rigging a long decoy line

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

rigging a long decoy line

Postby duckmanwalking » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:46 pm

I want to put 2 or 3 dozen decoys on one line, so that I can put them out faster, and get them in quicker?? Any one have a great system that will work?
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Postby birdieman_21 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:37 pm

It's Ok Duckman I'll Reply to your post since no one else will. The problem is I don't know the first thing about a long line rig, hopefully you will just laugh at this anyway. Well I've got to go sale something .

Se Ya In The Swamp.
birdieman_21
birdieman_21
hunter

Postby bbaird » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:06 pm

Go to Cabelas catalog and order their decoy gang rigs I use them and they work real well. You will have to expermit with what way works well for you When you put goose floaters on you need heavy weights but duck decoys I use 8 ounce weights at each end. You can get them in 12 and 8 count rigs I like the 8 count because the 12 count are really long if you have a buddy and a boat it is no problem but by yourself it can be a pain. But they do work well.
bbaird
bbaird
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:14 pm

Be careful with long lines if you have a dog. They can get tangled up in the long line quite easily. If you go this route and have a dog, make your droppers long enough that the dog can swim over the main line.

Also, they're not really that much faster than setting the decoys individually. You can spool the line and attach the decoys as you set the long line. If you kept the decoys attached you'll really have to watch for tangles etc. Longlines work best in deep water where you don't want to mess with lines 20 feet or longer on each decoy.
UtahSprig
hunter

Decoy rig

Postby stampnducks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:29 pm

Take your rigging rope and stretch out arms length and tie a loop each time until you hit 14 loops. 12 for the decoys and one on each end for anchors for those windy days. use the clips from Cabelas and have them allready tied to your decoys on a couple of feet of line. Roll your main line with the loops on a extenstion cord roller upper. As you unwind it hook up your decoys and through out. As you bring them in same thing. Works great, give it a try.
stampnducks
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting