Any birds at north end of the lake?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Any birds at north end of the lake?

Postby Johnmcd » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:41 pm

It was a terrible weekend on the southern end, just wondering if theres any movement up north?
Johnmcd
hunter

Re: Any birds at north end of the lake?

Postby goldeneye13 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:47 pm

If it's of any consolation, we saw lots of canada geese and a couple of flocks of bluebill in the Alburg area. But nothing to compare with the week before... Whe've been amered with a gusty south wind that enables you to go to most of the good hunting spots because you're to expose to the wind.

Went out this morning saw 4 woodys, 3 widgeon and 1 malard. the only thing that decoyed was that malard. I've haven't heard much shooting here this morning....

That for what i saw...

Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm

I went out in the middle part of the lake in a bay and had mallards committing like nothing. setup on a shore with my ground blind with 3 dozen goose fbs and 3.5 dozen duck floaters and ended up shooting 3 mallards, 1 merganser, a black duck and a brant(never seen one in my life). there was probably over 50 mallards in the area and a dozen divers. lots of geese still around. probably go back later in the week when i have money to buy more shells.
Champney
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am

Hunted the north end of the Lake Sat. Extremely high winds. I think the birds had a hard time flying. Saw a few mallards and mergs, very little geese flying. Gusts were up to 50mph with a 20 sustained, I think it was too warm as I hunted with a t-shirt and fleece. The temp was 70.
ronvt
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:36 am

Scouted for 2 hours sunday morning right near the boader looking for the rafts we had seen last weekend and they were gone. Except fpr the 2000 divers we saw high heading north. Did find a couple of whistlers to hunt and managed 7 with some poor shooting though. I aggree the birds are not hear yet.
chambo32
hunter

Postby Johnmcd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:03 pm

any better yet?
Johnmcd
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Still are rafts of blue bills (1500 each) on both sides of the north end of Alburg. I have a feeling they have been there a while as they were cautious of the boat.

Shot 12 Blue bills on Saturday and then did not even fire a shot on Sunday as the fog did not lift till 10 am.

Any divers down near the bridge or otter creek?
chambo32
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm

some bluebills by ferrisburg but not as many as the buffys and goldeneyes. not too many divers down in the midlle of the state yet just a few dozen.
Champney
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:32 pm

We say about 70 whistlers out near the mouth of the Lamoille.. Until there is a hard freeze up North there won't be many around yet..
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby wyatt802 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am

12 Bluebills? I hope there was at least 6 of you. There does seem to be a a fair amount of Bluebills around. I have been out 3 times in the last 10 days and other than the Bluebills, we have only seen a few small bunches of Goldeneyes, a couple flocks of Mallards and a few Black ducks.
wyatt802
Newb

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting