Goin' South- Litte Otter Creek WMA

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Goin' South- Litte Otter Creek WMA

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:15 am

On Tuesday the 13th I will have the opportunity to hunt the middle part of the lake.

Last year I went to Little Otter Creek WMA for the first time, parking at the Hawkins Road ramp. I paddled lakeward and set my kayak up near the confluence of the East and South Slang. Very enjoyable, but no ducks or shots taken that day. It was mid-season so not many hunters were out there.

I'm considering visiting again early Tuesday morning for a hunt before a work appointment. Of course this is the last day of the first season. Can I expect lots and lots of hunters out there? Semi unfamiliar to the area, I don't want to screw any regulars up, or worst yet, still be paddling at shooting time.

The south slang appears unaccessable except by kayak or very small boat. Is this true? I tend to work harder for good places to hunt.

Thanks for any information you can share. PM's taken and respected! :thumbsup:

NW_Vermont.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: Goin' South- Litte Otter Creek WMA

Postby Champney » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:39 pm

I hunt little otter alot due to I have a blind in there and i can say it gets a ton of pressure. On opening day last year I pulled in the access at 2:15am and there was 12 trucks already there. after 4 the parking lot and the sides of the road were covered too. after the first two days I can say its shot out. I hunted the friday last yearafter the opener too and there was nothing wanting to come into the decoys at all.
Champney
hunter

Postby HotDog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:16 am

I was out there last year on the openner.
It was SCARY/HILARIOUS for about the first hour or so. Its like everyone is so worked up that they just burn ammo for the sheer thrill of it.
It's hard to imagine any ducks surviving, but the truth is most shots are skybusting and the birds get educated.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 am

Wow, being that crowded would make me want to hunt elsewhere!

How about south of Hawkins Road, opposite the boat launch? I don't recall any truck/trailer/boat access on that side. Is this true?

Tx.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:04 pm

The only way to get over there with a boat is under the bridge other than that its by canoe. I have found dead ducks many times last year over there were people walk in and skybust stuff then the duck lands in the creek and its too deep to go get it. so they leave it there. I found 2 teal, 3 woodies, a black duck and two mallards last year.
Champney
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 am

Thanks all, for your help.

I'll try to get in there tomorrow.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:16 am

Original poster here-

I had a good morning. Hunted for a few hours. Brought home one bird, had a nice visit with the warden and stayed dry.

Thanks again for all of your input.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting