New introduction thread.

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

New introduction thread.

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:06 pm

I see some new people and some old names too. Introduce yourself.

My name is Bret Wonnacott I have lived in northern utah all my 35 years.I live in north Davis county with my wife of two years. No kids yet.
I hunt ducks and upland game, but have not bothered with big game or geese in a few years. I have two English setters that are a riot to hunt upland birds over and they do a fair job as duck dogs in the shallow water that I most often hunt. I hunt mostly the public marshes on the east shore of the GSL for ducks, and southern Idaho for both upland and waterfowl. About 1990 I picked up a duck call and started practicing with it.......Well I got hooked on the things ....now I compete in contests and it is my number one goal (dream) to get to the big show in Stuttgart ARK.. After two second place finishes in the last two trys at The Utah state I am getting a little frustrated, but I am nothing if not persistant. I am an amature duck call collector, and am proud to be on the prostaff for Rowdy DOA game calls.

I always love making new friends. Post up often this is a nice little board.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby honer » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:23 pm

my name is matt hone i currently live in provo. i very recently lived in santaquin (i was neighbor's with carp. i only mention it to get the sympathy that is due to me!!!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ), and hope to be back there fairly soon. i have hunted ducks for 5 of my 30 yrs on this earth, and am completely 100% hooked. i look forward to the duck hunt from the day after the last hunt ends.
i have to admit i am more of a reader then a poster on these forum sites, but i do look every day and get quite a kick out of the things that people talk about on here. anyhow, glad to know the folks in here and i hope to see some of you out in the marsh this year.
honer
State Moderator

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:52 pm

John Sumner from Orem and just younger than Bret. .I am currently working with a 2 year old english setter and just got a chesapeake puppy after losing my veteran last Spring. I have a pregnant wife and 4 year old daughter. I am a full-time firefighter and operate Bird in Hand Taxidermy on my off days. I raise gamebirds and hunt literally everything available on a budget. My favorites have always been waterfowl because of the variety and country they live in. I don't call much figuring if I am in the right place they will come but admit to being a decoy freak. We enjoy hunting the entire state and especially exploring other states as well. Although strongly opinionated I try to appreciate intelligent ideas from others. I believe making a difference requires involvment and currently serve on several organization board of directors. Thanks to Bret and the others who frequent here, I enjoy the diversion!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby sprig_hunter » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:47 pm

My name is Blair, and I am currently in Logan going to school. I am in the wildlife program at Utah State and hope to graduate in a few years and become a waterfowl biologist. I've been married for a few years but don't have any kids yet. I have worked on the marshes around the GSL for several years, working for the DWR. I and am also currently working on a project with a PhD student as well...in which we do nest checks at Bear River looking at nest success. We are also doing some nutrition studies by looking at the feeding habits of shovelers, green-wing teal, and goldeneyes. I love duck hunting, and as you can see, the birds consume all my time at work and play. Good to meet you all!
sprig_hunter
Newb

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

My name is Tyler and I hunt with Carp and a few others. Honer and I have had the fun of spending one hunt pulling my truck out of the mud :thumbsup: (we'll have to do that again, it was a hoot). 39 years OLD, foot soldier and certified decoy junkie. Have a 2 year old BLM pup that I've been training up, we have fun and even get him a bird or two to fetch every now and then. Have a few calls, but mainly use my Gaston and a whistle.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby green head2 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:41 pm

Im 34 I like sunset walks on the beach Im blonde green eyes and Im looking for a :laughing: just kidding Im a clown always trying to have fun and making jokes I live in centerfield Its in sanpete county My wife and I have been married 11yrs And have 2 girls 10 and 9 and a son 4 yrs This is my best friend Wants to be just like me Wakes me up in the middle of the nite when he see's ducks on the outdoor channel I have two dogs a 3yr old chessie and my new female lab pup I got in feberuaryI hunt everything I can but ducks and geese are my favorite I own my own company and in the winter it slows down so I can hunt about 4 days a week I plan on hunting up north alot this year Im just curious about it Ive been there with my cousins a few times had a great time I have plenty of ground to hunt down here but not the marshes and the stuff you see on tv I just got a new boat And have been building like crazy on it today I can call ducks pretty decsent but gesse learned to double cluck from laughing at me I need to practice alot Anyway hope to see yall up there
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:21 am

hey tyler, i would love to pull your truck out again!!! seeing how i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn that day, getting your truck out of the mud was the only success i had!! anytime your church calling will allow (and i hear it is a large calling) and you need a hunting buddy, i'm up for it.
honer
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:27 am

Im 34 I like sunset walks on the beach Im blonde green eyes and Im looking for a

:laughing: That is funny stuff right there

I do feel for you Honer and the living next to Carp and his floss undershorts thing. You must be a very strong man to live that way. :toofunny:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby luckeyduck69 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:00 pm

kinda old but kinda new. my name is joe i am 27 years old i live in rose parke in salt lake ive bin hunting off and on sence i wose 13. i dont have a wife or a gerl so that makes it ezy for me i two get out. i like atving in the off sezen but i like duck hunting the best i do hunt som big game to but i have never got a dear or elk yet . i just got a mossberg88 12ga for this year my budduy tim has had his longer then i have . he told me thay are relly good guns for duck hunting. i usee too have a sears bolt action 20ga it wose relly slow for duck hunting but some wone stoll it . i am looking to go out this year and wack some ducks withe my new gun. well its nice to reed a bout all of u i have a hard time with spelling so sary my spelling isint all that grate but i thenk u can still reed it ... :thumbsup: :salude: :thumbsup:
luckeyduck69
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 pm

I am glad you are all here. I was so loanly in the off season on this site.
Only a brief visit now and then from carp or sprig kept me going.

Don't worry about spelling so much I stink at it too. This is a hunting board not a spelling bee.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:39 pm

Thats right its a hunting fourm not a spelling bee The only thing I ask is you spell the directions to your honey hole right :tounge: :laughing:
green head2
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:21 am

Carp and I keep our visits short. We've been run off of too many other sites to count :eek: :toofunny:

Been a long off season for me as well.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:59 am

Honer,

We'll have to see what we can do to get the weenie truck stuck again. If not we'll have to go explore some more of the river (and watch Carp shoot a few sawbills :getdown: ). We'll have to hook up, I need help in keeping Carp under control, he's a mad man out there in the marsh. I still think that convenience store has his picture up on the banned list (and the two ugly sisters have his mug shot on their most wanted list :thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing: ).

Tyler
UtahSprig
hunter

New Guy

Postby w1!dbill » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 am

Just got through checking out the forum and decided to join. I'm 39 and recently retired from the Air Force and moved to Layton from Wyoming to work for Boeing. Been married twice, but currently am unsupervised. Did you know if you lose half your stuff twice, you've lost all your stuff? I'm a displaced Arkansan...grew up only a few miles away from Stuttgart. As you'd expect, I love duck hunting and am looking forward to pursuing it here. Went to Salt Creek for the youth hunt last weekend with a couple of friends and their kids and had a blast. I'm definitely not a competition caller, but do manage to fool a duck or two occasionally. I'd appreciate any/all advice on hunting in this area and will offer my assistance when it's appropriate/required. Also, I've got dekes, passable calling skills, and a flexible work schedule if someone needs a person to back-up their excuses for missing.

Nice to "meet" all of you.

Bill
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Glad to have you Bill. :salude: You being from Ark. I just naturally assume you were born with a call in one hand a shotgun in the other, and givin inherently the skills to fool ducks without any trouble at all.

Welcome post often.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:20 pm

Welcome to this place :salude: If you need help calling Bret can straighten you out If you ever come down to the south central part of the state Ill take you out My wife is sick And I dont think she is going this weekend now I have to set the decoys And my dog has to work Were going to miss her :laughing: So I have a empty seat in the boat if anyone is needing a place to sit
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:51 pm

bill, glad to have you here. good luck on the upcoming hunt. i have never hunted salt creek , but we do usually hunt on the other side of the highway (public shooting grounds) once a year or so and have a good time. if you are planning on heading up there over the coarse of the hunt, keep us posted on how the bird numbers are and when it freezes over.
honer
State Moderator

Postby duckaddict » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:26 pm

I have been checking this site lately and haven't posted anything yet but like reading everybody's comments. My name is Eric Stratford and I live in Ogden. I am 26 yrs old and I have been duck hunting with a gun since I was 11 yrs old (my b-day is in November), but have been trucking along with my dad since I was a little tike. Each night before a day of duck hunting is like Christmas as a kid to me, I can't sleep. I have been married for 3 1/2 years and my wife is still giving up quite a few kitchen passes, bless her heart. I had been a foot soldier for many years until just last year. I went in on a duck boat last year with my dad and brother. We had a friend build it for us and then threw on a mud buddy hyperdrive motor. This year we are putting on the camo and blind. Needless to say I will be putting on a few pounds this winter because I don't intend on hiking much. I have a 3 yr old yellow lab female that can hunt with the best of them. I am somewhat OK with a duck call, I can turn some heads every now and then. I do love to practice blowing that thing on the way to work or where ever else I drive before and during the season. One of my favorite days is the youth hunt. I love to get young kids out there to shoot their first duck or sharpen their skills before the opener, we had a blast this year. Good luck to everybody on the opener.
duckaddict
hunter

Thanks

Postby w1!dbill » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:05 pm

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Yep, being from Arkansas does cause expectations in regard to duck hunting ability. When I hunted in Wyoming, my buddies expected me to be able to pull in every bird within sight and would get upset if I didn't. They learned, over time, to lower their expecations a bit. It was cool to read about Bret's competition experience. I've been a spectator at a few competitions in Stuttgart and it's hard to believe someone can be that good. If you could even get on the stage with those folks, that says a lot about your skill and guts. Keep at it, you'll get there.

I think it's going to be good out here. Seem to be more ducks here vs. Wyoming. It's way different hunting out west...nothing like taking them in the flooded timber.
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby honer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 pm

Eric Stratford, a hardy welcome to you as well. enjoy your time here and good luck this weekend. :thumbsup:
honer
State Moderator

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:31 pm

My name is Jim. I'm originally from Lehi, now I live in Sandy. 27 years old. Some of the best times I've ever had in my life are duck hunting with my dad. How is it that you can get to know someone real well sitting 10 ft away from them, in silence for a few hours, but only when you're duck hunting?

I've hunted the public areas for my whole life, mostly around the Great Salt Lake. I have a couple dozen deeks, a nice gun and the necessary gear. No dog, no boat. Those will come along some day. I'm a novice caller, still scare the ducks more than bring them in, but I have fun.

I'm a real chill person, and I'd love to get together with any of ya for a hunt or two, just send me a PM.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bill. I sure hope I get there some day soon.

Welcome Jim and Eric it is a fun little party we have going here join in and post often. I really like this site.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:02 pm

:welcome: Jim and eric Like bret said this is a fun site And post often Everybody here is helpful and full of jokes Actually now that Im thinking about it I dont think I have ever seen a argument here Wow that is a rare thing huh I think all the guys here really know what they are talking about And give good advice So enjoy look forward to hearing more from yall
green head2
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:21 am

green head, you mention that you're down in the Gunnison area. I actually know a few people down there, even some in Salina! Anyway, that's a beautiful part of the state. Pure, clean, undiscovered. Oh, and I just wanted to mention how jealous I am about your hunting spot!
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:30 am

Well since you know pepole down here Im sorry But I will never be able to take you there :tounge: Unless you know the same pepole I know If they duck hunt and hunt redmond lake alot then I am pretty sure I would know them I love living here everything And anything is here that I love to do not more than 5 min away Except try getting a 2x12x16ft or 4 3 1/4 in 5/16 bolts on a sat afternoon Some things are impossiable everything closes at noon and both walmarts are about 40 miles away it can be a pain sometimes
green head2
hunter

Next

Return to Utah Duck Hunting