opening day

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

opening day

Postby chance hunter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:28 pm

were are you going to on opening day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :smile:
chance hunter
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:56 pm

Where the ducks and geese are hopfully :yes: :toofunny: Ive got a spot That has corn and a pond on the river And straight across from it is a hunting clubs marsh ground And when them yahoos go in to it they kick up a gillion billion wings And I just close my eyes and shoot The bad thing is they hunt it so hard after the first week only a few birds go in there And about the time they roost over there again it frezzes :pissed: And then its kinda slow
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 pm

I have a little spot that I hunt with my brother for the past few years on opening day. We have been left alone from the crowds and it is on public ground. We usually do well.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:34 am

It 's all about scouting for me. Some years one spot produces well or maybe a buddy has a new place to try. I've never had a bad day at Strawberry or the Public Shooting Grounds and most likely end up at one of those two. Of course the crowds are getting worse. M y scouting secret is to drive the places I am considering hunting on Youth day, see what s flying and see how the young in body do, then respond accordingly. Of course I am always out checking on the local duck population.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:46 am

I'm not a fan of the opener, I may even miss it. I like to get out the middle of the first week when the marsh isn't crowded and I can get the birds to work a bit. If I do go, it'll be to a small little spit of water that won't see many other hunters but we'll not have to worry about crowds.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby green head2 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:48 pm

I counted over 60 geese today in my field And probably another 20 or so by richfield when I was heading over to richfield for boat parts Just got me real excited
green head2
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting