Dang is anyone still hunting?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Dang is anyone still hunting?

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

So did the big freeze really put an end to the hunting up north guys?

We are seeing a full on north migration going on down here. It seems like a few new birds are showing up then gone. Today seemed to be a day with a few new birds. I once again was witness to a magnificent show put on by big pinners with wings bowed and floating into the blocks. Sure was a surprise to see them like this with a full moon and a high of 70 but hey I will take it.

Well one more week to go down here. Hope some of you boys get a chance to finish out this weekend with some good shoots!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Dang is anyone still hunting?

Postby Factor 8 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 pm

headed for pintails and mallards myself tomorrow. Hoping for a few birds to move around with the high pressure. I'll finish off the season on Saturday with a good old mallard shoot in our mallard hole. if i can get lucky, i hope to put my eye on a cinny. wishful thinking!! but still fun to wish!!

nice sprigs hammer!
Factor 8
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 am

Factor 8 wrote:headed for pintails and mallards myself tomorrow. Hoping for a few birds to move around with the high pressure. I'll finish off the season on Saturday with a good old mallard shoot in our mallard hole. if i can get lucky, i hope to put my eye on a cinny. wishful thinking!! but still fun to wish!!

nice sprigs hammer!

Darin good luck the next couple of days!

Funny thing about the cinny, had one this morning fly by just out of range. Looks like they are on the move north as well.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 am

very nice there hamernhonkers hope fully them birds will stick around till next week
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Not to bad at all this afternoon! It appears we had some new birds move around. Going for a all out black hole tomorrow! Going to set it all out and hope for the best! 11+ dozen full body ducks and roll the die. Hope to have an all drake shoot on the last hoora!!!

Factor 8
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Factor 8 wrote:Not to bad at all this afternoon! It appears we had some new birds move around. Going for a all out black hole tomorrow! Going to set it all out and hope for the best! 11+ dozen full body ducks and roll the die. Hope to have an all drake shoot on the last hoora!!!

Very nice!

Well how did the last day go?

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Kevin N » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:25 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Very nice!

I"ll tell ya how it went..... It sucked ass...... Just because it was the last hoooraa and I missed the previous outing... My luck I guess. Shot a few, birds came in a lot latter than expected and wanted 150 yards from we're we were set. Got to love it when they hit that ceiling and just won't commit.... Location, location, location....... Such is how it goes.. Just the last chance for the birds to let us know we suck..... And have the rest of the year to think about it! Lol
Kevin N
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:

As kev stated we pretty much got our rear ends handed to us. the day before i seen birds a plenty. the next day not the case. the hide was hard, but ive had worse. anyhow here were the two pics i snapped with the cell.

excited for the day as we started off. never had that many decoys stacked on the little trailer. we threw it all out there.

We had open water at the end of this ditch. set out 11 dz full body ducks, a few mojo's for motion, and couldnt get them to commit.
Factor 8
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:01 am

Factor 8 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:

As kev stated we pretty much got our rear ends handed to us. the day before i seen birds a plenty. the next day not the case. the hide was hard, but ive had worse. anyhow here were the two pics i snapped with the cell.

excited for the day as we started off. never had that many decoys stacked on the little trailer. we threw it all out there.

We had open water at the end of this ditch. set out 11 dz full body ducks, a few mojo's for motion, and couldnt get them to commit.

Darin and Kevin,

Not to throw salt on the wound but something to think about, by chance do you think you went to big and had to much motion?

I ask because down here I have had to do the exact opposite for the last 4 weeks as the birds have not played nice at all. In fact I am using the motion to keep the birds from going where I don't want them.

I figure the birds have seen it all now for 5 months and for me going radical the other way it has worked very well.

I have 3 days here this weekend to keep with my small odd spread to finish it out.

Glad you boys at least got out even if it didn't pay off and I hope the snow geese play nice for you. If they don't I still look forward to those amazing pics from your outings!!!

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Factor 8 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:56 am

hamernhonkers wrote:
Darin and Kevin,

Not to throw salt on the wound but something to think about, by chance do you think you went to big and had to much motion?

I ask because down here I have had to do the exact opposite for the last 4 weeks as the birds have not played nice at all. In fact I am using the motion to keep the birds from going where I don't want them.

I figure the birds have seen it all now for 5 months and for me going radical the other way it has worked very well.

I have 3 days here this weekend to keep with my small odd spread to finish it out.

Glad you boys at least got out even if it didn't pay off and I hope the snow geese play nice for you. If they don't I still look forward to those amazing pics from your outings!!!

Hammer,
you know we sat there as all this was shaking down talking of the "if's" about it all. The main problem we had was location. The birds wanted the property to the north of us about 200 yards or so. If we could have set up there it would have been a whole different story. so that was the huge issue. we thought if we black holed it then we could pull them over to the less desired spot. hence the all out spread. we did have the thought as things didnt come together that we may have went to big. the birds circled on that 60 yard ceiling and hung up. only had a few drop into the kill zone or we had a few singles zip through as we waited for the flock to set in. it was really frustrating. certainly a challenge! thats what keeps you coming back for more. i hope to have some habitat improvements on this area for next year. fingers crossed i might have a food plot in the works. yum-yum!!
Factor 8
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting