youth hunt

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

youth hunt

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:17 am

Well the decoys are clean the batteries charged the dry box packed and the blind bag as well. The corks in the duck calls have been replaced, They are tuned and ready to make noise. All for two lucky thirteen year olds that get to open the season a week early, and one lucky thirtyfive year old that gets to share a blind with them.
I have been on this hunt every year since they started it. It has become my favorite hunt of the year. I have killed many many ducks in my life, but to watch the young fellas getting there first birds and learning to do it right tops all I have done in waterfowling. I can not wait to work the first birds into their gun range.

Those that nay say the youth hunt do not have the proper perspective on this game we play. The upcoming generations are more important to our sport than some will ever know. Without them we will see hunting outlawed in our life times. I hope everyone has some kids to take those that don't I hope to be able to work something out for next year to get you hooked up with some.

Whos ready and headed out this weekend? :getdown: :getdown:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:18 pm

Gonna run out and see if my daughter can't bag her first bird. She wiffed last year, but our youth hunt was poor, she only had 7 shots. Hopefully we'll see more birds and she'll shoot a bit better (been practicing on clays and rabbits this summer).

Carp has about 4-5 kids clammering to go with him. I think they've heard he attracts ducks line a skunk does flies. Even better, I don't think the kids will realize that the birds are sawbills, so they won't be too disappointed :toofunny: :thumbsup:
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby carp » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:38 pm

Can I help if Im a puriest :mrgreen:
carp
hunter

Postby FlatCoat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:07 pm

:thumbsup:
Yes, Im not going with hunters but definately headed for the dog training opportunitys, good luck to the young-uns, and better luck to those with the chance to teach hunters (young and old) a bit about being a sportsperson

Watching the kids reminds me of what I love about our sport, Im almost jealous the feeling of the first bird going down is better than christmas :)

be safe be happy and have fun!!!!
FlatCoat
hunter

Postby BP » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:27 pm

I'm ready. :getdown: I think i'm ready. :smile: NOPE I'M NOT READY!! :pissed: .........oh well, me and the boys are still going!!! :getdown: :getdown: :thumbsup:
Everyone has quark about them, mines hunting!!
BP
hunter

Postby honer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 am

i called carp's house last night but he was still at work. devan told me he couldn't hunt the youth hunt, so i am wondering who carp's going out with?
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:16 am

I just wish I knew a kid to take :thumbsdown: My daughter wont be old enough to until next year If anybody is from my area And needs a boat and dogs PM me I hate hearing those guns bang from my house watching ducks fall And trying to get my wife to adopt a kid that is old enough :toofunny: Next year I will probably have more kids than I can handel My daughters friends Mostly boys :help: Have been over alot helping in their own way in building my boat Begging to take them this year with me They make me laugh hearing them argue over who is going first
green head2
hunter

Postby carp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:50 am

Honer, I did have about 4 kids going with me but Im down to two. Devin sort of got on his mothers bad side :eek:
carp
hunter

Postby honer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:20 pm

his timing is the worst of anyone i know. i don't think i know anyone who loves hunting more, but gets to hunt less. who are the two kids you are taking? are they old 2nd warders that i would know or are they people i am yet to be acquainted with.
honer
State Moderator

Postby carp » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:20 am

Honer, Little Cody across the street from me is for sure but I think Kiefer has football.
carp
hunter

Postby honer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:38 am

dan, you are a good man. i hope you guys do well. give me a call next week and let me know how you did and what your plans are for the opener. plus i would always like to hear what danny is up too. talk to you later.
honer
State Moderator

Postby carp » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:40 pm

I dont know about being good or not, :mrgreen: I just like being out there. The youth hunt is a ball :getdown:

Danny is doing pretty good. He called last night and asked how we did on are bow hunt. He does miss hunting. Of course he said he does get to shoot a rifle :mrgreen:
carp
hunter

Postby BP » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Well this was the first year for me to be able to take my oldest son out for his first youth duck hunt, so I decided to take a friend of mines advice and followed him out to the marsh, because he had a spot he thought would work out great for us, and it would keep us some-what close together,( he already had two young hunters and their dads). so we headed out at about 3 am. Saturday morning, got the boats loaded up with decoys and kids, and started out, it took about 5 minutes to figure out my motor wasn't going to work, so we started paddleing to keep up with my friend. :pissed: Well, because of the motor/paddleing thing we arrived too late and missed out on the spot he had picked out for us, it was taken!! :pissed: So we searched for another place in the dark, and I really think we did okay under the circumstances, our biggest mistake was setting up next to what I consider a champion caller. :help: It was amazing to watch the ducks just funnel right into his calling and decoys!! :help: We had plenty of shot opportunites, and we ended up with two ducks, a drake mallard and a green-wing teal that decoyed right in, and the boy made excellant shots on them!! :cool: It's hard to be next to an excellant caller and a bunch of decoys, and to be a crappy caller with a few decoys, most ducks didn't even give us a look!! :mrgreen: All kidding aside, Thanks Bret!! I want to thank you for helping me and my son out so much!! It was really great of you!!! :salude: I already can't wait until next year, I'll have both boys hunting!!!!! :yes:

P.S. I wish I could explain the pride and joy that I felt when my son dropped that first duck into the decoys, it was amazing!!! :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting