Maine Sea Duck Hunting

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Maine Sea Duck Hunting

Postby chambo32 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Went Sea duck Hunting last weekend with Traditions Guide Service, Captain Troy Fields. Had a great shoot. Ended the morning with 17 birds with three guns. Fast and furious shooting. 12 Eiders, 4 Scoters and a perfect Drake Oldsquaw. Troy really knows his sea ducks. I would recommend it to anyone. He hunts just 20 miles south of Portland which is about 3.5 hours from Burlington.

chambo32
hunter

Re: Maine Sea Duck Hunting

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:24 am

Awesome!! Yea my girl and i went to old orchard beach this past Aug and i got some nice pics of some scoters and seeing them i told her i'll be back here real soon hunting them hopefully! Sounds like you had a blast!! If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost of your trip? I'd like to take my dad as a Xmas gift
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:07 pm

He charges about 200 per person depending on the number or people. There are some decent hotel rooms with two double beds for 55 a night. Then of coarse the license is about 80 for the year or 60 for three days. I pretty good deal. The best time he says is December and January. Also the sea duck season stays open until 1st of Feb.
chambo32
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:23 am

Nice and thank you i'll have to really look into it!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:33 pm

how are sea ducks for eating????
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Just had some eider stew. The all tasted like ducks we shoot here. Eider is a little milder than goldeneye and the scoter and long tail are about the same as goldeneye.
chambo32
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:38 pm

sounds like a good meat for jerky!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:22 pm

NO!!! NO JERKY!!! Made it one year with 5 goldeneyes we put it in milk for a night before sticking it in the dehydrator.. Took one bite when it was done and that was enough to toss it in the trash.. The dog wouldn't even eat it.. :eek:
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:39 pm

so VT DJ what recipes would you recommend for sea ducks ?? hope you found something that worked....sorry to hear about the bad jerky......I have been making goose & duck jerky quite successfully!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Have found no such luck.. Um the only i have heard of is make it into a pate (Thinks thats how its spelled) My dad wrote a letter to the newspaper asking the outdoor columnist what he does with his goldeneyes and thats what he said.. My dad and i both think he's full of s**t.. Best advice google it but idk..
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 am

I grew up on the Cape and have shot many sea ducks. They are absolutely disgusting any way you try to prepare them. I've tried jerky, gumbo, various tomato based recipes, soaking with milk, marinades, its all bad. I gave up shooting them 20 years ago because, in my opinion, they are inedible. Give me a mallard. goose, or even a bluebill, but please(!) no eider. Before you go and shoot a bunch of them you might want to try one to see for yourself.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby ronvt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:20 am

I take all my goldeneyes and make chili with them. I will brine 4 eyes with 1 cup cold water, 1 tablespoon ot organic sugar, 1 tablespoon of sea salt for 24 hours in a ziplock bag. Every time I go to the fridge i squeeze it. After 24 hours pour off the blood and soak it with buttermilk. Cube it and pan sear it before you put it into the chili. Throw in pinto, black, red beans, chili powder, cumin, nutmeg, allspice, chili peppers, cayenne, green peppers, onions and garlic, tomato paste, and tomatoes cubed. It is delicious. If you went to the DU banquet in burlington theres a good chance you had it and did not kbnow it.
ronvt
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm

that sounds very good..........most threads I read dont say much good about sea duck eating.......I have never hunted them but is sounds like lots of fun..and I would love to go, .....BUT I would hate to kill a bunch of ducks that had questionable eating quality that I might discard.........if they were Jerkyable then no problem!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm

My favorite simpliest way for cooking waterfowl is to take about 1 goose or three ducks in crokpot them for 12 hours in rootbeer. Then pour the rootbeer and other stuff from cooking out and pull the breast apart like pulled pork drop them back in for another hour or so with Sweet Baby Rays honey BBQ sauce. Then it on a nice hoggie bun and you are good to go. Even the pickest love it.

I bet it would even work with mergs
chambo32
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:54 pm

chambo32 wrote:My favorite simpliest way for cooking waterfowl is to take about 1 goose or three ducks in crokpot them for 12 hours in rootbeer. Then pour the rootbeer and other stuff from cooking out and pull the breast apart like pulled pork drop them back in for another hour or so with Sweet Baby Rays honey BBQ sauce. Then it on a nice hoggie bun and you are good to go. Even the pickest love it.

I bet it would even work with mergs

Idk give it a shot and tell us how it goest and if you say so then i'll stop over and have one before i decide if i should shoot mergs :thumbsup:
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:08 am

Oh - I always thought sea ducks were for giving to your neighbor when they hit you up for fresh game ;-)
IslandHunter
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting