new calls on the lanyard? any new decoys for the new season?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

new calls on the lanyard? any new decoys for the new season?

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:01 pm

So what calls are you going to have on the lanyard this season.
Is it the old stand by or have you bought something new you are in love with.

Did anybody buy new blocks? If so what did you buy?

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:21 pm

Bret,

I'll have the same old calls on the lanyard (although I might tie me up a new lanyard for kicks). Did get some new GHG oversized pintail and spoony decoys :thumbsup:

How about you, anything new?

Tyler
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:50 pm

This year so far new to the arsenal I have a new

Tim Grounds Supermage Acrylic goose call
Primos Acrylic Yo sista single reed
RNT Quackhead Timbre
1 dozen new to me G&H swivel head mallards
4 G&H supermag swivel heads

I am planning on getting a DOA double trouble to add to the aresenol.

Thats it for now...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby luckeyduck69 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:02 pm

i just got a new hand braided lanyard off of ebay its relly nice if u wont to chick it out hear is the item number (7160874356) i like it a lot for my duck calls i have a buck gardner call and a HS call bothe duble reed. :yes:
luckeyduck69
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:26 pm

I got six smiling spoonbills ( sound like a christmas song) before last season they are cool.

I did not need new duck calls buyt heck what is an addiction if you don't feed it.

These are the calls I have aquired since last Jan. Some will get hunted others will just go in the collection.

Buck Gardners New Main Street

Betts purple and clear acrylic

River Mallard purple and clear acrylic

Tru-Tone green and black acrylic

RNT Short barrel in Bois D' Ark

Rowdy DOA double trouble smoke and mallard acrylic
I already had one in coco/acrylic but I got a deal :thumbsup:

Two Rowdy DOA new Xtremes Black acrylic and Ivory acrylic.
I am going to buy one of these All meat specials too.

I may have forgoten something.

Hoping to get.....

A Doc hull susie, Gaston Rival, Lares T-1

Don't tease me for being a call addict I hear admitting it is the first step towards recovery. I am not sure I am ready for that yet though.:help:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby firebird » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:21 pm

I won't add any new calls this season but was excited to see Greenhead Gear added redheads and cans to the arsenal. I'll get afew just to add color to my diver spread. Their feeding mallards are awesome too. Like most of you I got their shovelors last year and really like them. On the other hand I already have more decoys than I will ever use, at least that's what the wife thinks!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:31 pm

They just don't get it do they. :withstupid:
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:02 pm

My wife just bought me a new Fred zinc SR1 The guy at sportsmans made it sound like a whole flock was coming and circling the store But I have not got it figured out yet Im not much of a goose caller anyway So Im starting to think mabey its to much call for me So fine tuned That unless you really know what your doing It wont sound right mabey Im wrong and just should stay with calling ducks
green head2
hunter

Postby FlatCoat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:16 am

Hey Firebird, just tell the wife "Decoys are like shoes, some of them are so pretty, you just have to have them, even if they are impracticle"

and then hit the deck :yes: :toofunny:
FlatCoat
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 pm

:withstupid: :toofunny:
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:45 am

I think I finally figured out my zink So I guess I will be taking it If you here someone blowing a goose call That sounds like stepping on a kids toy And letting the air out of a baloon at the same time Come say hi
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:06 am

WOW :eek: you must be in every public marsh in the state on opening day. I hear that every year. I will stop and say hi though.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Bret does that mean Im doing it right :laughing: :getdown: :getdown: Someone call my wife and tell her thats what a goose is supposed sound like Thanks
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:39 pm

i bought an rnt timbre acrylic and an rnt kelley powers short reed last year right at the end of the year. the duck call i love, the goose call i need alot more practice with. otherwise bret will be coming over to say hi to green head2 and it will really be me stepping on that kids toy.
Last edited by honer on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honer
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:12 pm

:toofunny: Either way we will have a good laugh. :salude:

I like that timbre call too.

I have not blown the Powers goose but I can probably make it sound like a cat in a blender.

Speaking of bad calls has anyone seen the Mentos comercial with the quacking Canada Geese. I mean who doesn't know Canadian Honkers honk....come on.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby honer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:20 pm

when i saw that commercial i threw a fit. i was ranting and raving to my wife about the "uneduacated masses." she didn't appreciate the rant though. i guess she falls into the catagory of "uneduacated masses." until you posted that she had me thinking i was being too anal. glad to know there are other detailed interested people out there.
honer
State Moderator

Postby firebird » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:40 am

I did finally add some tools to the arsenal. I bought a blind for the duck boat and a couple dozen decoys, just the newer models of mallards from Redhead Gear and the swivel head mallards from Cabelas. Got the new GHG canvasbacks in the mail awhile ago and have them all ready to go. Not sure why I buy new dekes, kind of like calls, you can never have too many even though you hardly ever have time to use the ones you have.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby duckaddict » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am

I bought a new RNT MVP last year and really have liked it. My buddy bought the HS Ringer and I have blown it a little. The more I blow it the more I like it. I am looking to get a good double reed this year and aint afraid of spending a little money. Does anybody have any suggestions? I blew the HS ringer 2 and the HS diamond wood calls and liked the diamond wood. There was one other call I blew, but didn't like. I have a cheap Haydell's DR 85 that sounds great for the price, but I want something that is a little louder and maybe on the higer end as opposed to being too wraspy. I guess I just want the dang thing for a great hen on the water.
duckaddict
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:12 am

my favorite double reed is the Rowdy DOA double trouble. Try one of those for sure. The other double I hear good things about though I can not make one sound good myself is the zinc XR-2.

Good luck.
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby duckaddict » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Bret,

Where do I find this call. I got on the doagamecalls website but they didn't mention any stores that carry their calls. I would like to blow it or hear a better audio on it. Let me know since your the expert at this stuff.
duckaddict
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting