snow geese

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

snow geese

Postby Champney » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I saw a report on DU that there were increasing numbers of snows in NY and didnt know if anybody has seen any in VT. I know theres a thousand or so in addison but didnt know if any new birds showed up yet.
Champney
hunter

Re: snow geese

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:38 am

I was just down there yesterday and it looks to be about the same number of geese as last week. Hard to tell as they land in that pond back there and you can't see many of them. Son and I are going to try for gese this weekend. I'll post if we have any luck. :smile:
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby owlman33 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 pm

I just read an article from some newspaper in VT that said the numbers of snow geese coming through VT has dropped significantly. They said that their numbers weren't going down but they were shifting their migration route more towards NY because the farming practices in VT are becoming more efficient and resulting in less waste grain being left in the fields and the birds are responding to that. Makes me wonder if it's affecting the Canadian geese movements as well.
owlman33
hunter

Postby Champney » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:19 pm

I have been believing that since I started hunting because all the corn fields and oats are plowed in November. This year Ive only seen a quarter of the fields plowed and a couple still being cut. I also have been seeing hundreds of more Canada geese than past years. I think if the wet weather stays the same every year the Canada's will be fine but the snow have already made there change.
I found out in the spring that NY is the place to go for spring snows and maybe now its the same for fall.
Champney
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Well I have not seen the fields still un cut this late in a long time,but the geese are here,(Cans),the snows are at Dead Creek,but nothing like they should be,wounder if New York State is the place too be for snows? I know they were there in the spring,but they are always there in the fall too! Well only the geese know for sure! Ride it out and see what they do! Check out Nodak Outdoors,they keep a good eye on the snow goose migration,lots of people from all over log in to talk about the geese,and what they are seeing,can get good info to help you make up your mind on Vt hunting or NY hunting!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5