swan hunt

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

swan hunt

Postby green head2 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:34 pm

I have never out in for a swan But Im going to this year Are they a statewide hunt or for different areas And how much do they cost There are a few in my fields every year for the past 5 yrs Thought I might thin the herd a little How many of yall are putting in hope i can draw one I have not been able to draw a thing all year
green head2
hunter

Postby firebird » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:10 pm

Bad news for you...Swans are only legal in the vicinity of the Great Salt Lake. Even then not all of the vicinity is legal. Which means big crowds which make the birds skittish and most guys get antsy and end up killing a little grey one. Law enforcement is strict on this one so make sure you complete your swan orientation course on the fish and game website and thoroughly read that proclamation. They are fun to hunt, I use decoys early and have good success although the best birds are killed later in the season. You can shoot at ducks and geese in the process but use care in the shell number restriction areas. I've killed one for about 4 years running now and will put in again, but truly the good ole' days of swan hunting with lots of open areas and few restrictions are over.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Put in greenhead. I killed four in the early 1990s then stopped for a few years. I have been putting in recently but have not drawn. I have a few friends that have and like firebird said decoys and calls are the way to go. I have been working on the call thing but it is dificult to get any good instruction. I might be able to make a good sound or two by the season. If you draw and need help I will put you on some or at least point you in the right direction. The hunt is fairly easy in my experience. three of my friends had tags last year and we filled all three. The one guy shot a grey one out of the third flock that came in and put feet down. The other two killed the first two that came in to the blocks and they just happened to be good ones. That double on swans was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Those guys just smoked 'em boom boom It was over.

Fun Fun Fun

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:42 pm

:thumbsdown: I was hoping to get them from the house But I guess thats the reason there still around But Im glad I asked Would have hated to make my game warden friends mad at me I hunt with a few of them once in awhile would have been my luck to shoot them while they were with me I will still put in I want to hunt up north alot this year and bret thanks if I do draw I imagine Yall on this fourm will be the first to know And good luck to you guys if your putting in Thanks for the info
green head2
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:19 am

ANYONE got a good recipe for swan just in case i get mine this year
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:26 am

I would cut the breasts off and the other bigger pieces of meat. Cut them all thinner and about the size of a typical hamburger patty. Wrap those chunks in bacon and onion slices then bake in a dripper type pan. Two keys here are not to overcook and the other would be to soak them in strong salt water the night before you cook them, preferably in the fridge. Smaller chunks in the crock pot soaking in chili sauce or salsa is also very good.---Wish I had a tag you lucky suckers! By the way, the gray young ones are quite good, the older ones are tough and strong tasting.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting