2nd gun in the field????

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

2nd gun in the field????

Postby honer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:15 pm

i bought a remington 1100 with a 30" fixed full choke barrel about 3 years ago at a pawn shop. the gun has been great for what i have used it for (doves and clay pigeons) it has always kicked out whatever load has been cycled through it no matter how light. so, i wanted to convert it over to a duck gun this year. i bought a new factory barrel off ebay. it is 26" and has rem chokes for it. i want to take this gun out on saturday and see how it performs, but i would also like to have a my old reliable with me as well in case of problems. my question to you all is whether or not it is legal to have more then one gun with you out in the field, or if i have to keep one of them back in the truck. if it is alright are you only allowed to have one gun loaded at a time. any knowlege that you guys could impart on the matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:07 pm

Back in the old days i used to carry a 10 and 12 gauge One for geese and one for ducks I was checked a couple of times And nothing was ever said Who knows nowdays But Im willing to bet if you explained to them why You would be fine I really cant see them giving you a ticket for it you cant shoot both at the same time And as long as both only had three shells what could they do I would just go and try it I cant imagine there being some law against it I cant find any in the proc I will try and talk to my fish cop buddy at home in the morning and see what he has to say and let you know
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:13 pm

hey green head, thanks for letting me know. and yeah if you could ask your fish cop buddy, that would be great. it would be nice to have an official word on it. good luck this weekend at your personal club!!! :thumbsup:
honer
State Moderator

Postby honer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:12 pm

i called the dwr this morning and here is the official word: the receptionist told me she didn't think it was ok but transfered me to the law enforcment department for a definative answer. at the law enforcment department no one was in yet that early so i was transfered to the hunters education department. there the gentleman (i didn't get his name) told me it is ok to have more then one shotgun in the blind as long as both guns are plugged to hold no more then two shells in their magazines. he told me both guns could even be loaded but didn't recommend it for safety purposes. then later on this morning i got a return phone call from the law enforcment department as i had left a message there also. i ran the scenario by this guy as well to get a second opinion on the matter. i did get the feller's name this time too. mike fox with the law enforcment department of the utah dwr told me the same thing the prior gentleman had. 2 guns are ok. they can both even be loaded. my question is answered and hopefully i will have some pictures tomorrow from a great hunt with both of my guns!!
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:24 pm

That is what my buddy who is the fish cop And the sherriff who was there with me this morning both said the same thing And that the way I shoot the more the better according to them :eek: :help: Wait until they find out broke the axel on my boat trailer after they left me to pick up the dekes Im sure they will have lots of jokes then
green head2
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting