how you guys doing?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Re: how you guys doing?

Postby Goldenboy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:58 pm

The big lake is the place to be. Lots of geese but very few ducks in the south central part of the state. Early woodies and then nothing for quite a few days until a single Black drake today. Does anyone here hunt Ct. river near Windsor or Springfield Dam area?
Goldenboy
Newb

Postby IslandHunter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 am

We're still managing some fine shooting in the cut corn fields along the big rivers. One of our hunting party shot a banded mallard hen yesterday, and another shot a banded goose several days ago - both sort of a rarity for the areas we are hunting in. The goose was a juve banded in Mallets Bay, and we're waiting to hear on the mallard. The ducks still seem a little scarcer than some years, but are still providing good action when we set up for them. The geese have been plentiful and are still working to the dekes & calls nicely. No rocket science here - we're just resting the fields after a good shoot, then follow the birds as they establish their next feeding pattern.

I have been driving up to check out the Missiquoi shooting reports and the last several weeks have seemed really slow, by my estimation. While scouting some of the blind locations, I've only been able to spy ringnecks in any numbers to speak of. Spoke w/the refuge manager at length yesterday and he confirmed the same. They're seeing predominantly ringneck, a few woody stragglers, and very few big ducks. He said the late summer rice production was good, and is now flooding the way the birds like, but they can't explain why there aren't more birds in the area to take advantage of the easy feeding.
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 pm

We hunted outa our blind in Goose Last friday night and saw a few birds and only got a chance at two woodies and dropped em both. We saw a few good sized flocks of lakers but they dint come into the bay.
On saturday mornin we hunted in West Swanton and Shot our Two Limits of Goldeneyes by 9:30. This is the second morning we have done well at that spot and we are still seeing a good amount of birds out there. We plan on hunting there again in the morning and the next few. I will let you know how we do.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:56 pm

great hunting.....how are those whistlers in the EATing dept??? never had any! but am interested.
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:00 am

Well,
Dead Creek has been exactly that DEAD!!!! I have been out the last 2 weekends and haven't seen a duck , except on the refuge of course. Went out today and thought maybe I could catch the snows coming off the refuge but of course they went sounth and I never saw one. On my way home I pulled off on Gage road and there they were on the North side of the road,(Refuge side),
Those damn birds fly to the edge of the road adn then turb back into the refuge area!!!! VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Hope for some cold weather before the season ends!!!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:09 pm

hunted Champlain today below the condemned bridge .....early very foggy, birds flying but not decoying well.or not at all.....lots of divers flying.......my partner managed a goose, a green head and a GWT........not much came close........left just as the big rain started!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:03 am

Hey Duckin,

What time were you down there? I took a drive down by the boat launch south of there and it was so foggy couldn't see a thing!!
That was around 8 or 9. Kinda ready to give up on Dead Creek this year.
Have you ever gone back Whitney creek ? Looks pretty "ducky" from the road.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:30 pm

we went out about 630 and picked our way thru the fog.......hunted till about 12......fog was in & out........wind switched to North....but didnt bring much.......not sure where whitney creek is??
anyone get out on the big lake on saturday????
duckin-A
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:43 pm

While I do agree the birds are much more scarce than previous years, the problem I have been having in the missisqoui is not the lack of birds but the lack of hunters. People have been looking at the checkout box and deciding not to hunt since the bag reports are 1-2 birds if any. I am seeing quite a few blacks, mallards and widgeons with the the occasional teal still lingering around and a few divers. The birds are decoy shy and finding refuge near other unhunted blinds. Usually there are more hunters which keeps the birds flying and moving around. I took a newbie out Sat and he missed his first 12 mallards. The bag limits have been awful but I do see plenty of birds.

As far as the concentration of birds decreased, I think the reason is the extremely wet summer/fall in Canada. As of two weeks ago many fields still had corn. I am not sure, but I do not believe there is much communication between our state and Quebec. Some of the biologists seem to believe the birds are moving down more on the NY side since there is more available food. By the time it freezes and the big concentration of birds move down, our season will be over. I am hoping this cold snap will provide some large puddle ducks over the next two weeks.
ronvt
hunter

Postby wingset » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:32 pm

ronvt,

I sure would like to know where the heck you are seeing the birds in Missisquoi. I have hunted 8 out of the last 14 days and have seen very little. There are a few flocks loafing in the refuge; but the numbers are so small that are not venturing to the public hunting areas.

The refuge guys say that there are about 1/3 the ducks that the refuge normally holds. This was based on a bird count last Monday.

I hope things change soon...
wingset
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:59 pm

I to have been hunting around there and have seen a good amount of birds. We have mostly been hunting in west swanton on the lake and are seeing many flocks of divers, we saw a flock of a COUPLE thousand mergs today fresh outa canada. Luckily where we have been hunting there have been a few other hunting groups and the divers seem to move all day here.
A buddy of mine hunted outa his blind next to mine in goose bay and shot 4 on thursday morning. They did see a fair amount of birds but def. not the amount we saw during the second opener. The birds dint wanna work and like ronvt said without the presure they dont wanna move.
There has also been some divers out by rock river and im sure the numbers will grow over the next few days.
I agree the amount of birds may be down, but if you look, you will find birds. We have been trying new things and new setups and have been scratching out a few birds just about every day for the last week and a half.
Gonna hit em hard again in the morning.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Wingset, I have seen more birds in the Missisqoui this week than the last 3 weeks combined. I would guess that I am seeing around 1/10th the bird concentration that I normally see at this time of year (with the exception of last years freeze out), not a third. I probably saw 150-200 mallards/blacks yesterday. I only saw one small flock of divers.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 pm

went out Saturday to isle lamant and say a single and a flock of mallards and thats it. We first went to missiqoui but decided that 9 boats (prob in gander bay due to the wind) was probably enough. I seem to be having better luck down at dead creek than any were else the last 2 weeks but there all local birds and I have been moving to different potholes every time.
Champney
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 am

anyone hunt Maquam Bay.....i have been there in the summer but not hunting??
duckin-A
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 pm

I've hunted Maquam out of a boat blind on multiple occasions, and have had excellent shooting at times. It favors a north wind, obviously, and when the refuge is getting gunned hard the birds will sometimes head straight over to that shoreline & the nearby shallows. The only issue there is that the southern exposure put you at a disadvantage on brighter days - not a big deal if you play the weather right. The last time I hunted there I saw a small flock of canvasbacks rafting on the submerged sandbar that lies just south of the shoreline. They wouldn't work to our dekes but were a rare and beautiful sight to behold!
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:00 pm

got into some whistlers. never hunted goldeneyes before so it was very amusing(shot 2 boxes of shells). never had divers decoys like these before even while we were standing up on a rock they landed in the decoys. cant wait to go again!
Sat: 2 limits, 24 then picked up another guy who shot 3.
Sun: 2 limits by noon.
ended up with 27 goldeneyes and 3 mergansers over the two days.
Champney
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Found the puddle ducks on Saturday in flooded areas after the high water. We pounded them until the inland season closed, 2 guys shot 39 in 4 days. Mostly mallards, but also blacks, a couple widgeon, a pintail, and a greyduck. I've never decoyed larger flocks of ducks, all the flocks were 20+ birds, most 50+, and several we figured at 300+. Didn't see a single or pair in 4 days of hunting. With this cold snap coming, the big lake could be pretty good at the end of the season.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi can someone tell me how to post pictures on here......?? thanks
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:44 pm

i just copy and paste the link on photobucket next to the pic. (the img link)
Champney
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:34 am

thanks I forgot about the photobucket part........ :fingerhead: good hunting
duckin-A
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:50 pm

IMG_4050-2.jpg
IMG_4050-2.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 411 times

itz easier hitting ducks than posting pictures i think!!
last Sat /Sun on big lake
IMG_4038.JPG
duckin-A
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Made it out this morning and shot 4 whislters. Got to say it might take the cake for the coldest day I have ever duck hunted.

I have had the week off, but have not done as well as I was hoping for. The whistlers don't seem to be moving much after first light. Going to give it a good go for the last day. Hope to do a little better.

Anybody else going out tomorrow?
chambo32
hunter

Postby pdub » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am

I'll be out. Shoot a couple ducks and take down the blinds. It's been a good year. I hope everyone else had a good one.
pdub
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Today was brutally cold and we stuck it out until 1:00 and we had alot of whistlers and mergansers,and some blacks and a group of 5 mallards,but early on at first light guns froze up and would not chamber second and third rounds,but we got it figured out and after a bit,had some good shooting!Myself nailed 4 ducks,2 whistler drakes and a hen merganser and a drake merganser,other than that,we were breaking ice in the decoys!!!!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:44 pm

went out thursday. we took 2 hours to get the boat off the trailer the got out to were we thought was 1000 whistlers and were all mergansers. then we statred to throw out are whistler decoys and the stupid birds landed in the decoys wgile the boat was still floating around and we were putting out decoys. we shot 10 mergs in 10 min (two of us).
then went out today and we shot two hen goldenyes and a mallard and the last hour found a raft of 1500+ goldenyes behond the ice on keller bay. tried to get them but they wanted to make there own raft.
overall had the best duck season ever this year!
Champney
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting