese on the property I control I'd help you out! Take the above advise. Seems all the utah goose hunters are really hunting Idaho these days. Good luck!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby MatD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks for the advise gentlemen, one more question for you that same friend I mentioned above is also interested in hunting snow geese and I have been asking around but haven't been able to confirm yet do snow geese come to Utah as much as some hunters say or are they blowing smoke up my butt? Also the only place I have heard that is fairly good for snows is at Salt Creek or surrounding walk in access areas near Salt Creek, are those rumors true I don't want to ask my friend to come all the way from West Jordan just to get skunked, even though that happens a lot these days but it would be nice to bag something this time of the year.
MatD
Newb

Return to Utah Duck Hunting