Etiquette

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Etiquette

Postby pdub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 am

I was putting the finishing touches on a duck blind yesterday. It is also a good spot to pass shoot geese as they sometimes come over me at treetop level. As it neared 5pm the geese started coming in, but were too high to shoot. The guy who had been trying to decoy geese a mile or so down into the corner of the bay decides he would move right across the bay from me and set up. He was using 6 floaters and was unable to decoy anything all day. I've used as many as 18 floaters in the same spot with no luck, as these geese certainly seem to know where they want to be and are paying no attention to the decoys. I pass on a number of shots that were a bit iffy. My rule of thumb is, if you can make out the gooses eye, then you probably have a shot. I finally get a good shot and take it. I got a lot of feathers, but was unable to bring the bird down. As the geese flew off to their final destination I he yells,"You Sky busting Mother F__ker". I packed up and left not wanting any problems. Who was in the right? He knew I was pass shooting and sets up right across from me. Should I not pass shoot so that he can now TRY to decoy these geese? I had been there since 6am. I just want to do what's right.
pdub
hunter

Re: Etiquette

Postby ronvt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:31 pm

How far were the birds?
ronvt
hunter

Postby pdub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:16 pm

The trees are about 40 feet tall and I would give these geese another 20 to 30 feet above the tree tops. I'm using 3" BB 12 gauge. I've taken plenty of geese from this same locations for the last 3 years. The pictures I posted in this thread were taken at the same distance from the same spot. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=102107

My question is not whether I took a good shot or not. Even if I was being "optimistic", which I wasn't, I am asking whether or not I should stop pass shooting because someone sets up across from me, in the flight path of the birds, and wants to try to decoy geese that are headed to the X. We were by no means on those birds radar and I highly doubt that he would have gotten any of those birds to commit.
pdub
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm

I think you already know the answer your question. "We were by no means on those birds radar" . "I highly doubt that he would have gotten any of those birds to commit." If you were not on their radar then why ruin somebody elses chances. Maybe he knows something you did not. He took the effort to put out decoys and try to decoy them.

Those geese are coming back at 5 pm most likely to roost and in most cases roosting geese don't decoy and work near shore they head out into open water. I guess the resident season is the only season you stand a chance not pushing birds out of an area if you hunt the roost, but then again your time will be better off spent watching where those geese come back to the water around 10 am and then hunt them the next day right were they were. Even if you are not on the X a good spot with all the factors, wind etc you can do quiet well with some decent calling and modest spread. They are pretty stupid this time of year if you are in a spot they would like to be as evident when shooting them up and then calling them back for one more volley.
chambo32
hunter

Postby pdub » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Chambo, I don't already know the answer to my question, that's why I am asking to hopefully better educate myself. I think you misunderstood my post or I did not explain myself well. I was not hunting the roost, nor was he. Unfortunately, it's not a loaf spot either. I was pass shooting birds that were headed to the roost probably 2 miles from us out on the lake.

Why would you set up right across from someone who is pass shooting? I have to leave my pass shooting spot because someone decides to decoy near me? I certainly would never intrude on someone who was already set up, but I had been there all day. He had also been there all day in the back corner and decided to move when he noticed that the birds were flying right over me. Then he gets upset because I take my shot. I guess that in your eyes I did the right thing by leaving, I just should have done so one shot earlier. His calling was flaring the birds anyway.

I think the problem here is that pass-shooting is a dirty word as stated in an article in Cabelas and other sites.

"Today, however, just saying the word pass-shooter can get you into trouble in some places. In many locales, the phrases pass-shooter and sky-buster - Translation: A "hunter" unable to estimate distance and prone to shooting at ridiculous ranges - are used interchangeably. Pass-shooters, some say, are simply lazy, not wanting to go to the effort of scouting, putting out a decoy spread, nor learning the nuances of waterfowl vernacular. Are these criticisms deserved, or is the modern pass-shooter getting a bum rap?

http://www.cabelas.com/community-inthef ... tail.shtml

I have set up here for several years now and chose this spot because there isn't real heavy pressure, there are good numbers of ducks, I don't need a boat, and in between ducks decoying I usually have the opportunity to pass-shoot some low flying geese. I did my scouting to find these qualities. I watched where the birds were consistently flying year after year as they came from the fields and adjusted accordingly. I have to give that up because some guy in a canoe comes out of the corner after unsuccessfully trying to decoy Geese all day and sets up his 6 dekes and a portable turkey blind; leaves his canoe exposed and shining for all to see and gets pissed because I take the shot I had been waiting for all day. Again, I guess I did the right thing by leaving and let him practice his goose calling.

I've been worried about shooting this spot up too much before duck season anyway. If anything, I will catch them from the field before they get to the tree line.

Maybe, I should just swear to never pass-shoot again and get off the subject.
pdub
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting