Cabelas almost here

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Cabelas almost here

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:39 am

I've made a couple trips to Nebraska before and been to Bass Pro in Texas, But a backyard Cabela's! I can't wait, how do you guys feel about it? I'm already saving money and making my shopping list, its alittle like Christmas...
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:29 pm

I am excited a good friend of mine is working there. I have been to Bass Pro in Kady TX but have yet to go to a Cabelas. I think it will be cool I will probably wait to visit until the crowds die down some. I don't buy to much other than shells, and little stuff from retailers these days so I am more excited about the experience and I hope they have a classic gun room like I have heard about.
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:19 am

Bret,

I've been to the BPS in Dallas/Fortworth :thumbsup: . I too will wait for the opening day crowds to die before going. I figure that I'll get my same items that I always do from Cabelas (waders, decoys etc.) but I'll just pick them up in person rather than ordering them online. One plus will be being able to try on waders/boots etc. before buying. Nothing worse than having to exchange for a different size.

Tyler
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:24 am

The funny thing is I will be going to a contest at Cabelas in KC like the week before Cabelas Utah opens.

August 26,27,28

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:00 am

Sounds like fun!!!

Good luck on the contest, does the winner get a seat in Stutgart?

Tyler
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:07 am

I have been to most of the cabela stores in the united states and most of the bass pro shops I really like the bps in vegas and springfield mo I too will wait for the crowds to die down I think sportsmans has better prices on most things But it will be nice to have a cabelas in ut even though I still have to drive 130 miles to get to it Bret good luck :thumbsup:
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:50 pm

yes the contests are sanctioned regionals I think there are four that weekend. I thank you for the well wishes. I will do my best, but I also know where my place is. In contests that big with that kind of quality callers it would take a lot of luck and for me to blow the three best routines I have ever blown. My goal is to make it to the third round in at least one of them. No matter what happens it will be a learning experience for sure.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Well hope for the best By the way they gonna have the worst goose callers contest there Im sure I would win that and we could split the expenses :laughing: :oops: I just cant get that ZR1 to sound like fred My wife is about to make me move out to the barn :thumbsdown:
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:15 am

Well Fred is one heck of a caller. I can't make a goose call sound very goos either. I can blow a duck call a little.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:48 pm

For under $30 you can buy a flute call and master the basics in 2 days, Zink and the boys make it look easy but you may have noticed they don't spend much time in Utah...
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Yes he does make it look easy I got a free video when I bought it That teaches you how to blow it But I feel like my head is going to explode trying to make a sound come out and Still have enough air to make a few more Ive got 2 mo to figure it out Hopfully my wife can take it
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:36 pm

It may be tuned to heavy for you. You might call him and talk to him he might be able to lighten it up a little. There are a couple guys in the state that blow zinc in comps I bet they could help you out too. Blow it a little bit longer then let me know if you still feel like you are struggling for enough air. I will get you in touch with somebody.

we sure high jacked this thread.
Sorry Firebird.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 pm

Thanks bret i will let you know And Im sorry too firebird
green head2
hunter

Postby firebird » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:03 pm

Got into Cabelas last night for a special contractors opening. The store lives up to the billing and all the frills you would expect. The gun library is a hunters dreamworld! Even on the abbreviated opening the place was crammed. The staff were very good with all the pressure. My dad loved the aquarium and I spent nearly an hour in the big game wing. I wish there was more bird taxidermy but that is my thing. I didn't notice the calls(sorry Bret) but they had everything I wanted to look at plus some other stuff I didn't know I couldn't live without until last night...My wife mostly loved the fudge! I would expect monster traffic in there and slow lines at the registers for awhile but definitely worth the wait!
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:55 pm

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to check it out for myself.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting