2009 VT Youth Deer Weekend

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

2009 VT Youth Deer Weekend

Postby HJF » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Took the weekend off from duck hunting to bring my 9 year old daughter out for youth deer season. This is her second year going deer hunting, and last year she was lucky enough to kill a 132 lb. doe. Sunday morning was much like last year, we were watching a large field and at 6:25 a single doe came out about 200 yards to our left angling towards us. A few minutes later it had closed the gap to 100 yards, but my daughter was having a hard time seeing the crosshairs on the walking deer in the dim light. Finally it stopped broadside to us, she says "I see them now!" and POW! A 55 grain Barnes TSX bullet out of her .223 plowed into the right side of the deer, it jumped up then donkey kicked and dissapeared over a small rise in the field. I told her I thought she made a good hit and she felt confident about the shot also. We packed up our gear and gave it 15 minutes, walking over to the spot the deer had been standing, there was no question on the shot, there was ALOT of blood. I started following the blood with my head down (she was at the initial hit point) got 20 yards away and looked up, there was the deer stone dead in a tall clump of stubble. Upon gutting it, the shot was perfect, right behind the shoulder putting a quarter size hole in each lung and a complete pass thru. I guess all the time and the hundreds (if not thousands) of rounds fired at the range this summer payed off. It weighed in at 120 lbs. and was a nice fat mature doe with no fawns.

walking up

happy girl :thumbsup:

Last edited by HJF on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJF
hunter

Re: 2009 VT Youth Deer Weekend

Postby Johnmcd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 pm

that is awesome, congrats to her and you :thumbsup:
Johnmcd
hunter

Postby mailyard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

awesome can't wait to take my boys out when they get old enough
mailyard
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks for sharing!!

My son and I went hunting on our land on Sunday. We're all sick so that's the best we could do. Didn't see anything, but that's what you get when you put in minimal effort!

I'm dying to get back in the duck boat. It's been almost two weeks! I'm guessing that he's going to want to go deer hunting Saturday and I can't say that I blame him. Who am I to complain!

Good luck to all, no matter what you are after!

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm

nice job! A freind of mine shot a 8 pointer on his farm.
Champney
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting