If you could only have one...

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

If you could only have one...

Postby w1!dbill » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:35 pm

Here's the next installment in my on-going series of conversation starters. I'm sure this one will draw Bret out big-time :smile:

If you could only have one duck call to take to the marsh, which one would it be?

Easy one for me. The old, old, single-reed, black plastic Olt that used to be my Dad's. It's not the best sounding call I have, but it works and it means something to me. Someday my son will own it.

You?

I do have an ulterior motive with this one. I'll be using your responses to help me decide on my next call purchase :getdown:
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby duckaddict » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:13 pm

If I were to have just one of my calls it would have to be my RNT MVP. It has to be the most versatile call I own. I don't think I am capable of even using 1/4 of its' ranges and possibilities. It has great sound and is LOUD!!!

On Monday we didn't have anybody near us to scare the ducks so I was blowing my heart out and turned some heads and worked some birds that ususally I don't even bother with. Great range and works well for birds close up too.
duckaddict
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:08 pm

I'm pretty new to the calling world, I'm frankly, I'm not that good. I have a RNT original, but the call I use most is a whistle call. It'll bring the teal and pintails in real quick, as well as a few mallards and gaddies. They're incredibly easy to use, and they don't seem to intimidate the ducks like some of the louder calls can, especially later in the year after the ducks have been called at for months.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby honer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:26 pm

i blow an rnt timbre and love love love it. i'm rarely on big water so the fact that it is kind of quiet actually drew me to it. my hunting buddy blows an rnt daisy cutter and it is nice too. his is wood mine is acrylic i bought mine at sportsmans for $142.00, and he bought his new off ebay for $65.00. good luck with what ever you choose. :thumbsup:
honer
State Moderator

Postby firebird » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:55 pm

I have 4 or 5 semi-expensive calls around the house for decorations, but the calls I use the most are the cheapest ones I own. The SureShot 605 mallard, black and I think plastic, not even acrylic! Has brought lots of ducks overhead. The other is a Haydels clear acrylic, blows easy and has a hole to change pitch. I don't claim to be a serious duck call guy, but those mellow cheap calls are still around because they still work...
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:41 am

I would really like to have two at least. :toofunny:
If I can only take one call to the blind.........

dang this is hard........

I would want a call that can do everything including blast out a ringing hail call. I don't use that much but when you need it on stormy windy days on big water I would not leave home without it. The delema is I also want a call that will squeal easily on the bottom, and have thunder duck built in for getting on them when you need to do that. It is also nice to be able to sweeten the thing up for finishing when that needs done on blue days. It is hard to find all that in one call.
so I think I would give alittle on the bottom end stuff and a little on the top have a mid volume call like a Betts open water, or I have a haydels "Smokin Suzie" that is pretty versital. I think there are many good choices. I think I would have one of those with me. If I know what kind of environment I know it is going to be blue and calm or in a situation where a quet to medium loud call is nessisary I want a Rowdy DOA Double trouble. I love that call for most situations that is all I need. calling situations I am in. If I know I am hunting in a blizzard or 40 mile an hour winds give me and Xtreme, a Boss, or an MVP volume would be evrything in that situation. If they can't hear it they can't respond to it.

I still am struggling with this. I might change my mind later.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby w1!dbill » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:24 am

Anybody other than Spiraleyes have any experience with a whistle? I don't know how many times I've stood in a store and gone back and forth with myself over whether to get one or not. I know the first time I watched a "Duck Commander" video, they used them very effectively.

This has been some really great info. I kind of suspect that if one of us had discovered a call that would do it all, we would've been "taken out" by covert operatives hired by a collective group of duck call manufacturers. I'm telling you, you don't want to get on the wrong side of those RNT boys. :smile:

Bret...wasn't trying to make you pop an aneurysm :smile: You can take as many calls to the marsh as you can carry!

Thunder Duck :laughing: I'm going to have to work that into a conversation somehow...
w1!dbill
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:56 am

whew....Scared me for a minute I thought it was another new law like you can only have ten shells or something.

Whistles work great I have many and use them often sometimes mixed in with my mallard call sometimes the wistle just gets better response than a mallard call.
I have an old olt slide whistle that I have been really fond of for many years, but it smells like vomit now so blowing the thing takes more guts than I often have now ....... so I tried some of the buck Gardner type whistles and they are ok I just was used to something a little different. I am blowing this year a Rowdy DOA X whistle it is a pretty nice little whistle espessially for the money. The wingsetters are cool too. No matter what you choose it will work fine, and they are all fairly easy to use. I would not spend more than $8 or something on one though.

Good luck.

does anyone have an asprin?
Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:46 am

I'd take my Gaston open water call. I don't need to reach out too often and call at a distance, but it happens enough I want a call that can do it.

I will say though that a whistle is key too, and I'd be hard pressed to be in the marsh without one. For mallards a regular call is great. But for widgeon, teal, pintails and gadwall a whistle really seems to be the key.
UtahSprig
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 pm

I like those Gaston openwaters too. Very versitile.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:20 pm

The whistle I carry is a Haydel. Here is a link to it at cabela's
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Return to Utah Duck Hunting