Colchester Duck Hunting

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Colchester Duck Hunting

Postby adan1985 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:08 am

Hi, I just moved to Colchester VT and I'm look for some places to Duck Hunt, anyone have any places they'd like to share in the area?
adan1985
Newb

Re: Colchester Duck Hunting

Postby duckin-A » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm

too bad no one wants to share their Hot spots.......pretty typical I guess that good spots are protected and people dont want to share, but just get out and scout......look along the lake...do you have a boat?? wait till the cold get 'em moving!! too warm now but local ducks & geese are around but see lots of pressure. being new to the area I guess you are just gonna have to do your homework!! good luck..........maple syrup and jerky will open some doors too!! :beer:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 am

Welcome to Colchester and welcome to a regional "hot spot" for ducks and geese. Where did you move from?

If you are not familiar with Lake Champlain, you must understand that she deserves respect. Whether you are in a canoe or a 25 foot duck slaying machine, you must be aware of winds and weather when you are out there. The weather can change very quickly, even for a "small" body of water. And, of course, swimming, intentional or not, is not advised! :fingerpt:

The State of Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife would be a good place to start your search. They have good information on line for your to review. Public lands are open to you and we are fortunate to have several options.

Good luck, welcome and keep us posted. :beer:

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby adan1985 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for the Responses. I know I'll have to do my own homework to find a good spot. I've heard from a few people that Mill Pond has small ducks like Teal and Woodies. I've also heard some shooting coming from there on the weekends so I figured I would give that a try.

I moved from Addison VT and I've been hunting on the lake for years. I didn't think anyone would give me their hot spots of where they go, I guess I should have asked where are places to avoid...

I'll try to do some scouting but its hard now, by the time I get out of work it is already dark :smile:

Thanks
adan1985
Newb

Postby NW_Vermont » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:30 am

Addison, VT, eh? Flatlander!!! :wink:

Do you have a boat? Dog?

Search the Vermont forum for a detailed account of hunting off the Colchester end of the "causeway" between Colchester and South Hero. I've never explored this option, despite the good info shared. This was posted last year I think, so look a ways back.

it sounds like you are young...(ugg-I can't believe I'm saying that) but if you are mobile, the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge in Swanton has a lottery system in place for some very sweet hunting spots. This is something else I've never done, mostly due to my unfamiliarity with the whole thing. Ronvt here on these boards appears to visit the refuge several times per season.

Hope this helps.

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby ronvt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am

Right now I would say there are no hot spots, just good scouting. As far as the Missisquoi goes, it's public hunting now. You need a boat and a dog to hunt most of the areas. A dog is required unless you are hunting jr areas. Stop in the refuge and talk to the refuge manager and you will get all the info you want. From S. hero it is 35 min. I was up there over the weekend and the big ducks are starting to increase in numbers. Sandbar can also be productive at times but it is slow so far this year. Hope this helps.
ronvt
hunter

Postby tvbrewster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Sand Bar area can be good depending the pressure and the direction of the wind. NW wind hunt behind the Motel, South wind hunt the north side to the east of the beach. You can also hunt amongst the blinds built on the south east side up against the refuge. Don't be Intimidated by the sticks in the mud with someones name; if they arent there hunt it. Also check out the Sandbar Strip. It is a deeded to the State strip of land inside the Vt State Refuge; catch is it MUST be left open to hunting. Lots of great pass shooting on the strip. Go in when the strip is frozen and drag you blind in then, construct the blind with an ice auger to drill your corner post holes. Trust me you'll never do it when it's mud & water. Check out the old railroad "Fill" You can park and walk out on the or hunt it with a boat. Also check out the two islands off the fill there is always some good shooting to be had off of Law & Sunset Island. Great salmon fishing at both of the cuts on the "Fill" also. Streamers or Minnows work great starting in Mid April and again in the fall. PM me if you need more info I've got all sorts of VT spots and I'm more than willing to share.
tvbrewster
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting