Connecticut River Zone

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Connecticut River Zone

Postby pdub » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 pm

I've never hunted the Connecticut river zone, but would like to go this year. I've read all I can on this site and others about it, but am still unsure where I should go. From google earth, it looks like Comerford dam area or Moore dam might be a good place to start. We are also looking at Wilder Waterfowl management area. We are in a 14 ft flatbottom. I also noticed a few ponds in the area and was wondering if it would be worth it to bring my canoe. Thanks for any info.
pdub
hunter

Re: Connecticut River Zone

Postby Vtgunner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:28 pm

Pdub, the areas you are talking are areas I have been hunting for 15 years, Wjat exactly do you want to know? Maybe we could hook up, your boat will do fine, depending where you put in.
Vtgunner
hunter

Postby pdub » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 am

Hey Gunner,

Thanks for the reply. I think my partner and I have narrowed it down to the Wilder WMA putting in at Hewes boat launch. What do you think? Again, we have no clue. I can't speak for my partner, he's the one with the boat, but I always enjoy hunting with new people. I will talk to him tonight and see if he would want to get together, I don't see why he wouldn't. Thank you for the offer. I've got a canoe and a couple of spots if you ever want to go out.
pdub
hunter

Postby Vtgunner » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Hunting on the Connecticutt can be great or it can be terrible, depending on the time of year, the weather. Sometimes we set up rigs of decoys, sometimes we jump shoot the small ponds surrounding the river, Never hunted Wilder, too far south for me, I never hunt below Bradford. I can tell you this, I have been down in the area you are talking, and seen ducks in marshes down that way on my way to White River Junction. Anywhere on the Conn River should be OK. It is its main little flyway.
Vtgunner
hunter

Postby pdub » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:40 am

I really appreciate the info Gunner! I'm thinking this year will be more of a scout year for us on the Connecticut. If we find a few ducks, all the better.
pdub
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting