How do you handle.....?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

How do you handle.....?

Postby duckaddict » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:07 am

I have a couple questions for everybody. I would like to get your input on how to handle these situations. I have been duck hunting for quite a while and there are two things that annoy me more than anything in the world when I am hunting on public ground. The first most annoying thing to me is when somebody thinks they are above the law and decides they don't have to follow it. Just a quick example, a shot fired a half an hour early on opening morning. If the person next to you breaks a law do you yell at him? Do you ignore it? What do you do?

The second most annoying thing that happens to me on public ground deals with my claim to fame on the right hunting spot. I get up early and try to get the spot I want, not only on the opener but throughout the season. I track where birds are flying and scout areas to hunt the next week. Sometimes people beat me to my spot. I try and be curtious and find somewhere else to hunt, at least where I am not too close for comfort. I really don't mind if someone sets up right next to me as long as that person knows what they are doing. A little competition on calling or working birds is like a good football game to me, adds a little spice! My problem occurs when someone sets up next to me and then shoots at working birds at incredible heights. Or they can't control their dog who is always out in the water or wandering over to where I'm at. The same question applies here, how do you handle these situations? I like to think I am patient, but sometimes guys are ridiculous.
duckaddict
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:35 am

I have a hot temper And it has got me in more trouble over the years than I can count Skybusters fear me If someone shoots early I usually just stay quite Or yell out what time leagle shooting time is You would be suprised how many guys dont honestly know If they shoot 5 or 10 min early I really dont care so many pepole set their watches ahead so they are never late then forget As far as somebody being in my spot before I get there Well I dont own the ground So I just tease them wish them bad luck just having fun with them If sombody sets up next to me i dont really care unless they did not bring their own dekes then i have a huge problem I carried out all my gear paid alot of money for it I dont mind borrowing things out but if I bust my but And you come empty handed Get ready for me to belittle you and talk bad about your mom And guys with dogs that run free is probably my biggest complaint to If you cant control your dog leave him home 2 yrs ago I had to pay a lawyer and go to court for my chessie kicking the rear of a chcolate lab The guys dog kept coming over growling at my dog I would tell him get his dog over and over And I would say a few other things too The dog would not fetch birds ran all over the place I knew his name because that is all you heard all afternoon Well the last time he came over I pushed him away The dog And after the 2nd or third time I stood up and yelled at it The dog showed his teeth and growled And my dog had seen enough Before it was over his dog had a torn hip missing one eye And stiches from his bottom lip to his ear the guy thought about shooting my dog until he met my little brothers right hand Luckly we had witnesses all over the lake and we won the case I could not believe I was going to court for this guys irresponsiable behavor and his dog He tried to sue my brother claming he missed work and could not see and had ringing in his ears My brother is the laid back quite one So now If Im in that situation I will just leave Its not worth it for a duck
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:44 pm

i think it is a good thing that i usually hunt areas that have very few people in them as i tend to burn a little bit hot. if poeple do stupid stuff, i usually try to ignore it, but if they do things (illegal things) that are taking birds away from me........ie shooting early or late, i get madder then a stepped on hornet. as far as how to handle the situation, i can't give an answer without embarrasing myself so i guess i don't have a good answer.
honer
State Moderator

Postby w1!dbill » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:23 pm

Good questions!

Those are tough, but too frequently encountered problems in public areas. Any confrontation where everyone's carrying a loaded shotgun has the potential to turn very sour. There's no perfect way to handle these situations. I tend to be a bit of a hothead myself, so I can give plenty of examples of how "not" to handle them, but I won't since I don't know if the statute of limitations has expired :smile: . I have had a couple of occasions (now that I'm older and know what tact is) where I've talked to people and the majority of them don't know any better! I know I tend to assume that everyone was taught to duck hunt with the same kind of ethics and morales that I received from my dad, but that's not the case. Heck, I stop calling as soon as ducks look like they're interested in someone else's set-up! As with most things in life, communication is key. During one hunt in Wyoming, I was being pestered by a chessie pup. His owner was set up on the other side of the cattails from me and about every 5 minutes his dog would come over, try to jump up on me and make a trip through my dekes. After about 3 visits, I walked over and complimented him on what a good-looking dog he had, then asked if he wanted to borrow a leash to control him better. He didn't know his dog was bugging me, just knew he was slipping away through the reeds once in a while. We talked for a while and I discovered he was a first year hunter who had struck out on his own with no guidance. He was "winging it" with training his dog. I gave him, what I hope, was some good advice and he kept his dog under control after that. I ran into him several other times in the same area and we always had a nice chat. I am a realist and know that sometimes there are folks out there that don't care. They don't care if you got up at 2:00 in the morning to get the good spot, they'll just set up right on top of you and hope to force you to move. They're competitive...they'll sky bust ducks rather than watch them work your decoys. They'll let their dog run wild because "by God I paid 500 dollars for him". Those are the folks who need to meet green head2's little brother's right hand. It's our job to police our own and educate those who don't know. Depending on the situation, it might be worth giving communication a try, but definitely use your noggin to pick your "battles".

Just my two cents...
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:58 pm

I like to joke and tease And I have found as i have gotten older If you can make sombody laugh at themselves As well as get your point across Or at your jokes they are more cooprative If someone is in my spot And its one or two guys usually after BS with them I have been invited to hunt with them And I have also invited many pepole to hunt with me I have made alot of friends this way There really are a small number of jerks out there And they screw it up for everybody Most guys that hunt get along I have had alot more good times hunting than bad And that is why we still do it Like w1!dbill said pick your battles if there are 5 guys And Im alone guess who is staying quite or leaving something else I have learned as I have gotten older is a fat lip hurts worse and takes longer to heal than it used to
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:26 pm

most of the time I invite them to join me or hope they invite me. I would rather hunt with someone than compete against them.I don't know it is an unfortunate situation, and one I try to avoid, but I have also made some good freinds this way. If they were there first I will just go someplace else or something. If I was there first hopefully it does not come down to competing but if I have to I will call very agressive and keep the birds in my area away from them the best I can so they don't have a chance to sky-bust, and try to finish them as quickly as possible. It can work as long as the other guys are not very good callers and they are not bad enough callers to scare the birds off.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:51 pm

DA, your problems are not unique to UT, but are unfortunenately are widespread legit gripes by many others too.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Utah Duck Hunting