down in southern vermont

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

down in southern vermont

Postby goldeneye13 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Looking for new areas to hunt this year. I was wondering how strong was the hunting pressure in lower Otter creek management area and the lower Otter creek. Do you guys down south have a lot of hunter on opening weekend! Do you see most teal or bigger ducks. In the bays and the slough do you get any geese shooting over the water or is the field hunting better. I take any tips you guys down south can give me!!!!

Thanks
Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Re: down in southern vermont

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 am

Fred, not sure how far south you are looking to hunt but we get teal woodies and mallards and some blacks on the beaver ponds and the creek,I am in Rutland area and hammer geese in cut corn fields and alfalfa fields,but we have some good shooting down here,and it is alot of puddle duck hunting,and secluded beaver ponds,and flooded pastures off otter creek area! Drainage ditches in and along creek flows! Have not done much hunting off of the lake (Champlain) but plan on it this year!Geese were getting pounded on east creek where it spills into the lake,we were set up north of there by Larabees piont and had geese hitting our field but the guys below us on the creeks mouth were getting alot more action down there!here are a couple of pics so you can see what I am talking about!

Larabees Piont

Beaver ponds

this is my take on southern hunting,had a great time and shot alot of ducks and geese last year,plan on hammering them alot harder this year!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm

I was looking in the area of Lower Otter Creek and Little Otter creek because it's public hunting lands. The beaver dams that you hunt are on public or private land? I just wouldn't like to drive 2h00 to get in some areas has crowded has what I've seen at the Mississiquoi Refuge here in Swanton. A lot of the hunter's we have here up North hunt until the opening of deer season!!!! From what I saw after a few trip in the addisson County area there's a lot of potentiel!!! Just wondering what's the pressure on those birds like?

Fred
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby Champney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

last season I had a blind on little otter and was there around 2:30am and the parking lot was already full. I think any WMA is going to be very crowded so my advice is to get to the spot you want to extremely early(before 3) if you want a good spot. I ended up with 3 teal 3 woodies by 8am. I think it gets worser as you get north of VT.
Champney
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:01 am

Do not hunt in any of those areas for ducks,so do not know what type of pressure is up there,but from what I have been told it is a stiff compitition for spots and you need to be there like crazy early,my buddy hunts up north around Addison and he is on the lake at 2am sitting in his blind or wherever he plans too hunt,because there are alot of people trying to hit alot of the same spots!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Does it get less crowded by mid nov when deer season opens like in northern VT.... You see lots of hunter in the opener week and in the second opening but by deer season... You have the lake to you're self. Is it the same down by Addisson? Thanks guys for all you're advise. I hope I'll get to see you guys on the lake.

Fred....
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby duk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Hello
I am in the Manchester area and want to get some late season hunting in.
I am new to the sport and I did hit the barn door at one time ! (all the other times I missed.)
I was thinking of otter creak or other Lake Champlain tribs . I like to use a guide the first time out any one know of any.
Mike
duk
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting