2009 Youth Weekend

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

2009 Youth Weekend

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 am

Hi all-

The 26th will be my first youth weekend opener with my son. I've hunted around, but not in, the refuge for years.

My question is, compared to the regular opener(s), how busy is it out around the refuge? Are there only a handful of hunters participating on youth weekend?

I've been watching the birds as much as possible and it sure looks promising at this point! :beer:

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: 2009 Youth Weekend

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:15 pm

it is nothing like the regular season opener. Everyone is spread out may with the maximum usually of 5 parties in the public land (like by gander bay and martindale point.) I'm taking a youth out there and it is a blast, even if your not the one with a gun in your hands! :wink:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:33 am

Thanks for the reply.

As usual, I'll be getting ready right up to the last minute. My limited observations and word of mouth says there's lots of birds out there. That will be a nice change from years past.

Good luck!

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I was out there tonight and finished up our blind in Goose Bay and there were birds everywhere. The youths should have a really good shoot this weekend. Hopefully the weather stays cool. Good luck to all the kids.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:01 am

I was out in gander bay saturday morning. thee was ton of birds in the rice and a a lot working in the air. SHould work out just fine both days of the weekend. The water level could be a little higher but it will work out just time.
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks for the posts. They are very encouraging.

Good luck to all!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby ronvt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:39 am

I am taking a youth out for the weekend. I am almost more excited about taking a newbie out for the first time than opening day of duck season. Last time I mentered, the birds were not flying as much and I felt a tremendous amount of pressure. This time we have an incredible blind site with lots of birds. I plan on posting some pics.
ronvt
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:58 am

We had a good weekend.

Saturday morning ended a bit early due to the cold and Sunday was great in the rain. Not too many ducks taken, but a good time was had. But, it is tough being out there...unarmed!!

How about you?
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm

1 for 25 Saturday morning. 1 for 12 Sunday. Overall, great times and lotsa laughs. It was great to see so many birds. My youth also invented the "Duck Hunters Shimmy".
ronvt
hunter

Postby HJF » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Brought my 9 y.o. daughter out for her first duck hunt saturday morning....needless to say it was a great success!! She killed her limit by 9:30 including her first duck (drake black hanging over the decoys) an amazing 30 yard crosser on a greenhead, and 2 teal with 1 shot coming into the decoys. 2 3/4" HD 4's out of her 20 ga. really did a job on the birds, but kind of got expensive with the 8 shots to anchor a crip. :yes:

All smiles

First duck

Final tally 1greenhead, 2 hen mallards, 1 black and 2 GWT

My hunting partner who was with us, said the highlite of the morning was father and daughter bonding over the heaters in the boat :lol3:
HJF
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting