Youth day call to Dog Owners

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Is the youth hunt benificial

Poll ended at Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm

yes
88%
no
13%
undecided
No votes

Total votes : 8

Youth day call to Dog Owners

Postby FlatCoat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Youth day: (definition) 1 day set aside for youth hunters to age 15 for the purpose of older hunters to be able to teach how to "hunt properly" and to "follow the rules" and basically to be a good hunter and sportsman, so far on youth day I have seen the following

2004 my dogs retrieved 10 to 12 birds from deep water ( thus teaching young hunters its okay not to worry about retrieval)
2003 dogs retrieved 20 + birds from deep cover (thus teaching young hunters its okay not to look very hard)
2002 goose dropped 15 minutes before shooting (fortunately it almost hit the hood of a dwr law enforcement truck) to quote the ranger " what are the odds 300 + miles of dike at ogden bay and the goose shot early lands 10 feet in front of the truck)
2001 I collect 11 boxes of 20 gauge hulls for reloading from a boat with 3 youth hunters who had lots of shooting, (p.s. 1 duck for 275 shots) and my dogs chased it down for them

My call goes to dog owners "PLEASE TAKE YOUR DOGS OUT AND RETRIEVE THE BIRDS THAT WOULD BE WASTED"

besides it will take the edge off the dogs and get some real time trainging refresher in.
FlatCoat
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:29 pm

i plan on lending out my dogs swimming and retrieving for some lad. i understand your position and as a hunter ed instructor i would be heart broke to see them birds go to waste. so youll see me out there with my hunter ed patch on the vest. yes it will say hunter ed instructor. if you need my help just ask ...........this goes out to anyone that may not have a dog already. well send him till he gets tired.
:cool:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Great

Postby FlatCoat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:46 pm

Im so glad to hear it, I see so many dog owners that miss a great opportunity to train as well as explain a little to young hunters that you have to think about the retrieve not just the kill.

besides it real fun to watch the mass of ducks that gets up that first morning, and I May sound negative but I do believe the youth hunt can only be successful if experienced hunters and dog handlers as well as parents get involved,

a positive note I missed was: Not a single Parent or gaurdian has told me to get lost, most that need the help of a dog are fascinated by watching dogs retrieve and perhaps turns then into a dog owner as well, and im with you I will let my dogs retrieve anything for anyone, because it hurts more to see waste than it does to watch the dogs retrieve for someone who is not paying attention
FlatCoat
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:16 am

:pissed: for the most part, the youth hunt day was really fun, was able to assist 3 people with retrieves and finding ducks. but, but, those adults out there whom think they dont have to wait till the designated time remember this, if i see you not abiding by the rules i will be more than happy to bring up charges. by teaching your kid to shoot at 735 instead of waiting till 800 are the most irresponsible parents out there, i hope those of tirds out at farmington that did shoot early i hope you got fined and lose your privilages. those on the main dike they not only acted like profesionals but waited for the time, as well as picked up after themselves. this brings one more piss and moan to mind, those people who cant pick up your garbage dont go hunting anymore, your mother doesnt follow you around.............. my hats off to the kids well done.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby FlatCoat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:57 pm

I agree the youth hunt went pretty well, I did not make it out until the afternoon, (howard slough), the kids had fun, saw a couple of things that I hope will improve with time, parents teach your kids that a shotgun does not have a 200 yard range, and give your kids a copy of ducks at a distance http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... ckdist.htm
my biggest complaint is most of the adults could not identify the birds let alone the kids, but then again maybe mistaking gads for hen mallards is not so bad :laughing: perhaps it will save a few more hen mallards, but not being able to identify hen pintails is a real issue, and I totally agree about the garbage (pack it in, PACK IT OUT!!! THIS INCLUDES YOUR SHELLS, AND BOXES)
FlatCoat
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting