early migration

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

early migration

Postby green head2 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:20 am

Have any of yall noticed alot of ducks and geese latley Seems like to me there are alot more geese in my fields this year Than there was at this same time last year And alot of ducks are on the river and flying over my house more also than I remember in previous years Im just wondering if you guys have noticed more And if the weather in canada has changed drasticaly in the last few weeks mabey moving them south early Yesterday we counted over 200 geese in one field And it has not even been chopped yet And its feeder corn Which means its not the good stuff you get at the store its for cattle Mabey Im just duck crazy And cant wait for the season to start And it just seems like more
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:06 am

I am afraid I have not had the chance to get out, but I did hear some of the duck club guys saying they thought they had some double clutches. If that is true that should add to the numbers.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:29 am

Lets hope that is the reason bret I was talking to my wife last night And she was saying the same thing That while she was out running she noticed alot of young ducks later than usual this summer And that the birds in our fields last night looked to be smaller and younger to her Mabey she should hunt more She seems to pay attention to them more than me :smile: I was just worried that our hunt might be over before it even got started There are alot of birds at home right now 46 more days to go And then there will be a few of them missing :getdown: :cool:
green head2
hunter

Postby firebird » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:42 am

There are a couple documentable reasons for what you are seeing. First the geese are just starting to check the fields for edible sources of fat they need to prepare for migration. They babies all can fly and they are joining up with other family groups as they leave the marshes where they were born. Ducks and other large birds seldom double clutch. They use too much body resource to sit on a brood, raise it then start over, plus the drakes are moulting and sperm production is no longer a priority. Often what you are noticing are hens who lost their first nests and started over, they hatch later than successful hens. Hens who nest and succeed early often have flying chicks by now, compared to say hens that nest later on mtn. reservoirs and still have chicks in fuzz. Teal will start to migrate soon and the local birds will begin to leave when hunting pressure increases, then we sit and wait for northern replacements. The doves should be thickening up in the grainfields by now as they prepare to migrate, and doves can double and triple clutch, they are smaller and spend less time raising babies, babies mature faster etc.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 pm

And I thought you were just a regular Firebird....no no no you need to change your name to" Trans Am". :salude:

Thanks for the info.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:42 pm

We did have alot flooding down here this year So mabey they did loose their first clutch and started over It just seems like there are alot of birds around earlier this year Thanks
green head2
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:53 am

Need to amend my statement-Just read in DU magazine that there are wood ducks in the South that because of warm, long growing seasons actually pull off a double clutch. DU did confirm that they are the only waterfowl that can accomplish the task.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting