He shot my decoys!

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

He shot my decoys!

Postby ronvt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 pm

I thought the spread of floaters looked real. I just never thought anyone would shoot them. Set up on the Lake Saturday and someone snuck down through the cattails and shot two floaters. After I yelled HEY we paddled in and he apologized. I am sure it was embarrasing since he shot them on the water, only around 5 yards from our heads. He gave us two of his decoys as a replacement and his name and address in case others were damaged. I am just glad no one was hurt. I think he was sincere and we parted on good terms. Anyone else have dekes shot?
ronvt
hunter

Re: He shot my decoys!

Postby chambo32 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:19 pm

And people wonder why jump shooting has a bad rep. A persons adrenaline gets running ,common sense and realty disapear. I had somebody try and sneek my turkey decoy in the middle of a field. He had no idea until I stood up. I bought a lottery ticket that night?
chambo32
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:34 am

Years ago, II had a small kid with his dad sneak in from behind and blow the head off of a cork black duck that has been in my family for more than 50 years. They didn't even suggest fixing it. I'd say you made out ok. I guess I don't get the fun in bellycrawling through the muck just to groundswat a duck or goose.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:47 am

I think if he came and apologized, and then gave you two decoys to make up for the ones that he had shot, you really can't complain too much. There still are some decent people out there hunting, that are still willing to do the right thing.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby IslandHunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:09 pm

I think you're extremely fortunate that you were not directly in the line of the jump-shooters fire - amazing to me that someone would stalk & fire on decoys in the first place. Glad to hear their heart was in the right place w/the apology & decoy replacement..
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:42 pm

idk about some of you but i will go and walk around and jump shoot and i know others who do the same mostly cus they don't have a boat or blind access i always make sure that the bird is in the air when i shoot tho and i have mistaken deeks for the real deal.. lets face it there getting to be a lot more realistic.. Its nice that the guy did that i would have done the same thing.. But lets just remember that not everyone has the opertunity to go out in a boat or blind.. Luckly i do :wink:
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting