Blind Day

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Blind Day

Postby HotDog » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 am

Is the first saturday in September!
As we were putting up our blind, some guy was puttering around sticking signs around us. At least he kept about 150 yards away.

According to the syllabus..."Placement of signs for purposes of claiming duck blind locations has no basis in law and is unenforceable."

So the questions I want to ask;

Do you put out signs?
Do you honor them?
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Re: Blind Day

Postby Champney » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:06 pm

I think stakes are just a lazy way of saying its your spot. I'm planning on building 4 blinds this year. I already have completed one in little otter. I know a guy that hates the signs so much he just pulls them out. I think its really stupid when somebody puts up a sign every 50 yards for about 4 stakes and never hunts there.
Champney
hunter

Postby snogoose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Right on "Champney!"...4 blinds? don't you have a job???
snogoose
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:57 am

Let me just make one comment on that....

1st, I feel the same way about just sticking stakes in the ground, BUT you should be careful about just yanking them out as well. Down on Dead Creek there is a guy that takes out another guy that is handicapped. He has an area set up where he can just pull his boat in and there is no real blind set there just a stake and maybe a little brush. I have the utmost respect for these two hunters as i have watched them many times struggle to get the boat out of the pick-up get the handicapped guy into the boat , set out the dekes etc. and then come back in and go through the same struggle in reverse. I have offered to assist them but they have always said, thanks but we are good. The guy that does all the work to take the handicapped guy out deserves a HUGE pat on the back as he is not a young man and you can tell there is a real friendship between them. I wish I had a buddy like that!!! So be careful of just pulling stakes out of the ground before you see what is going on around you.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:31 am

I know some guys that hunt from a boat and they will stake a sign. They also put in some posts to tie the boat to, and some brush. When they are done it looks like something is there.
We'll see if this guy makes any improvements by October. If not, I have to wonder if he isn't trying to keep a large buffer zone around his spot.

Champney...Four blinds! Where do you find the time and energy?
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I work part-time mowing laws now so I get alot of time to play around with blinds. I just build the platforms at home and then when i get out there all i have to do it drive in the posts and make the walls. I usually don't grass them until a week before opener. There only two person small types of blinds so they don't stick out easily. i rather stand up to shoot than lay down anyways.
I hunt out a sneak boats with my hunting partners until last day in December and never had a problem with floating away. we usually pull the boat into the weeds. I think hunting out of a boat should be a fist come first serve thing like goose hunting.
Champney
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 am

Where I hunt on opening day, two of us have put out a stake in the same spots for a few years in a row. I think it helps lower any conflicts that might come up on opening morning. Who wants to deal with that? Having said that, I wish F&W would pass a law and make the whole practice illegal. Hunting on public property should be first come first served and we should all respect other hunters enough to give each other a nice wide berth. If I'm so lazy that I can't get out on opening morning until right before shooting hours, I deserve a crappy spot to hunt.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby pdub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm

A guy last year puts up 2 metal post with no stake where I normally put a shore blind. I pulled his post and built my blind. Then he destroys my blind and puts nothing back up. What a prick! There was a blind with a stake in the same spot yesterday. I'm not sure if it was him or not.
pdub
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Without a doubt you'll see every type of chananigan with the blind/sign protocol, and a lot of folks appear to use the signs inappropriately to run others out of their shooting territory. However, the signs do constitute a long standing tradition in our area and plenty of hunters use them appropriately to identify perennial blind positions.

My personal take is to respect the posted signs if they appear to be posted appropriately. If I'm interested in a particular "signed" spot but no blind is constructed as the opening day approaches, then I either contact the person named on the sign to request their intentions or just take the cue that they've abandoned their stake on the spot. So far so good and people have seemed reasonable in response to that approach.

I strongly agree that it would benefit all hunters if the state would formalize the guidelines for staking blind positions in advance of constructing the blind. It would go a long way in reducing early season tensions and aggressions!
IslandHunter
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting