Duck Hunting Forum banner

setting decoys for divers

872 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ronvt 
#1 ·
I haven't hunted for divers out on the big lake yet and am wondering how you guys set your decoys.

I have some bluebill dekes and a ton of mallards, plus some black duck dekes. Do you use a gang rig or just throw them out individually? I have read about the gang rigs but am a little confused on how to set them.
Do you use a single anchor in fairly deep water or two and then hook deks up in a line or what.

Thanks

#2 ·
I try to hunt divers when the puddle ducks are gone. Some years they are here to the end. Usually, i am in deeper water off shore. Although we have hunted them a few feet from the shore where there are some points projecting into the lake. We always use a gang line with around 12 dekes per line. We usually set a minimum of 36 and sometimes more. We use two anchors at the end of each of the gangline. You can get away with one if you only use one line, but if the wind shifts and you have more, they can get tangled. Happy hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.