Duck Hunting

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Duck Hunting

Postby Benjo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:33 pm

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for places to hunt ducks and geese in the upcoming season? Public areas, private clubs, maek recommendations please !!!!
Benjo
Newb

Postby green head2 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Where do you live If up north then there are about as many places As there will be pepole
Just go to your local 7-11 And wait for a guy in camo to come in then follow him He will show you the way And if your sneaky you can even hunt off of his dekes And he may let you use his dog :toofunny:
Really there are alot of places to hunt ducks finding a place is not hard
The hard thing is finding a spot that there is nobody around or very few pepole
And I doubt that anybody is going to tell you where that spot is
Just start scouting
Here are a few of my favorite spots Farmington bay Bear river refuge public shooting grounds just to name a few These are highly protected secret areas Dont tell anyone or it will be packed on the opening day And skybusters will ruin it for you :laughing: :laughing:
Do you have a boat or a reliable dog Should I ask ummm waders
Im just having fun The places I mentioned will be crowded as all fill in blank I dont hunt hardley ever up north or live there
Thank God So there may be a few spots around But it is going to be up to you to find them Good luck figured I would at least ansewer you since nobody else had Just start scouting now And mabey list some of the equipment you have So we can give you some better places Also wecome to the site the guys here are real friendly And helpful There are a couple that seem to be friends with eachother And beat eachother up But I dont blame them One cant shoot and the other one shoots coots to fill his bag limit I think thats how the story went good luck yall
green head2
hunter

duck hunting

Postby Benjo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info green head 2. I live in the Snyderville basin near Park City. Will most likely be hunting in the north. Also have a damn good dog and all of the other gear needed to get out and honk and quack with our feathered friends. I usually hunt on foot or out of my canoe.
Benjo
Newb

Postby green head2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:34 pm

Im not so sure I was alot of help But your welcome Just try to find a place far as possiable from the main dikes And see what happens Good luck :salude:
green head2
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Benjo,

I don't hunt up north nearly as much as I used to, but here are a few suggestions.

Farmington Bay - can be a real zoo, but it has a lot of birds too. With a canoe I'd concentrate on unit 2 and the south end of the refuge. I'd also look more for mid-week hunts.

Public - Hull lake gets the pressure and boats. Look at the west ends of Pintail and Widgeon units.

Bear River - Can be good too, and again here your canoe may get you into places mud boats can't get into.

I don't know as much about Harold Crane, Howards Slough or Ogden Bay, but I bet with some scouting you could manage a few birds.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby FlatCoat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:16 pm

If you go to farmington stay off the east run dike, the "yuppies" seem to like it and skyblasting is the special of the day,

no kidding last thanksgiving day we watched as a duck no less than 100 yds up took over 50 shots, the following ducks only got higher, in 20 minutes we counted more than 10 boxes of shells fired and duck that were 2x out of range, howard slough is about the same on the mid dike, and the outer dikes still have little cover
FlatCoat
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting