help with my black lab

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

help with my black lab

Postby itsalunker » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:16 pm

Is it common for labs eyes to get irritated while outin the marsh ? My pup's eyes get so red and watery that she can't even keep them open. It takes about 4 hours for them to get that way and about 3 days to get back to normal. Any help thanks.
itsalunker
Newb

Postby Spiraleyes » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, hope she's ok. What areas do you hunt? Does this happen in different areas, or just one in particular? How many times has this happened?
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Bret » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:26 am

sometimes that happens to my dogs if they are looking for downed birds in alkalli bullrush.

what I think you have ....

There is a weed out there that I do not know the name of. It looks like a little black flower when it touches something it has like tiny spring loaded fork shaped burs that stick in your neoprene waders, levis, dogs coat, and even their eyes. The bad thing about it is the burs are barbed.if they get in the eyes the tiny prongs of the "fork" break off causing some real eye problems. My vet called it "micro-bur" but i think that is a name he made up. they can get it out no problem....they see it all the time.
sometimes they will work themselves out, but they can cause perminent damage if left in.
some dogs seem to be more prone to it than others.

good luck

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby itsalunker » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:09 pm

We have been going to area 4 between the dike and the airboat ramp. That is the only place i have taken her. We just got back from there again and it seems that her right eye is starting to get red and starting to close. It is the first time i have had her out since thursday. Ican't see anything in her eyes.
Maybe i will try some other place if i am not at the vet. Any suggestions for around ogden. The only place i have scouted has bee ogden bay. There wasn't very many birds flying today out there. thanks.
itsalunker
Newb

Postby UtahSprig » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:03 am

My old yellow female lab would get all puffy eyed at Farmington Bay early in the year. Once she got so badly swollen I rushed her to the vet. Turned out to be allergies and she would rub her eyes so bad they would swell. Once it got cold and wet we were fine, but the first couple of weeks out were tough on her. My vet gave me some ointment I'd put in the corners of her eyes before and after a hunt that really helped. For the swelling he had me use benedryl I believe (been quite a few years ago).
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby DON'T MOVE! » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:58 am

Utah Sprig, the guys hit the nail right on the head here. I am a technician at a Vet here in Layton and it is one of two things. Allergies, or these weeds that they are telling you about. The weeds are a beast. Typically you don't see them unless usuing magnification and sometimes sedation. We have quite a few dogs brought in to us every year. Some years are worse than others. I bring you lab in or have you vet check her out. Eyes are a precious thing. We have even had some clients go as far as to make goggles for their dogs.

Allergies can be frustrating as well. One thing to remember with them is that you can never cure allergies. You can only treat and manage their symptoms-which we can do quite effectivly. Under the direction of your vet, you can treat some cases with over the counter medicines like Benadryl and Clariton or you may have to go far as to use non steriodal anti inflamitories or cortazones. You vet will know what to do.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Jake
DON'T MOVE!
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting