Electric trolling motor on a duck boat

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Electric trolling motor on a duck boat

Postby itsalunker » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:49 pm

I had a 12 foot flat bottom boat gave to me , at this time a mud motor just is not going to happen. Will an electric trolling motor work for ogden bay, the crane and howard slough. I have a 40 lb trust transom mount. Any help? Thanks
itsalunker
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 pm

I rarley hunt up there So I dont know the terrain But we have some very shallow muddy really muddy ponds down here And my buddy also uses a electric motor on it with the same size boat you have Its real slow going And with all those dekes and stuff for weight it does not take long to burn the battery if he trys getting any speed out of it But it works And it beats carrying all that stuff on your back I dont know if this helps Good luck
green head2
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:28 am

I have hunted an eletric motor on a flat back canoe most of my life like Greenhead said It is slow but better than walking, and almost silent that is the part I like. I love hunting out of a canoe. So much so that I have been trying to find a mud motor small enough to put on it. That way on those hot early season days we could waterski in the afternoon. :eek: :yes:

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 am

Bret wrote:I have hunted an eletric motor on a flat back canoe most of my life like Greenhead said It is slow but better than walking, and almost silent that is the part I like. I love hunting out of a canoe. So much so that I have been trying to find a mud motor small enough to put on it. That way on those hot early season days we could waterski in the afternoon. :eek: :yes:

Bret

ive noticed a few canoe hunters, and here i have thought that a flat bottome was the only way to go. but i think i am starting to see the attraction to the smaller items. not totally sold yet. but still watching and asking questions. :cool:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby UtahSprig » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:02 pm

Slow, but as the others have said it beats walking in with your gear on your back. I like the light weight of the trolling motor, but the battery life and weight of the battery are the downside. I've been looking at the 5HP Briggs motors and the Honda 2 HP outboards. Both are 4 strokes and air cooled so you don't have to worry about getting crud in the water pump :thumbsup: . The Briggs is a bit over 50lbs and the Honda is a bit over 20lbs. Neither will scream, but I bet on a canoe you could make 4-8MPH with one. I think the Honda and a canoe would be the ultimate lightweight marsh rig. You wouldn't win any races, but you could car top that thing into places that don't have a boat launch and do really well.
UtahSprig
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting