how you guys doing?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

how you guys doing?

Postby goldeneye13 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Just wanted to know how all of you guys going. We've been trying to get into birds here in the northern part of the lake. But it's tuff. Getting 30 mph wind out of the south can be good..... It's tuff.... Look's like I"M gonna have to take days off during the week... The weather's better during the week. Last sunday dad and I got 4 divers. It was classic decoys shooting... what a blast we had.... Not seeing much malards. how about you guys?

Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Re: how you guys doing?

Postby Hunter From WI » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:55 pm

nothing down here in the Cambridge area...

I'd kill to go out on the lake if I only had a boat.

It's tough finding a place to go where I can have access to land or trails without knowing someone who has hunted the areas before.

:help:
Hunter From WI
hunter

Postby SWG » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:39 pm

I had an incredible morning today! I think just about every Canada goose in Chittenden County was in the same field I was, not to mention a group of a dozen mallards. Might be time to put away the decoys, I won't top it again :smile:
SWG
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:16 pm

I have been hitting the mallards hard untill the last few days. I shot mallard limits 3 days in a row. now I dont see anything but geese. Ive been watching a field with 1800 canadas in it since wensday and only half were in there today so we might hit it tomorrow.
has anybody been seeing snows around? I saw some last month in addison but wasnt worth hunting.
Champney
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Saturday morning...got 2 geese, and no wind and warm.......nothing flying just too warm to mooooove them.....corn field hunting......anybody hunt the Big Lake today...how was the wind??
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Been one of the slowest starts for me in my normal opener area for ducks. The early cold pushed most birds out. There are some divers down early which helps. Finally broke the unlucky streak and shot a two man limit of canadas today. The geese are really feeling the pressure and are not easy to pattern. The birds we watched did not leave the roost untill 930 and only a few came back by 1:30. I think they are feeding all day untill 4 or 5pm and then staying to roost.
Had a loafing spot with 300 Canada's ruined by a jump shooter who only wounded one and lost it to boot. He also said he was going to hunt that spot the next day too after he jumped shot them. All he had to do was sit on the shore the next day and wait for them. I think there are some people that are kind of dense about hunting the same spot after shooting at them the day before. It pays to let the birds settle and get comfortable with a location. There are better ways to hunt if you don't have decoys or a call. Going to hunt up near the border tomorrow for some divers. The wind is going to be a little better. Anybody know if there are any new Puddlers up at Mississiquoi. Good luck to ya all.
chambo32
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:42 pm

the lake was WINDY!
ducks were moving in the am.
One mallard after a few "practice" shots.
It's nice when its not too crowded as the ducks can work.
I just need to mind my distance.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Interesting year so far in many ways:

Seems like local puddlers definitely flew out of the area on that early cold spell. We've found puddlers to hunt, but MUCH more scouting and driving literally to all corners of the state to find them. Still getting enough birds to limit/almost limit on 2-4 man hunts, but working somewhat harder in general to get them. The ones we're shooting are big bodied & fuller/later plumage (real beauties, actually) than I'm accustomed to seeing at this point in the season - seem to be early migrators. They are somewhat wary from hunting, but have been working to the dekes OK.

On the other hand, there's CRAZY numbers of geese all over the state this year. We're finding enough flocks of uneducated birds to enjoy some excellent "in your face" decoying & shooting on interior zone birds coming to cut corn & alfalfa. One bad development is that we have an influx of new hunters using our fields in the Champ. Islands. Very nice fellas, but they're using turkey chokes to pick-off geese out of huge flocks at huge ranges even as the birds are decoying into the spread. The birds are adjusting to this approach swiftly, and starting to avoid decoys at all costs. I hate to complain, but we've always tried to shoot the small flocks, in close when possible, so little to no birds get away any the wiser. It's nice to leave some birds birds uneducated enough to decoy for another hunting party, if not your own on the next outing :-)

OK, I'll step down off the soapbox now & just say it has been tremendous fun "cracking the code" to find birds during this slightly funky-so-far season, and we're looking forward to seeing what the remainder brings. Best of luck to all VT hunters!
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Did well the 1st 2 weeks but not too many flying now. Have seen more mallards then usual and the usual woodies and teal.
Past two days had to work hard to get a shot. Only one teal this AM. Not going out this afternoon due to other things to do.
I have been seeing a lot of snows by DC but all going different directions so hard to figure. Had a flock of Canada's go over tree top high. Only problem they were acroos the bay from me. And no one there to shoot at them!!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Got 3 geese this morning .....might have got some ducks if I had some deeks out!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Champney » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm

did a little scouting before dark tonight and found 62 mallards and 22 blacks. the only reason i think they were there is because there are huge no trespassing signs around the private beach. I watched them fly to a swamp right before dark so im probably going to try that tomorrow, but think there local ducks still.
maybe the snow this Thursday will push some ducks down, i know im hunting it.
Champney
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:47 pm

2 guns this AM.....3 geese and 1 duck......not a lot flying, not as cold and windy and precip as predicted..........
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Hunter From WI » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:04 pm

been chasing one flock of geese around all week. Just cant get close enough at the right time.

Duck, you want company?
Hunter From WI
hunter

Postby Champney » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:23 pm

are you guys at the north end of the lake? there are tons of mallards and blacks were ive been hunting the last two days. I just dont hunt the swamps anymore and yesterday I got 12 shots but all my gun would do is click. all the mallards were landing in the spread even after I left.
I dont even hunt ducks anymore without seeing them the night before and havent been skunked yet. i think mid season you just have to be on the x.
as for geese the are three flocks of around 200 birds still in the area but maybe im just doing alot of scouting.
Champney
hunter

Postby Hunter From WI » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I have an extra gun :biggrin:
Hunter From WI
hunter

Postby mailyard » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Shot 5 limits of ducks on south end of champlain have seen a butt load of black ducks. They are swarms of them the usual suspects, teal, woodies, black and mallards. No bands or oddities, have also been laying in the fields for geese have got 10 canadas again no bands or oddities. Would like to go kill some teal before they leave.
mailyard
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Having a nice week so far of ducks and geese on the big rivers of the interior zone & my Golden is sleeping very well most nights. Enjoying fast paced shooting over the decoys in cut corn, oxbows, and sandbars along the water. No bands or funkies for us either, just canadas, mallards, blacks, a few woodies and the odd bufflehead. I take that back, I did shoot my first brant ever while hunting on the Winooski! Time to rest these spots and hit my blind on the northern end of the lake this weekend. If the birds aren't there, then will drag the boat down to the southern end and scout for the next hunt(s).

Champney - I have to second you regarding patterning the birds prior to the morning's hunt. That is absolutely the way to avoid the ole' skunk-a-roo!
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby HJF » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:21 pm

mailyard wrote:Shot 5 limits of ducks on south end of champlain have seen a butt load of black ducks. They are swarms of them the usual suspects, teal, woodies, black and mallards. No bands or oddities, have also been laying in the fields for geese have got 10 canadas again no bands or oddities. Would like to go kill some teal before they leave.

Sorry "A" we have been short stopping them on you. I will tell Larry to let a few thru this weekend as I am chasing Bambi with the kiddo :thumbsup:

and you want to shoot a little teal...... kind of like this? :biggrin:

HJF
hunter

Postby mailyard » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:21 pm

I would appreciate it.... He only shoots banded birds, right??
mailyard
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

I hunted on the lake off of West Swanton on Sunday. We shot a pile of Mergs. We also got a Ring Ding a Buffle and Two Canadians. We saw A couple high flocks of lakers literally coming outa Canada but they dint even give us a look. Hopefully we get another good cold snap to push em down.
I wish all birds would diek up like those Mergs, man they are fun to shoot but they taste like crap!
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby ronvt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Hunted dead creek refuge yesterday. Two of us took 7 snows, 1 blue goose and 1 canada goose. 9 birds with 10 shots. This is our first time we shot any birds on the refuge so we were probably due. Saw thousands of snows, it is always such an amazing sight.
ronvt
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, Saturday morning in the northern Champlain duck blind yielded a couple of can's and a few big ducks for our team of three, and I guess we actually lucked-out to have the heavy southeast wind push those birds into our shooting range. We did spot several flocks of divers both rafted and flying, so we set up for those on Sunday and shot our limits of lesser scaup and picked up a couple more big ducks as well. This would be the earliest I've ever set up specifically for divers, but that seems to be what's mostly around where we decided to hunt. I checked the hunting sign-outs at the Missiquoi each day, and it looks like the swamps are all but dead at present. Hoping for a return of the big flocks of Can's and some better concentrations of big ducks on our end of the lake in the very near future...
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby ronvt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 am

Hunted Saturday in the north end of the lake. Saw hundreds of mallards if not more. I think they are starting to move down. I have talked to several hunteres who have scored well in the missisquoi however, it seems to be all the blinds that are hard to reach are where the birds are.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:12 pm

i would think the mallards should show up anytime. in quebec it single digits all week and in the negitives at night. should frezz up soon.
Champney
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:25 pm

had a Blast & Cast trip to Champlain yesterday.........got one 4.5 # bass and one Mallard drake........one released, one not!!
warm day, ducks were just sitting and enjoying the warmth!! saw divers & puddlers!!
Too friggin warm!!!!!! went goose hunting this AM not much around, and let 3 lone mallard hens live!!
duckin-A
hunter

Next

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting